Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does everyone vomit post-op?

Sorry, I know I post a lot. I'm a stay at home mom and you guys are like the only adult contact I get lol!

But does everyone vomit? Are there ways to prevent it? I have a serious phobia of it, and it is actually the only reason I've ever second guessed wanting this surgery.

I have not thrown up once since surgery.. I don't know if I'm lucky or as I suspect I don't push the boundaries when I eat. And when trying something new start with very little.

nope... no vomiting here... almost 2 months out...

encouraging...thanks, Dee and laura

Nope. Only once when I just...kept... eating....

I am about 3 1/2 weeks out and I haven't thrown up yet. I try to be careful when I eat. If I'm trying something new, I will take one or two bites and wait 15 minutes to see how I feel. I have a phobia about throwing up too so I don't want to push it!

Thanks everyone!!

I am one week out. I did vomit once in the hospital but that was a side effect of the one and only time I accepted the IV pain medicine. Since I discovered that even when given with an antinausea medication I reacted this way I elected for different non narcotic methods of pain relief. Otherwise I have had no issues with vomiting. Ask your doctor to discharge you with Zofran ODT- it is an orally disintegrating antinausea medicine. It works wonders. If you do not have insurance it is a tad pricy and there are cheaper alternatives. Best of luck to you!

I am one week out. I did vomit once in the hospital but that was a side effect of the one and only time I accepted the IV pain medicine. Since I discovered that even when given with an antinausea medication I reacted this way I elected for different non narcotic methods of pain relief. Otherwise I have had no issues with vomiting. Ask your doctor to discharge you with Zofran ODT- it is an orally disintegrating antinausea medicine. It works wonders. If you do not have insurance it is a tad pricy and there are cheaper alternatives. Best of luck to you!

Thanks! I had zofran when I was pregnant with morning sickness, and I know morphine makes me sick. I'm hoping they can use something other then morphine! I'd rather feel pain then nausea lol

Not to scare you but I had dry heaving when I work up from surgery (it can be one of the side effects of the anesthesia) and I threw up once after that ( whatever I ate didn't agree with me). But the Zofran and Phenergan can help with nausea.

Not to scare you but I had dry heaving when I work up from surgery (it can be one of the side effects of the anesthesia) and I threw up once after that ( whatever I ate didn't agree with me). But the Zofran and Phenergan can help with nausea.

Thanks for the honesty. I've had 2 csections and vomited after each because of the morphine. So I'm almost expecting to get sick after surgery. I hope I don't bust a staple or something. That makes me nervous too.

Sorry' date=' I know I post a lot. I'm a stay at home mom and you guys are like the only adult contact I get lol!

But does everyone vomit? Are there ways to prevent it? I have a serious phobia of it, and it is actually the only reason I've ever second guessed wanting this surgery.[/quote']

Jess just interested still in the pre op approval phase...do you want more kids? What was your deciding factor on sleeve vs band....leaning toward the sleeve but the safety flag in me saying take the band...

Certain foods have made me sick, but I avoid them for a few days and try again. Can only eat about 1-2 ounces at a time.

Thanks for the honesty. I've had 2 csections and vomited after each because of the morphine. So I'm almost expecting to get sick after surgery. I hope I don't bust a staple or something. That makes me nervous too.

You won't bust a staple or anything...you will just feel like you did. You will do well with surgery...its hard at first but slowly it gets better!