Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Real Stall at 5 Months

I'm 5 months post op and in the midst of my first real stall. I'm a slower loser to begin with, so it's making me nervous. I was sleeved August 6th in San Diego. I weighed 235 pre-op and I weigh 182 today. So, 53lbs gone. I'm thrilled but I'm trying to get to 145. I work out with a trainer, but I'm thinking I need to step up the cardio, fluids, and cut back on the carbs a bit (even though I don't eat many). Any other suggestions??

A real stall is three weeks or more at the same weight.

I'd say that you're actually not a slow loser, even though you might feel that way if you compare your loss to some of the very swift losses that have been posted lately.

Butterthebean has posted some really excellent articles and advice about stalls - you should search them out. They'll comfort you.

It's a normal part of the journey and one that's hard to deal with because when we restrict ourselves we really expect instant gratification on the scale, showing us that our diligence is paying off. It's unfortunate that it just doesn't work that way!

Hang in there. Don't fiddle overmuch with your diet or routine unless you're feeling like you want to be more active. It can't hurt your body but it might affect the scale. Just know that going in.

The best way to break most stalls that carry on for more than a month is to up your calories and carbs, believe it or not. A lot of people restrict far more than they really need to. The idea is to track your food so you know the upper limit of your intake - that point where what you're consuming stops your loss - it's often more calories and carbs than you thought you'd be able to consume.

Good luck. Hang in there, it's perfectly normal and you're lucky it took five months for your first one!

~Cheri

I'm at a little over 6 months and haven't lost an ounce. Apparently at 6 months that happens, and then at 9 months the losing happens again.

I'm at about 4 months and have been stalled for 4 weeks. Its really getting old. It doesn't seem like it matters what I do. Eat more, eat less, don't eat at all, drink more Water, etc.. I even did two days of eating very high calories to shock my system. No help there. I added in 3,000 mg of D3 daily to see if that had an impact, but that's not producing results.

I've lost around 61 lbs with 48 to go and its beginning to feel like I'm in maintenance and this is the best result I can expect. I am not super strict with what I eat, but I do pay attention to calories and I'm at around 800 a day. I was doing 500-600 a day before when I was losing.

Going to read Butterbean's collection again to see if that makes me feel any better.

I'm at about 4 months and have been stalled for 4 weeks. Its really getting old. It doesn't seem like it matters what I do. Eat more' date=' eat less, don't eat at all, drink more Water, etc.. I even did two days of eating very high calories to shock my system. No help there. I added in 3,000 mg of D3 daily to see if that had an impact, but that's not producing results.

I've lost around 61 lbs with 48 to go and its beginning to feel like I'm in maintenance and this is the best result I can expect. I am not super strict with what I eat, but I do pay attention to calories and I'm at around 800 a day. I was doing 500-600 a day before when I was losing.

Going to read Butterbean's collection again to see if that makes me feel any better.[/quote']

Hi deltagirl. I have followed your posts since you were sleeved. I enjoy your matter-of-fact way of thought. Your preop, surgery, and post op seemed to go perfectly. Your stall is of interest because we seem similar in the way we planned and executed this process. I am weeks behind you so offer no suggestions but do hope that you will stay in contact so i know how you solve this and how it all plays out. I do have one question... Did you add any exercise and if so, how do you think it has played into this? Good luck. I have no doubt you will plow on through this. You are definitely not someone who stands there and just allows something to happen without giving it your all! ...that is what i love about you. Keep posting please!