Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fat, Normal or Skinny

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking and finally decided to join. I'm here contemplating surgery and just in the information gathering stage right now.

For those who have already had vertical sleeve surgery surgery, did you have the surgery to become a normal size or to be skinny, skinny seems to be a theme on some of the posts? I'm just not sure what a realistic expectation should be.

What has been the hardest part of your surgery, aftercare and maintenance?

Did this surgery boost your confidence?

Thank you.

I had surgery to get healthy...my goal is to be 170 pounds....and on my 5'2 frame...170 still has me as over weight...but its a heck of alot better than 339 pounds....

I dont think the surgery has boasted my confidence, I've always had high self-esteem...but I can tell you now it takes away my ability to binge eat...I was an emotional binge eater....it was nothing for me to hit burger king, jack in the box and taco bell in one evening because someone pissed me off....

I am still an emotional eater, but I am working on it with therapy...which I have my next session tomorrow...

The surgery doesnt clear up the mental issues of being overweight.....that's work you have to do BIG time afterwards....

My reasons are to help control comorbidities. I'm pre-diabetic and pre-hypertension on top of sleep apnea. Also help with my mobility because of MS and fibromyalgia. I'm not looking to be skinny. I want to be at a healthy weight. I don't have the goal of being in a size 4. I just don't want to be in a wheelchair.

I wanted a BMI squarely in the middle of the normal range. I weigh about 15 lbs. more than I did when I was in my mid-twenties, before I started gaining weight.

Hardest part of surgery was the first few days afterward. I spent 100% of my time focused on my recovery - taking pain meds, sipping fluids, sleeping and walking. I developed lactose intolerance (it's about all gone now almost two years out).

Hardest part of maintenance is just making the right choices. I could easily gain weight now and over time weigh the same as I did pre-op. I had a lot of training in how to do things correctly because I spent years in WW, but I am able to use those lessons now that I am less hungry and already at goal instead of ravenous 24/7 and struggling to lose even a few lbs.

I am not more confident, but I do move better and fit in small spaces (like theaters, crowded grocery story aisles, and plane seats) better so I am more comfortable in public spaces. Also, if I drop something, I can pick it up without nearly fainting.

Lynda

I am only 30 days post-op, so I can't speak to the maintenance part yet. But, I had the surgery for 2 reasons.

1. I've been over weight my whole life (seriously, since grade school) and my weight is slowly creeping up and my quality of life (socially, career, and pain wise) was deteriorating to the point where all I was doing was going to work and going home.

2. My goal is to look normal. I don't ever expect to look like the px90 guy, but if I could be between 15 and 30 lbs over my ideal weight, I'd be satisfied.

The hardest part was making the decision to commit to the surgery. The rest has been easy compared to that.

I had surgery to get healthy...my goal is to be 170 pounds....and on my 5'2 frame...170 still has me as over weight...but its a heck of alot better than 339 pounds....

I dont think the surgery has boasted my confidence, I've always had high self-esteem...but I can tell you now it takes away my ability to binge eat...I was an emotional binge eater....it was nothing for me to hit burger king, jack in the box and taco bell in one evening because someone pissed me off....

I am still an emotional eater, but I am working on it with therapy...which I have my next session tomorrow...

The surgery doesnt clear up the mental issues of being overweight.....that's work you have to do BIG time afterwards....

. Thank you for sharing. Has the therapy helped much and how long have you been in therapy? I

My reasons are to help control comorbidities. I'm pre-diabetic and pre-hypertension on top of sleep apnea. Also help with my mobility because of MS and fibromyalgia. I'm not looking to be skinny. I want to be at a healthy weight. I don't have the goal of being in a size 4. I just don't want to be in a wheelchair.

. Has the surgery helped much?

