Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I am new here and I just got approved for surgery Feb 12, 2013! I wanted to introduce myself and am so appreciative to find this forum. about me:

I have been struggling with weight since about the age of 8. I remember going to weight watchers at the age of 12. After college, I gained 40lbs in one year. I have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) which doesn't help with the weight. I love to eat- I eat for all occasions- happy, sad, stress, etc.... BUT I am tired of food ruling my life! I have always lived to eat and I want to change that. I want to eat to live!

I gained more weight after two kids and have been quite miserable. I have done many different diets and lifestyle changes but it is typical...lose weight, gain it back plus some.

I looked into surgery a couple years ago but my insurance did not cover it.

In November, we switched insurance companies and they cover it! Here is my timeline of events:

11-10-12- Information session

11-12-12- Verify benefits

11-12-12- complete and return questionnaires to doctor

11-16-12- view on line EMMI presentation

11-29-12- Bariatric screening with nurse and dietitian

12-10-12- psychological evaluation

1-3-13- Consult with surgeon- Dr. Amir Heydari

1-21-13- Request for authorization for surgery sent

1-24-13- Approved! wow that was fast (though they did not call and tell me until 1-28-13)

1-24-13- 1st pre-op class

1-31-13- 2nd pre-op class

1-31-13- pre-op appointment with surgeon

2-2-13- Begin pre-op diet

2-12-13- Surgery scheduled!

I am so excited and nervous all at once. I have prayed for this and God has heard my cry. I know it will NOT be easy but I am so ready for this.

Hello Bonita19,

And welcome aboard! I'm so happy that you were able to switch insurance companies and have the opportunity for a new healthy life!

Good luck!

Laura

I had to wait for my enrollment to come up to so that i could change my insurance now i'm just waiting for surgery date. we will do just fine.. good luck

Good for you, it will all be good! Its hard work, but so worth it in the end.

I am so excited and nervous all at once. I know it will NOT be easy but I am so ready for this.

bonita19

welcome girlfirend

excited, nervous - emotions most have felt - been there, done that :)

glad you are aware that it won't all be "peaches and cream" all the time ;)

you are prepared to start your new lifestyle- congrats

you do need to "work" with your sleeve for the rest of your longer, heathier, happier life :)

the sleeve is there to help you lose the weight - but you must work with it too

anything worth having "is worth working for"?? something like that ;)

be ready for "some possible lows :(

but mainly HIGHS!!!!

follow all the many rules that the sleeve requires- drinking, proper portions - et al -

you'll do great :)

read the board - some of your questions might be answered - and by all means you ask ALL your questions too :)

we'll see "less and less" of you as time passes :( :)

good luck 2/12

speedy recovery

Thank you all for your warm welcome and wise words. Today is an emotional day- my last day before the 10 day pre-op diet. I am having my "last supper" at the Melting Pot- my favorite! I feel like I am losing my "best friend" of almost 40 years. That sounds so silly but I am sure you all understand what I mean! I am in mourning a little bit but so excited for my new life to come! for those of you who had the surgery already what were the first couple of weeks like. When were you able to drive? go out in public? etc...

Melting pot.. Sounds like fondue?? :) you are going to do well! Pre-op diets can be rough the first couple of days, but remember its only temporary. And worth it for a happier life!

You will be able to eat again, just remember that when you have a challenging moment!

Oh driving was a little hard the first couple of weeks because of the internal stitches healing ( it normal to feel pulling burning type pain on those)

Driving just made it worse.. But yes going out was fine!

My surgery is tomorrow! I can't believe it. Sounds strange but I am so excited. I feel so at peace and look forward to a new life! I have completed the 10 day pre-op diet which was Protein Shakes and fruits and veggies. I lost almost 10lbs on that so off to a good start!. My surgery is at 10:15am if there are any prayer warriors out there! I will keep you updated!

My surgery is tomorrow! I can't believe it. Sounds strange but I am so excited. I feel so at peace and look forward to a new life! I have completed the 10 day pre-op diet which was Protein shakes and fruits and veggies. I lost almost 10lbs on that so off to a good start!. My surgery is at 10:15am if there are any prayer warriors out there! I will keep you updated!

Good luck!! I'm tomorrow as well :)

Best Wishes for tomorrow. Keep us posted on your journey.

good luck bonita i'm right behind you...18th