Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Months Post Op - Feel Stomach Pains, gallbladder?

Hi Guys, I'm 29yo, I've had my sleeve on August 20th. I was 302 pounds when i got sleeved.

I am now 207 pounds. Everything with my surgery went smoothly. I am from Philly and got my surgery done in Philly at Pennsylvania hospital. My surgeon was Dr. David Wernsing.

Over the last month I lost 22 pounds. Since Friday i started feeling pains in the middle right part of my body, below my ribcage. I believe it's my gallbladder. When my body is not moving it's like a dull pain. On a scale from 1-10 it's like 2-3. But when I move around or walk up/down stairs, or try to sleep (im a side sleeper) or drive a vehicle, the pain goes from a 2 to like a 8, to a very sharp pain. It feels like it's been getting worse over the past few days.

I searched this forum and it seems like I may possibly have gallstones, and may need my gallbladder removed. I am now paranoid that this is the case.

I have an appointment today with my doctor to find out what is really the problem and I guess I will have to get an ultrasound or catscan of the affected area..

Has anybody else have this problem, or have had something like this? Is this really my gallbladder that is is in pain? If so, how did this happen, is it because of me losing weight too fast or what causes this?

I have been taking Nexium since my surgery, I thought that was supposed to prevent something like this, but I guess not, :(

This is actually very common in people who have had weight loss surgery. I am just going back to work today after having been off for a week because I had my gall bladder out. Instead of constant pain, I would have gall bladder attacks where the pain was so intense that it would lead to a hospital trip. I had about 4 major attacks and after the last one, they did a ct scan to find out that my gall bladder was full of stones.

My understanding of what happens is that when you are losing weight so rapidly, you are making your gall bladder work harder, which can cause stones. My husband is a nurse and he warned me to be prepared for my gall bladder to go and explained to me in detail why it happens, but I forget all of the details. Taking a PPI, like Nexium, doesn't do anything to stop something like this from happening, rather it stops you from getting ulcers in your newly healing tummy.

I was more than willing for them to take it out and, besides having a sore tummy for the last week, have not had any problems. I hope that the doctor is able to help you!

My surgeon actually took my gallbladder out along with my sleeve surgery because having this type of surgery has a higher risk of getting stones. I opted for the removal now instead of waiting for stones and possible surgery later.

Good luck with your appt.

First, Congratulations on such great sleeve success!!

I had gallstones prior to my sleeve surgery, but mine were not a constant issue. I would have flareups where the pain was just about unbearable, typically at night. the pain started under my right ribcage and radiated up and back to my shoulder. Gallstones can occur in anyone really, but a big weight loss in a short period of time definitely can bring them on.

Nexium won't help gallstones at all. You were most likely given that for stomach acid.

On the positive side, the surgery to remove your gallbladder is very similar to the sleeve as far as recovery goes. My surgeon used the same incision sites. I was in the hospital overnight, released on a Wednesday and back to my office job on Monday. You're already on a low fat diet, so that won't be an issue.

Good luck, I hope it is nothing too serious.

Hi Guys' date=' I'm 29yo, I've had my sleeve on August 20th. I was 302 pounds when i got sleeved.

I am now 207 pounds. Everything with my surgery went smoothly. I am from Philly and got my surgery done in Philly at Pennsylvania hospital. My surgeon was Dr. David Wernsing.

Over the last month I lost 22 pounds. Since Friday i started feeling pains in the middle right part of my body, below my ribcage. I believe it's my gallbladder. When my body is not moving it's like a dull pain. On a scale from 1-10 it's like 2-3. But when I move around or walk up/down stairs, or try to sleep (im a side sleeper) or drive a vehicle, the pain goes from a 2 to like a 8, to a very sharp pain. It feels like it's been getting worse over the past few days.

I searched this forum and it seems like I may possibly have gallstones, and may need my gallbladder removed. I am now paranoid that this is the case.

I have an appointment today with my doctor to find out what is really the problem and I guess I will have to get an ultrasound or catscan of the affected area..

Has anybody else have this problem, or have had something like this? Is this really my gallbladder that is is in pain? If so, how did this happen, is it because of me losing weight too fast or what causes this?

I have been taking Nexium since my surgery, I thought that was supposed to prevent something like this, but I guess not, :([/quote']

Mostlikely gullbladder good luck. Rapid weight loss dies that to alot of people ur not alone

hi everyone, thanks for all the responses so far, and i believe you are all right its probably gallstones. ill let everyone know what it is once i get it checked out at the hospital.

im surprised if so many patients have issues with their gallbladder than how come they don't make most patients get the gallbladder removed prior to getting sleeved? that doesnt make any sense to me. also if the gallbladder usually has problems for people who are sleeved, why dont they give medicine to prevent gallstones? i dont get it. or does this only happen in a minority of people? im confused.

I'm not sleeved yet but a few years back I was on a diet where I was in ketosis which is similar to this, and as soon as I reached my goal weight, and went on 'maintenaince' (so from about 700 calories a day to 1250), I started having the exact same pain and when it got unbearable I found that I had multiple stones as well as a large one which was blocking my bile duct.

I was told at that time, that it wasn't the rapid weight loss but the almost total lack of fat in my diet which changed to a small amount of fat once on maintenaince. This required the gallbladder to work much harder than it had been while I was on the diet. The gallbladder couldn't handle the fat and the stones developed. The surgery to remove the gallbladder was such a relief, the pain from recovery was nothing compared to how I felt once the bile duct was blocked.

I was very annoyed that this had never been told to me prior to starting on the diet, and the other thing that was inevitable was that even eating well on maintenaince, I gained all the weight back and then 10 more within six months. It was so disheartening! That's one reason I'm looking to do the sleeve. I'm committed to changing my diet for life, but I want my body to work with me!! (Hope that makes sense)

I would definitely say, sorry, but the gallbladder has to go and you'll feel much better once its out.