Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second thought! Please help!

Hi all! I'm 27 years old, 250lbs and 5'2 with a bmi of 46. I have PCOS and my surgery date is 2-18-13. I'm worried that maybe I should go for the bypass instead. I really would prefer the sleeve because of malabsorption issues and the whole re-routing thing scares me. I'm afraid the sleeve isn't restrictive enough and that I'm not going to lose the weight. I am a serious carb addict and PCOS makes everything so much harder. I am working on my eAting issues but truthfully, I'm afraid the sleeve will allow me to cheat too easily. I need honesty! HELP!

Hi sstark,

I am 26, 5'1" and also have PCOS. I too am a carb addict. I had the sleeve almost 3 months ago and have dropped 43lbs so far from my starting weight of 285lbs.

I can honestly tell you that if I ever try to overindulge, the sleeve certainly lets me know.. it is restrictive in the sense that we can eat anything but just a little of it.

I cannot speak about the bypass but so far the sleeve seems to be working very well for me and I believe that it can do the same for you as well.

Whichever surgery you decide to go with, I wish you the very best and a quick and painless recovery :)

For most foods, I feel restriction. There are some slider foods that let me eat large amounts like chips and popcorn. I try to avoid them, but I love popcorn. ;)

Linda

I would do some research on patients that have had bypass and later had to go to the sleeve to loose the weight. It is called sleeve over bypass surgery.

Ultimately, you determine the outcome of any WLS. Sleeve, RNY, band, it all comes down to what you make of it. Even resorting to these measures, it will all depend on you. If you are able to follow the restrictions that will come with this choice, make good decisions, and follow through with what will be a lifetime change, then this will work for you. While we mostly get success stories here, there are enough posts where people are either self sabotaging, not following plan, or letting things go and are honest and helpful enough to let us see that this is not an easy fix. The issues that we carry in to surgery do not disappear the moment we come out of anesthesia. Once you can get back to eating "normally", that's when the real test starts. You still have to choose what you'll do. But if you choose to do things the right way, then yes, this will work. It may not always be easy, it may not always be fast, and there will be lots of frustration, but it will work.

i had the sleeve, my aunt had bypass. i have lost just as much as she did, but in a shorter amount of time. she has that 'sickly' look that comes with bypass weightloss, i just look like a normal person. if i do go ape crap crazy for a day and eat everything in site, i pick myself up, dust myself off, and start over, if she goes ape crap crazy, she gets dumping syndrome for about an hour or more where, in her words, she feels that if she could feel just a little bit better she could go ahead and die. she has a whole regimen of Vitamins and supplements that she has to take to avoid malnutrition/malabsorbtion issues, i take a Multivitamin, a B12, and a mega Vitamin D (the d is only once a week). and, she has told me several times that she wishes that she would have gotten the surgery that i got.

hope that helps you

good luck

Thank you THANK YOU for reassuring me. Overall, I just want to be healthy and see the effects of this curse known as PCOS Go away. I was so sold on the sleeve... But cold feet got me wondering. I am still sticking with the sleeve!

I would do some research on patients that have had bypass and later had to go to the sleeve to loose the weight. It is called sleeve over bypass surgery.

How is that possible? They reconnect the stomach then sleeve it? Cooool. I'm going to look that up.

I'm pretty sure you can have the sleeve first and then have bypass after, but not the other way around. The sleeve started out as the first step for patients that had a lot of weight to lose that were considered high risk for the bypass. They found patients lost a lot of weight with just the sleeve alone and started doing it as a stand alone procedure.