Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you know when you're full?

How can you tell when you're full? Before surgery I knew when I was stuffed and now I can't tell whatsoever.

It is funny you say this. I can't tell either. I am one week two days out fyi.

Lots of little signs... You'll get better at recognizing them. When I get full I feel a little heavy and burpy and I get the hiccups. If you over eat you'll feel tight in the chest and if you wayyy overdo it you'll feel pain in the lower part of your esophagus. Just try to eat portions you know are comfortable and don't push it! No need to eat a ton if you don't have to!

I always have indigetion when eating hmmmm

I am the same way. I can't tell if I'm full until I take one bite too many - NOT FUN!. So I usually eat 1/2 tsp at a time and wait a few seconds between bites. I also have some 4oz Glad containers I bought at Wal-Mart and I eat out of them. I know that at this stage 4oz is about all I can hold.

I eat super slow. I also get the hiccups. In the begining I could not tell as well I am 9 weeks out so getting a little easier. I eat with small forks and spoons (smaller then baby spoons lol) it helps me take my time. If I eat over it is extremely uncomfortable.

I spent 50 minutes nursing a sugar free pudding cup waiting to suddenly "feel full"!

I don't have pain if I eat too much it just wants to keep trying to come back up my esophagus. Then I spend the next hour or more trying to keep it down. Really annoying. I'm still on full liquids and have been trying to actually eat something 3 times a day like cream of wheat or a Soup, but really I feel better when I don't. It's like alcohol though. No real signs while I'm eating then about 10 mins after a meal WHAM it hits me. Too late by that time.

I wondered about this same thing. I am 12 days out. I thought for sure I would feel that 'fullness' everyone speaks about. I had people telling me that I would know and how they are so full. I have yet to experience that. Initially I could feel the food go down. So I started taking smaller sips as I am still on a liquid diet. Then I noticed differences in how it felt when certain things went down. G2 Gatorade goes down easier than anything. Protein Shakes mixed with Water go down easier than Protein shakes mixed with soy milk. I don't feel hunger pains and I don't feel a sense of fullness. I have been concerned because I don't want to ingest too much. But it sounds like if it doesn't come back up, I haven't taken in too much.

I'm at 6wks post and have been working of when do i feel full this last month. There are keys to noticing your body telling you when you've eaten enough, when you've over eaten (pain and over full feeling) and when to stop. My surgeon suggested that the question after every few bites should be "Have I eaten enough?" not "Did I over eat?"

it has taken me time to know what that meant. I find that when I'm eating too fast, I feel the need to breathe deeply. At this point I have to put the fork/spoon down and stop. Ask myself the question, and if I pick up the utensil to eat and find myself breathing deeply, I'm full...ALMOST to the point of over eating. I'm finding it easier to stop sooner each meal, but really struggle when i'm feeling super hungry.

With liquid i found it to be like overfilling the glass if poured too fast...drink too fast, feel the pain going down in a "lump" or feeling the physical liquid "sitting" at the top of my throat - all signs of being OVER full... everyone is different GOOD LUCK LADIES!

At a little over 3 months, for me there is no fullness or emptiness, for that matter! When I over-eat, the nonstop burping starts and then the food wants to come up. Sometimes you can fight the urge, depending on what you ate and how much you over-ate, sometimes you can't! It happens when I forget about my sleeve then take a bite of something carelessly (watching tv, or just distracted) then I'm like, 'Why did I just eat that?' burp...burp! That's why I sometimes just have a safe food for dinner like a yogurt or cottage cheese. I can't take the discomfort when I eat a normal meal sometimes.

Haha I'm a week out and i don't know if I'm full or hungry. I just can't tell! Lol