Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you tell your kids about LapBand?

Soooo.....Tonight I put my kids to bed and thought they were asleep but I was sitting with hubby on the couch and realizing today is six weeks until my surgery I proclaimed "Just six weeks until they cut my stomach open and life is forever changed!!" Just being silly and giddy ya know??? My husband said something to the effect of, "that's great sweetie," but his eyes never left the TV.

WELL So about 20 minutes later I hear my 6-year-old crying in her room and so I go in and ask her what was wrong.

"I don't want someone to cut my mommy open!" OH BOY did I feel GUILTY!!!!

I did my best to comfort her and tell her I was just having a doctor check my tummy. I don't want to explain the whole weight loss thing to her cause A- she has a bad habit of going to school and telling EVERYTHING to EVERYONE and B- I've tried very hard not to talk about my weight struggles in front of my kids so HOPEFULLY they won't have the same hang ups about food and weight that I have.

Anyway she went back to sleep but I feel like she wasn't satisfied with my answer....and really neither am I.

So should I say something more? How do I explain it to her and my 4 year old daughter at the time of surgery/recovery etc

What did you all tell your kids?

My kids are 33,34,36, and 38. They didn't want their mommy to get cut open either. But they are okay with it now. Not too long ago my youngest son was here and he was talking to my husband when I walked in the room. He stopped and said, "Mom, you are so thin!" I told him that he was officially my favorite and the others were all out of the will...LOL.

Honesty is the best answer. Show them what the lapband is, explain how it works and tell them why you want it done. When you start losing weight, they will understand a little more.

Little kids are very easily offended when the most important person in their life isn't honest with them. I know, I'm guilty of getting caught not being totally honest with my kids before. But, you know your kids, I don't. So, go with what you feel is best. And, good luck.

Soooo.....Tonight I put my kids to bed and thought they were asleep but I was sitting with hubby on the couch and realizing today is six weeks until my surgery I proclaimed "Just six weeks until they cut my stomach open and life is forever changed!!" Just being silly and giddy ya know??? My husband said something to the effect of, "that's great sweetie," but his eyes never left the TV.

WELL So about 20 minutes later I hear my 6-year-old crying in her room and so I go in and ask her what was wrong.

"I don't want someone to cut my mommy open!" OH BOY did I feel GUILTY!!!!

I did my best to comfort her and tell her I was just having a doctor check my tummy. I don't want to explain the whole weight loss thing to her cause A- she has a bad habit of going to school and telling EVERYTHING to EVERYONE and B- I've tried very hard not to talk about my weight struggles in front of my kids so HOPEFULLY they won't have the same hang ups about food and weight that I have.

Anyway she went back to sleep but I feel like she wasn't satisfied with my answer....and really neither am I.

So should I say something more? How do I explain it to her and my 4 year old daughter at the time of surgery/recovery etc

What did you all tell your kids?

Honesty is the best way, my son was 4 when i had my lap band put in, i told him the truth from the start explained the best way i could, in terms that was understandable to him, hes now 6 and understands more about my lap band than some adults do, that know im banded. He now accepts my band is part of me, and its there to give me a better life, he also understands that im not the only person to have a lap band, and others do have the same op. I allow him 2 help prepare my food and he takes a real interest in what im eating. He will ask " Mummy is that ok for your band or will it make you sick " ? Letting him take part and become involved in how my band works has made him understand what its about and hes not fearfull of it at all, hes been to hospital with me on a few appointments, met some of the people that have helped me through my band journey, and he accepts now that the band is part of mummy, any thing he asks about the band i answer truth fully to him in a child freindly way that he can understand. That is my experience with my child anyway, and ive found honesty is the best way, and your child will love you more for that, and he will also feel more secure. GOOD LUCK MYPOV XXXXXXXXXX

Thank you so much for everyones advice...its MUCH appreciated. I guess I will have a sit down talk with my girls and explain it to them more. I still worry about my daughter's little blabbering problem:paranoid but maybe I could TRY to explain that its something that is just for me to tell people about, not her???? Don't know if that will work....I also really worry because its so hard for girls to grow up with a healthy body image. My 6 year old is like a rail but my 4 year old, though on target according to the charts still has some baby chub. My 6 year old has already called her fat on occasion. :angry I try to tell them that they are both beautiful no matter WHAT!!! Its soooo hard to be a mother to girls in this society and raise them to have a healthy self-esteem... YA know???

my 2 little guys ahve no idea but my 18 year knows he thinks its great my younger 2 just think I am on a really good diet and tell me how good I look. It really depends on how you feel your kids will react. I decided not to go into it until they were older and I could tell them what I did for our family..

good luck with it..

I told my 9 year old daugher, who was 7 at the time. She saw the pamphlets and I explained how it worked. She is amazed when she hugs me now, that she can get her arms all the way around me. She has been my biggest fan!

I took my 8 yr old grandaughter to an info seminar where they passed an actual lap band gadget around for all to see and feel. I was paying attention to the surgeon when I happened to look away for a moment to find my g-daughter wrapping the thing around her head and looking out of the circular part that goes on the stoma. I explained it all to her beforehand. She is actually sort of fascinated with it. She just didn't like the thought of me "shrinking" because she likes a "soft Nana".

My daughter has a blabbering problem too. I didn't tell my kids because I knew it would get back to my ex-husband before I even got into post-op. I didn't tell anyone at work either. If you are telling the world, then tell your kids. If you are keeping it close, don't tell. My kids accept that Mommy is "on a diet", it works for me, especially since I've barely lost anything in the past year.