Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Treadmill Is Kicking My Butt!

Hey Guys:

Eight weeks out on Tuesday and sI tarted using the treadmill last week. Good news, my hubby is doing it with me, and that motivates me to do it.

Bad news, I am having a really hard time with it. It's hard for me to even get myself to do it because I remember how hard it was the last time. Right now we are doing one mile, 5 days a week. I have an incline of 3, and I walk for 4 minutes at 2.2, and run for a minute at 3.0 My heart rate gets to over 150, but by the time I'm halfway through (takes me 27 minutes to complete the mile with the walk-run intervals), I'm feeling like a 90 year old woman! I'm really embarrassed, as I know the speed is so slow to begin with, and it feels like I'm not doing enough. I'm so out of shape! I'm 5'1 and weigh about 177 right now, but I run like someone quite heavier. Yesterday I even did 3 minutes walking and 1 minute running, not because I felt like I could do it, but just to get it over with sooner. How long before it gets easier?

Maybe you need to start smaller, say 2 15 minute walks. Work your way up to more. When I walk, I go 8 minutes and then turn around and come home. Remember, it may not be much, but you are doing something and if you are like me, that is probably more than you were doing before surgery! Stick with it!!!

Maybe be its the incline that's doing you in? I read that 1.5 incline closely resembles outdoors normal walking conditions.. Good luck hope it gets better soon

I know personally I have a mind block against running, so I walk longer at a higher incline and higher rate. It might be the running that is throwing you off. Also. I know that walking outside for me is aways more enjoyable too. Once you get into the routine it might not be fun to start but once you get going and in the groove, you might just enjoy the time to forget the rest of the world and destress.

I think you are doing good because you are getting cardio in. Over time your body will build up as it gets

stronger, dont get discouraged just keep it moving. I'm 3 weeks out and I jumped on the staid machine and thought I was going to pass out, I was devastated because before surgery I was able to do 35-45 minutes but I had to realize my body is going through a transformation, so now I alternate between the stair machine 30 minutes,

treadmill 30 minutes and alternating the bike. I was walk/jogging too, yeah Imma wait for that until I get

stronger. I also walk in the mornings on a nature trail for 45 minutes(I get bored with the gym) I figure as

long as I keep moving I will see results. Good Luck, your doing awesome keep it moving

Hey Guys:

Eight weeks out on Tuesday and sI tarted using the treadmill last week. Good news' date=' my hubby is doing it with me, and that motivates me to do it.

Bad news, I am having a really hard time with it. It's hard for me to even get myself to do it because I remember how hard it was the last time. Right now we are doing one mile, 5 days a week. I have an incline of 3, and I walk for 4 minutes at 2.2, and run for a minute at 3.0 My heart rate gets to over 150, but by the time I'm halfway through (takes me 27 minutes to complete the mile with the walk-run intervals), I'm feeling like a 90 year old woman! I'm really embarrassed, as I know the speed is so slow to begin with, and it feels like I'm not doing enough. I'm so out of shape! I'm 5'1 and weigh about 177 right now, but I run like someone quite heavier. Yesterday I even did 3 minutes walking and 1 minute running, not because I felt like I could do it, but just to get it over with sooner. How long before it gets easier?[/quote']

I think the important thing is that YOU are exercising and moving. U dont have to be perfect at it just as long as u are doing it continuously. Dont worry, stamina will increase the more u workout. U r doing great!

Keep up the good work, you are doing great! Your body will adjust and you will reap the benefits of a healthier lifestyle. Make adjustments as needed so you enjoy working out, it can't be something you dread as we have to do it for the rest of our lives. Best wishes!

You dont need to run. I do a mile,at 2.6 walking the entire time. Need to work up to running,dont jeopardize it by doing too much at one time,you have the rest of your life to get there

I don't do any running on the treadmill because my knees can't take it. I can get my heart rate up without it. I started out doing 3 mph and no incline and gradually increased the incline over time. Now my standard on the treadmill is 50 minutes, 3.5 mph and 10% incline. Oh, I'm 7 months out. I tend to do more elliptical. When I was first out it was summer so I did what I called "natural" walking but once the weather got colder I joined the gym.

Also, get some good music going, its amazing how you can push through if you have music with a good beat. My standard is Ella Fitzgerald... i'm into old jazz!

Thanks for all the encouragement and great tips. Maybe I am trying too much too fast...I will keep pressing on at a pace that works for me!

Try without the incline. Build up to doing intervals. I've been running for 3 yrs in my big body. Looking forward to running leaner. But you do have to start slow.:0)