Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just had my Nutritional Seminar...

So I just had my nutritional seminar, and I have a long check list of goals I have to accomplish the next 2 months. Apparently my bariatric program requires 2 meetings with the NUT. so I have no clue when things will be submitted to my insurance. Im sticking it out though...have to follow a new nutritional plan and its tough right now! Its that time of the month and I almost drove to Taco Bell last night...its so hard to resist cravings!! I just want to shut my stomach off! I am hoping that after my first 1:1 with the NUT. I can get an appointment scheduled with the surgeon, because this waiting game is going to kill me! I am also having a hard time slowing down when I eat...partially because I forget, and partially because when I am eating softer foods, it doesnt take much to chew them, and I eat at my normal pace. Im thinking the only thing that will remind me to eat slower is to write a note on my hand...but that just seems silly!

Some people say to try using small plates and kids utensils to help out with eating less and slowing down. For me the hardest part is not drinking while eating.

It really helps not to have a drink around. I'be been practicing the last three months and it's more habit than anything.

It's only silly if it doesn't work. I had a hard time slowing my pace when eating, I am a paramedic and we frequently don't get to finish a meal when we start so we mostly eat very fast, It still takes all my effort to eat slow especially while at work, The main thing I find helps is to put the silverware down after every bite it gives me something to focus on remembering to put it down. Good Luck.

yes it is very hard for me not to drink while eating!! I will try the baby utensils, that is a good idea! Thanks for the help guys :)

I'm a veryyyyy fast eater! I am a stay at home mom of two very active kids. I'm lucky if I can scarf down something in 5 min. What I'm trying to do is use my sons baby utensils so I take smaller bites, and I put my fork down after every single bite. I try to sing the happy birthday song before taking another bite lol! But my biggest challenge is not drinking while I eat. I've yet to get out of that habit

I like that idea JessicaAnn!! I will try it out tonight :)

5 lbs down today, I am actually not as hungry as I usually am, I think because I have been forcing myself to eat the 3 small meals a day and 2-3 snacks...I made up a menu for the week that is on my fridge, which has also helped. The only thing I am really battling at the moment are the cravings. I STILL want Taco Bell sooo bad! Today I sorta didn't eat a lot so I might go later tonight and get one of their lower cal tacos...the fresca ones...its so hard to resist though. Should I give in and get just one, or just try to ride the craving out?!

I would try and ride it out, I bet each time it will get easier and easier. And you will eventually feel like to have conquered the craving demon.

I am at good dishing out this s*** If only I could take my own advice. I am just starting out on the journey myself, so I have a lot of self discipline to work on.

Good Luck

Debbie

Thanks Debbie!!

I ended up caving in last night and I got 2 chicken fresca soft tacos....the calories shouldn't be too bad as they use low fat cheese, white meat chicken and fresh lettuce and salsa. I didn't get any extras...It was very satisfying, but I did feel defeated. I think next time I will just make it at home. Right now I work 4pm-12am 3 days a week and I get really hungry around 11pm. I cant just go home and go to bed, so I end up staying up late, which is when I am usually really hungry. I think this weekend I will go and pick up some Jenny O taco seasoned turkey breast so I can make tacos at home...

Ive also come to the conclusion that this month I think what will work for me best is to focus on one goal a week. This week Ive been trying to stick very closely to the meal plan. The only thing extra I had were the tortillas that the tacos were made with, and Ive been trying my best to keep up with the food journal.

Next week I am going to concentrate on eating slower. I have slowed down from previously, but still not enough as I should. I am going to go out and by child size utensils this weekend. I have been trying to not drink while eating, and I wont get a beverage unless I really need to...like if something is dry or I get the hiccups.

Tacos aside, I have lost a few lbs since starting!

So over the course of the month that I have been following the nutritional program, I've lost 11 lbs (and that is with a few cheats here and there, hubby took me out for a super fancy valentines day dinner)!! I have been finding that my husband and I are eating out a lot less, and I haven't even missed eating out that much... I am really happy about this, and my boss even made a comment that it looks like I have lost a few lbs. I am just really nervous about the next couple months as I am not sure how many times I will need to meet with the NUT. I cannot go below 210 or else I will not qualify for the surgery. The bariatric NP that I have been talking to said that once I have my 1:1 with the NUT things will progress faster as I can't lose a lot of weight...and tomorrow is the day!! So excited :D Things are finally starting to feel a bit more real for me!

One thing I still struggle with is eating slow. I have definitly been able to eat slower, but not as slow as they would like me to be...I can never take 30-60 min to eat a meal unless we are at a resteraunt.