Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Liquid Diet Blues

Oh man...I start my 2 week liquid diet tomorrow, and I am already an unhappy camper!! I just keep trying to tell myself "mind over matter" but I happen to have quite a great amount of "matter" that is screaming "EAT SOME FREAKIN' PIZZA!!!!!!!" Any advice or suggestions are welcome!!!!

I understand totally, I've been on the liquid diet 6 days now and it's a real adjustment. The night before my diet started I ate a couple pieces of cake and a serving and a half of the best italian I could find around here. The next day wasn't so bad. Just fill up on liquids and stay busy. I've also tried making my shakes hot or cold. The change has helped a little as well.

There's no getting around the idea that I miss food though, I'm not really hungry but I miss the enjoyment I got from eating it. I'm a little sad about it and I'm not sure how I'm going to do the 8 weeks liquids post op that my dr wants me to do.

I am feeling your pain. I am on day 3 of my pre-op diet and I am really struggling. It is really hard for me to do Protein Shakes. It's just not my thing. I have been eating a lot of Protein Bars instead, and drinking a lot of fluids, but I have been very hungry, :(

You go through the preop diet, then you have the surgery and you on liquids for at least a week, then you get pureed and the soft foods, then finally you get real food. It is the start of a long adjustment of changing how you eat. I have up and downs with being able to handle the changes. I about had a melt down before going to a Superbowl Party tonight. But the best thing is to focus onthe positive changes that are ahead of you. I must go to the only bariatric group in the country that does not recommend using any kind of Protein Drinks or bars. Sometime it makes it easier and harder but I am able to get in my Protein requirements with regular food.

That's interesting. If they don't recommend Protein shakes/ bars, how do you get through the liquid phase?

That's interesting. If they don't recommend Protein shakes/ bars' date=' how do you get through the liquid phase?[/quote']

I'm not quite sure which post you are referring to...my surgeon has his own brand of Meal Replacement that he wants us to use...it's actually quite good!

That's interesting. If they don't recommend Protein shakes/ bars' date=' how do you get through the liquid phase?[/quote']

Nevermind....I'm a dummy...I just read the post and saw what you were talking about! My bad!

Well wishes on the pre op!!

Well wishes on the pre op!!

Thanks a bunch!!

funny little story of my first pre-op liquid diet day: I work at a hotel (2 actually), but at this one, I had to bake Cookies for the afternoon and oh man....I love me some soft gooey chocolate chip cookies!! I can't stand crunchy or crispy cookies....so I WAY over-baked them on purpose until they were no longer appetizing to me! LOL!

By day 4 you will be feeling less hungry. I've done a 30 day juice fast in the past just for the hell of it... and I've also done liquid diets in the past for weight loss. Personally, I find them easier to stick to than trying to eat 1500 calories a day. For me when I draw the line in the sand that tells me "YOU WILL NOT EAT. PERIOD" then it's easier for me than getting just a tease of food and then still feeling hungry and accounting for calories and realizing that it's 2pm and you've already used up all your calories for the day... I said it's easier for me... but it's still not EASY! Just embrace the experience and be proud of yourself for doing this!

By day 4 you will be feeling less hungry. I've done a 30 day juice fast in the past just for the hell of it... and I've also done liquid diets in the past for weight loss. Personally, I find them easier to stick to than trying to eat 1500 calories a day. For me when I draw the line in the sand that tells me "YOU WILL NOT EAT. PERIOD" then it's easier for me than getting just a tease of food and then still feeling hungry and accounting for calories and realizing that it's 2pm and you've already used up all your calories for the day... I said it's easier for me... but it's still not EASY! Just embrace the experience and be proud of yourself for doing this!

This I totally understand. I don't have many problems giving up stuff, it's the trying to have it in moderation that gets me. I've accepted that this is just an experience I'm going to have to submit to if I want change to happen in my life.

That's interesting. If they don't recommend Protein shakes/ bars, how do you get through the liquid phase?

For my preop it was a blended diet and I could have skim milk, carnation Breakfast (sugarfree) , greek yogurt, regular yogurt, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs. I only was on a full liquid diet for one week after the surgery and used skim milk with the instant Breakfast or added powdered milk to it. It is not to hard to get the Protein in without the Protein powder. I try to get 50 to 60 grams of protein a day.

I too have a surgeon who has u off "optional" Protein supplementation by two weeks post op....he wants u to get the nutrition through real food not liquid calories.....very grateful for this