Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shocked by other Patients Choices immediatly after surgery

I have been shocked by some of the other patients choices immediatly after surgery. I am now thinking that the 6 month evaluation period that the USA makes people go through might be a good thing.

Two patients are on the top floors in the Mariott so they have access to food they serve there. They have been eating sushi, peanuts, pretzels ... "oh, but we are chewing them up really well."

Another patient had a beer and a margaritta 4 days out of surgery. She is a nurse who was successful with the lapband until it slipped and had to be removed. Then, we went out to eat outside of the Marriott and she ordered chicken. I ordered a broth Soup. It came with shredded chicken etc, I sipped on the broth. I will admit there was some small chunks of avacado that I sucked on until they were creamy.

Why are these people taking these sorts of risks.

I heard another patient give the 2 girls hell about what they were eating and they walked away.

You know if you aren't mentally ready to do the 6 weeks of post-op diet, you just aren't ready for this surgery; IMHO.

Mary

I totally agree. It is their choice, though, and they will suffer the consequences if they keep doing it.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but who cares!!! Don't worry about other people- it won't help you And the comparison judging isn't a healthy practice, even. If you are right!! We can't eat like other people and you obviously are following your surgeons recommendations- keep up the good work and focus your energy on YOU and positive messages!!

Yes, you both are right. I am still shocked though.

Mary

They will be the ones to suffer

Stupid is as stupid does.

Forrest Gump

If they live through it their chances of success are thinner than an ant's butt stretched across a rain barrel. <--(old Iowa saying).

I think it's less about judgment and more about being shocked someone would take those risks at that point. I haven't been the perfect patient either but I definite didn't do that DAYS after surgery. Though i was still in a lot of pain For the first week so food wasn't even really on my mind. That's a really risky chance to take less then a week after surgery that could potentially kill them. Say a prayer for them and walk away I guess. Not much else you can do. Your doing what you need to do and that's great!

I am shocked too, at what I read on these threads sometimes about what people say they eat. I'm not convinced it always has to do with the waiting period though. I did not have to wait 6 months. It was the one time I was happy my BMI was so high because my insurance waives the supervised diet/waiting for BMI over 50! I think post-op diet has to do with committment and dedication. Also, I do wonder how much education and reinforement of that people get. I had to take a test!

I don't know how they could even want those things at that point. I know I didn't want anything like that.. I was barely sipping my Water.< /p>

Mary I had the same experience when I was at the Marriot in September. One lady buying a bag of chocolate bars, another eating a creamy ice cream on a stick. I think that these people are clueless and it is sad that they have spent all this money and probably won't be successful.

To the poster who said "who cares". These will be the people who come on here and ask stupid questions and wonder why they get such negative responses. They then blame the sleeve for not working.

I read these things and wonder if they had the same surgery I had. 1) I could barely "stomach" the thought of real food right after surgery; 2) I had NO desire for anything like what you are describing; 3) I have had very few issues tolerating my food stages, but that early on I would have caused a leak by vomiting. I don't care- I'm judging. It's flat out outrageous behavior.

Where is this Mariott?

-Kendra

I was scared to eat when I was allowed to eat! Haha! When I was in MX there was a nurse patient smoking the whole time. I wonder how her healing went.

Honest I too am amazed that anyone would want food after this surgery but it happens. A lady had this same surgery right after me. Same surgery same surgeon..... a few hours after being brought to my room it was time for a walk around the halls. Really relieved the gas pressure. Anyway as I making the corner turn I hear this women's voice calling my name. As She approaches me she asked if I was hungery.... I said no are you kidding me? She looked at me with tears in her eye's & said no joke I am starving. I felt sad for her. I knew she had a rough road ahead.... I asked the surgeon about it. He said 50 % of his patients completely lose their appetite and those that do will have to remind their self to eat..... at that point I considered myself to be one of the lucky ones! I have spent my life struggling this drive to eat ...... And that landed me in the desperation of gross obesity.... wondering if I would ever find a way out...... Today I am 13 weeks post op and could not be more grateful..... My sleeve lets me know when it's time to eat. I get this empty hallow feeling and check my watch. Sure enough its been 4 hours or so and its time for food.< /p>

I got a long winded sorry for that......

Guess I just wanted to say I am so Happy and feel real lucky I was in the 50% that lost hunger & I love the freedom my sleeve has brought me...... NO MORE UNHEALTHY DRIVE FOOD... best wishes to all! Tina

I read these things and wonder if they had the same surgery I had. 1) I could barely "stomach" the thought of real food right after surgery; 2) I had NO desire for anything like what you are describing; 3) I have had very few issues tolerating my food stages, but that early on I would have caused a leak by vomiting. I don't care- I'm judging. It's flat out outrageous behavior.

Where is this Mariott?

-Kendra

The marriot is in Tijuana Mexico