Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie: Trying to decide

I have been doing my research, and I am trying to figure out which weightloss surgery actuall "suits" me. I have gone to my first consult with my surgeon, and he suggested the band, but after researching this, the band does not seem to be a long-term method. I have made up my mind to conquer this obesity (which I have struggled with since childhood) with wls, and the sleeve seems like the better option. I am aware of the risks of both. My surgeon lives two hours away, and I am concerned about missing work and going to get filled or unfilled. I am 5'6" and 230 pounds and suffer from hypertension. I have tried every diet known to man. Yes, I lose, but it comes back every time! The sleeve seems to be the best route for me. Please share any tjoughts on my situation.

I had considered the band but went with the sleeve because there are lots of issues with the band I also took into account the length of time before you get your first fill which for me would have been about 6-8 weeks after surgery to allow the stomach to heal. Then you will have to continue to do follow up ever few weeks to have band adjustments here that would cost $200 each time some are cheaper some are more

I am very happy with my sleeve I am now 6 months out I reach my goal weight at 4 months and now down a total of 120 pounds I had lost 110 pounds at 4 months and have not been really trying to lose anymore but happy to lose a few more pounds

I have been doing my research' date=' and I am trying to figure out which weightloss surgery actuall "suits" me. I have gone to my first consult with my surgeon, and he suggested the band, but after researching this, the band does not seem to be a long-term method. I have made up my mind to conquer this obesity (which I have struggled with since childhood) with wls, and the sleeve seems like the better option. I am aware of the risks of both. My surgeon lives two hours away, and I am concerned about missing work and going to get filled or unfilled. I am 5'6" and 230 pounds and suffer from hypertension. I have tried every diet known to man. Yes, I lose, but it comes back every time! The sleeve seems to be the best route for me. Please share any tjoughts on my situation.[/quote']

I would highly discourage the band! I had the lap bad a year ago and I lost weight but the side effects were terrible. I was constantly throwing up. Kaiser had to remove my Lapband. They found a hole in my stomach where the band was pulling at the hole. They said the band is now obsolete at Kaiser because of so many people needing to remove them. My surgeon said a foreign object in the body is not natural. I was just sleeved and its already working for me. I suggest the sleeve.

I had considered the band but went with the sleeve because there are lots of issues with the band I also took into account the length of time before you get your first fill which for me would have been about 6-8 weeks after surgery to allow the stomach to heal. Then you will have to continue to do follow up ever few weeks to have band adjustments here that would cost 200 each time some are cheaper some are more

I am very happy with my sleeve I am now 6 months out I reach my goal weight at 4 months and now down a total of 120 pounds I had lost 110 pounds at 4 months and have not been really trying to lose anymore but happy to lose a few more pounds

Oh wow James!!! I am a week and a half out and I am already worried that when I finally eat solids I will gain weight. Can you tell me what has worked for you? Do you drink one shake a day? Two? None? I think you may have lost quicker because you're a male but I am inspired!!!

Keep researching! Learn everything you can about the sleeve and life afterward and then make a choice.

That said, I started my journey after my doc suggested I get the band. The band would have been covered by my insurance but after several months of research and lurking on the bandtalk website, I felt it was not the right option for me. I started researching the sleeve. At first I was convinced it was too drastic a surgery, but after many months more of research I was comfortable with the idea of the surgery and had reasonable expectations (mostly) for life afterward.

I researched for one full year before surgery. And ultimately, I opted to self-pay so I could have the surgery I want, as my insurance doesn't cover VSG.

I'd never get a band, but because I haven't had one I cannot share what it's like or accurately compare my WLS procedure to that one. I'm biased - as is everyone else here, because we all chose the sleeve. :)

Good luck whatever you decide. Read everything you can here - there are many old threads that are still fantastic reads today.

~Cheri

I have been doing my research' date=' and I am trying to figure out which weightloss surgery actuall "suits" me. I have gone to my first consult with my surgeon, and he suggested the band, but after researching this, the band does not seem to be a long-term method. I have made up my mind to conquer this obesity (which I have struggled with since childhood) with wls, and the sleeve seems like the better option. I am aware of the risks of both. My surgeon lives two hours away, and I am concerned about missing work and going to get filled or unfilled. I am 5'6" and 230 pounds and suffer from hypertension. I have tried every diet known to man. Yes, I lose, but it comes back every time! The sleeve seems to be the best route for me. Please share any tjoughts on my situation.[/quote']

I had gone to a surgeon last may after wanting the band and he was the one who talked me out of it and into the sleeve.

For starters he had done more revisions then actual bands.

And for someone my size 5'4 250lbs he said the band is not meant for such high BMI the average weight loss was 50lbs and would not recommend for someone having more then 100lbs to lose.

I was nervous with the thought of having part of an organ removed, but it seems that there have been way more issues with having a foreign object inside of you.

It truly is a personal preference, but after reading so many stories about how many people have had revisions, I'm glad my doctor steered me in the other direction.

I was considering the by-pass until I talked to the surgeon. He explained in terms I could understand, all the differences of the surgeries. I went with the sleeve as the by-pass messes with the intestines and the failure rate of the lap-band (which I never even considered). He seems to think that the lap-band will eventually be done away with... and replaced by the sleeve, as he has done so many revisions from lap band to sleeve! I checked out a lot of gastric by-pass & sleeve videos on youtube also... I am entirely happy with my sleeve!!! Good luck with your decision.

I would also do some research regarding the recall of lap bands by the FDA in recent months. I just felt the complications from the band made it not an option for me and chose the band

Thanks to you all!! I know that ultimately it will be my decision, but it doesn't hurt to get feedback from others. I am continuing my research and hopefully, I will make the right decision. The more I read and watch, I notice so many complications from the band. I also read about so many people going from the band to the sleeve........ Thanks again guys! Off to more researching!