Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions about what to expect

I am going through the process towards having the gastric sleeve surgery and I have some questions and concerns. I understand that this process is supposed to be a life change and that's exactly what I want it to be, but I want to know how much life will change. I've read some things that tell me that I likely won't ever be able to have ice cream, which I love in moderation. I also enjoy drinking beer and wine and I wonder if I would be able to enjoy either of those anymore since the beer is full of carbs and the sugar in the wine....I know it's stupid to have hesitation about my surgery due to these things, but I'd really like to know why my future holds in the "do's and dont's" department.

Everyone is different, but most people who've posted say you will be able to enjoy almost any food or drink eventually.

I've eaten ice cream post surgery with no problems. And many people have reported being able to enjoy beer, wine, and alcohol as well - just in smaller amounts. As I said, everyone is different and you will just have to test your new stomach to see what it will tolerate.

As an example - at 30 days, I can eat regular yogurt, but my stomach hates greek yogurt. I can eat grilled chicken breast that has been run through a food processor, but my stomach doesn't like canned chicken breast.

And as I get farther out, I am sure my stomach will tolerate "heavier" foods, it just takes time to adjust.

What joatsaint said, eventually you should be able to eat or drink anything you want...just in smaller amounts.

Yeah - unless you develop lactose intolerance, most foods won't be an issue. And even the lactose intolerance improves for many around a year post op. Until my pregnancy I was able to tolerate everything except ice cream. For me, that was no big deal. I'm not a huge fan, anyway, and opt for sorbets or ice cream made with coconut milk instead if I want to indulge.

You never really know if you'll be one that does develop it, but in my case, it was already showing itself prior to surgery. It wasn't a huge surprise when it was an issue, after.

As for beer, that's a funny one. I also enjoy beer but found that in the beginning (first year post op) it was difficult to drink a lot. Not that I needed much...but I didn't really drink beer to get drunk, if you understand what I'm saying. I wanted to sit and enjoy a beer or two but for me, at least, drinking beer post op was a little like drinking a meal. I'm sure the fact that I tend towards wheat or dark beers didn't help.

That said, I can drink a beer now, and I'm sure I could have two if I wanted but I never choose to do so.

The only advice I have when it comes to incorporating these foods is that you need to be making sure you have the room in your diet for them. Count them into your calorie/carb counts and know going in that it's not the ideal choice. But there is nothing wrong with consuming these foods in moderation, if you're not experiencing a problem with them. Also be mindful of triggers. If you can't eat a single, small portion of ice cream or drink a pint of beer without feeling like you need a pint of ice cream or a liter of beer...well, you'll need to address that. The sleeve helps restrict quantity, but both of these food items are sliders and nothing will stop you from consuming too much of them.

And while we're not bypass patients, sometimes a sugar rush can cause dumping syndrome, so I'd go slow and steady with just a few bites or sips the first few times you incorporate these foods, or you might experience unpleasant side effects. Most especially if you plan to low-carb after surgery.

Good luck, and thank you for asking questions BEFORE surgery! Research is important, and many of us vets take the time to post specifically to help out the folks that are thinking about these questions prior to their operations.

~Cheri

Thank you everyone for your helpful and kind responses. I truly appreciate you taking the time to assist me. Sometimes I find that I have to keep reminding myself that it is just food and it shouldn't have such a control over my health, but I had a nutritional meeting yesterday and learned some new information and it was odd...I felt so apprehensive after it that I looked for additional resources to try and help clarify. Don't get me wrong, I know this needs to happen for my health and I look forward to that. I am by no means a major drinker either, but I would still love to be able to enjoy a cold beer in the hot summer...it's almost a social worry more than a food one I guess. It's good to know I should hopefully still be able to do "normal" things and it's great that the "in moderation" is key....thanks again, I feel much better....

Don't get me wrong, I know this needs to happen for my health and I look forward to that. I am by no means a major drinker either, but I would still love to be able to enjoy a cold beer in the hot summer...it's almost a social worry more than a food one I guess. It's good to know I should hopefully still be able to do "normal" things and it's great that the "in moderation" is key....thanks again, I feel much better....

I relate with this completely. The concerns about the social aspect of these post-op changes is very real (and normal I think). I think sometimes we focus more on the physical/medical questions, but I'm realizing it's equally important to address the psycho-social ones while we're still pre-op.

Oh, and like you said...I know this surgery needs to happen for me as well, and that it's 'only food'...but to some extent, I feel like food is and always will be a part of how we relate to others, and a part of our sense of wellbeing and 'normalcy' sometimes. Thanks for starting this thread to ask questions like these. I was having the same ones! :)