Have you made an appointment to see a surgeon yet? I felt kinda of lost until I did. I was listening to sooooo many different stories and I felt lost and confused. First I checked with my insurance provider to make sure this was a covered benefit. Then I tuned OUT the noise, (everyone has different benefits under their employer) some put restrictions or diet provisions, BMI limits etc. others don't. Some people think because you have the same insurance you have the same benefits, this is NOT the case. Go to the source about your benefits, it will make this ride easier if you do. Then let others fill you in on the nuances. I am realistic about weight loss, first and foremost my desire is to be healthy being a toothpick for me is not healthy. I hope you things work out well for you regardless of the option you choose. Good Luck :D

My goal was health. Skinny was never ever my goal (or my want honestly) I like having some curves. I've always had a lot of confidence even at 380+ pounds so that was never my issue. My issue was I wasn't healthy and I realized that. I don't mind still being plus size even just not as plus as I was lol. I've already lost 74lbs and feel great even at my current weight which is no where near skinny. In another 50 or so pounds ill feel even better. I don't really have a number goal anymore. I started out wanting to see a 1 but even if I don't ill be okay with it. Curvy happy and healthy. That's my goal and I'm cool with it!

For those who have already had vertical sleeve surgery surgery, did you have the surgery to become a normal size or to be skinny, skinny seems to be a theme on some of the posts? I had the surgery to get back to being a normal size, I have never been skinny, nor do I want to be skinny.

What has been the hardest part of your surgery, aftercare and maintenance? Nothing so far, but this doesn't mean that wont change over the long haul.

Did this surgery boost your confidence? No, I've never had low self esteem, I'm outgoing and not afraid to speak up.

That's one of the reasons for the surgery, I didn't want my weight to negatively impact my life.

. Thank you for sharing. Has the therapy helped much and how long have you been in therapy? I

I started therapy before I had my surgery, on my surgeon's recommendation...I am a revision person, meaning that I've had WLS before and VSG was my second surgery, and he recommended that I go through therapy for extra support....and it has helped....I use my therapy time to really self-examine how I managed to lose and regain 120 pounds in the past....and I'm still a work in progress

I had it to be healthy. I was out of breath just reading a bed time story to my child. I am now on the skinny side of normal (bmi of 19.9) but have gained so much of my life back. No more diabetes, normal blood pressure, normal cholesterol, no more asthma or sleep apnoea. Being skinny is just a great bonus.

Have you made an appointment to see a surgeon yet? I felt kinda of lost until I did. I was listening to sooooo many different stories and I felt lost and confused. First I checked with my insurance provider to make sure this was a covered benefit. Then I tuned OUT the noise, (everyone has different benefits under their employer) some put restrictions or diet provisions, BMI limits etc. others don't. Some people think because you have the same insurance you have the same benefits, this is NOT the case. Go to the source about your benefits, it will make this ride easier if you do. Then let others fill you in on the nuances. I am realistic about weight loss, first and foremost my desire is to be healthy being a toothpick for me is not healthy. I hope you things work out well for you regardless of the option you choose. Good Luck :D

. Thanks. I did check my insurance coverage and it is a covered procedure. I'm still researching surgeons, I have some very good recommendations.

My goal was health. Skinny was never ever my goal (or my want honestly) I like having some curves. I've always had a lot of confidence even at 380+ pounds so that was never my issue. My issue was I wasn't healthy and I realized that. I don't mind still being plus size even just not as plus as I was lol. I've already lost 74lbs and feel great even at my current weight which is no where near skinny. In another 50 or so pounds ill feel even better. I don't really have a number goal anymore. I started out wanting to see a 1 but even if I don't ill be okay with it. Curvy happy and healthy. That's my goal and I'm cool with it!

. Thanks for your honesty. :) I don't think my curves are going anywhere.

For those who have already had vertical sleeve surgery surgery, did you have the surgery to become a normal size or to be skinny, skinny seems to be a theme on some of the posts? I had the surgery to get back to being a normal size, I have never been skinny, nor do I want to be skinny.

What has been the hardest part of your surgery, aftercare and maintenance? Nothing so far, but this doesn't mean that wont change over the long haul.

Did this surgery boost your confidence? No, I've never had low self esteem, I'm outgoing and not afraid to speak up.

That's one of the reasons for the surgery, I didn't want my weight to negatively impact my life.

. Nothing has been hard, wow why is that?