Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question about period starting post-op while still in the hospital.

Warning, there may be TMI ahead in this post. I assume since this is the lady's forum, it's okay just to be open.

My body has the absolute worst timing. Here's the story. Growing up, my period was incredibly irregular. Like, from when I first started, I'd have a period once a year, but it would be a monstrous two-week long flooding ordeal. Now, that period also could be triggered by stress, and without fail, if I took a trip or something, there it would be, messing up all my clothes and the sheets and generally ruining my life. I evened out a bit as I got older, but it was still pretty rough, and not anywhere near regular. I lost about 120 pounds a few years ago, and during that time my period became regular and much, much lighter. Like... it actually became predictable and manageable! I was never excited to see it, but I knew I'd get through it, and in a couple of days, it would be gone. I have regained every pound of that weight I lost, maybe even more, but my period has stayed regular for some reason...until this month. Now I'm two weeks late, and I'm having my VSG in two more weeks. I read in my pre-op material, that the stress of surgery can bring on your period, and to pack accordingly. I'm curious, did anyone, regular menstruaters or not, actually experience your period starting right after surgery?

I know you may mention or ask me a few things, so let me toss out a few more pieces of info to help. No, there's no chance I'm pregnant (unless it's immaculate). Yes, I'm sure I have PCOS, I have every single classic sign. I am, in fact also having a very large para-ovarian cyst removed at the same time as my VSG. It has been with me for years, so I don't think it's impacting this particular missed period. I have had some signs of an impending period, but it's like it just won't start. I got achy, some slight pain, I've been moody, tearful, alternating between sleepless and sleepy. It's like I've been morphing in and out of a fog of almost-PMS for a couple of weeks, but my body just can't quite get it started. It may be that I've just reached that point again in my weight, where my period was going to disappear and become crazy again.

I know that was a lot of information. I also just seriously needed to vent because this is frustrating me. I hate walking around every day not knowing when it may strike. I'm suddenly appreciating a regular period for the gift that it was. Main question is this: Did any of you start your period in the hospital, and if you did, was it during your normal cycle, or brought on by surgery?

I just had surgery on Thursday and my period started 2 days later. I have a Mirena IUD and my period has been somewhere between non-existent and irregular for the past couple of years.

This question gets asked just about every week. It really isn't an issue. I started, heavily, a little more than an hour before surgery. LOTS of women members here started at some point around surgery.

Having your period start after surgery is pretty normal....I was lucky mine didnt start until day 5 when I was finally at home (I spent 2 days in the hosptial and 2 days with my aunt)

I started the morning I went in and it was heavy. I've had period issues for a LONG time. I'm done with kids so I ended up having an ablation several months ago. BEST THING EVER. I had a little spotting for a few months after (panty liner stuff) and haven't had anything in a few months now. Woot! Hubby is fixed too so we knew we were done with the kid thing.

I started the morning I went in and it was heavy. I've had period issues for a LONG time. I'm done with kids so I ended up having an ablation several months ago. BEST THING EVER. I had a little spotting for a few months after (panty liner stuff) and haven't had anything in a few months now. Woot! Hubby is fixed too so we knew we were done with the kid thing.

And the other side to this coin...I had the ablation and it was the WORST thing ever. I was regular before. You could set time zones by it. Lol. The dr found a small fibroid and thought we should definitely get it out and perform an ablation. There were no problems with the fibroid, but he said most times, they get larger and can cause problems in about 15-20 years. So, he performs the ablation.

I have NEVER had monthly cycles that were this heavy. EVER. I had to be put on Iron supplementation because of the loss of blood. That was 11 months ago.

And this is not a rare, isolated incident. After several of us patients began talking, and exchanging information, 16 total, only 1 has seen any relief. These are with different doctors, not just 1. We continue to stay in touch to share information.

So maybe in a few years, the numbers and percentages will be more accurate on the success rate with this surgery. I can say that as of now, my dr's posted numbers on the success rate, has changed to reflect a more realistic number.

I was actually on my period when I had my surgery and weeks after I was really worried but the surgeon said two opposite compartments lol nothing to worry about

I'm another who has had the ablation and it's been a life changer for me. I've always been regular, and I still am now, but instead of having to use a tampon the size of a pool noodle along with an overnight napkin, now I use only panty liners. It was amazing, practically painless, and well worth having it done.

My period was also late before my surgery. About 2 weeks late. Mine started the day after surgery. I had elbow surgery in 1999 and started my period the morning of surgery also.

I think there is a good chance you may start right before or after surgery. It's not fun, but it's common.

Good luck on your surgery, keep us posted!

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm curious now, if you go in to the hospital on your period, what do they do during surgery? I won't have any clothes on and I can't deal with tampons (I'd assume you can't wear a tampon during surgery anyway). I can't stand the thought of just laying there, bleeding with nothing to contain it. I'll be honest, I will be SO upset if I start right before or after surgery. It's enough to contend with by itself. I can't imagine being in pain, or having a catheter, and having to also battle with that mess. I wish there was some way just to kick start my period right now. I would feel so much more at ease.

They give you a pad and a pair of mesh panties. It's not a big deal. I woke up with a chux pad under me too. They've seen it all and... frankly, I didn't care once I was on drugs. LOL

I was 2 weeks late and started mine the day before surgery, I'm on iud so it was really light so i didn't mind them just putting a pad thing under me (like puppy pads) then i had my period fur about 2 weeks after which is odd for me its typically like 3 days

Remember the hormones in your bodies are all out of wack sometimes when you are overweight. Also it is important to not get pregnant for at least 18 months post op. I am a labor and delivery RN and it is not good to have a baby right away . You can I work with a girl who had bypass and is on her 2nd child after losing 150 lbs. she now has a 20 year old 2and the one due next month! Same husband too had first at 18.

Mine started the day after I got home in December. It was light though. I have PCOS as well, and I went 9 months without having it.

This month it returned around the same date as when I had it in december. It was much heavier and I dreaded the first two days of it because those were the worst. I'm hoping with time they'll get lighter. (I actually miss not getting my period, but part of the reason I had this surgery was to finally do something for my PCOS)

I have the Mirena IUD and haven't had a regular period in like 9 years....until 4 days into preop! It's been heavy too! Been goin on now for 10 days :(