Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

excited but worried in Dallas

Hi -

My name is Brenda and I am going to my first information meeting next week at Presbyterian, Dallas. (I did have an informal conversation with my general surgeon a few months ago). I am excited and worried about the prospect of such a radical change. I guess my biggest concerns are: how will I deal with depression if I can't use junk food, will I end up with lots of loose skin and what if I go through all of this and it doesn't work (or I gain the weight back). I'm also concerned about the extreme reduction in calories post-op and what that might do to my already low energy level and metabolism. I am very anemic and have low Vitamin B levels which both require supplements - I wonder if GS surgery will worsen these levels.

I have several problems due to my weight: mild hypertension, pre-diabetes (my dad has type II diabetes), hiatal hernia with GERD, arthritis, a heart murmur (my cardiologist says will likely go away with weight loss) and I had to have umbilical hernia surgery last fall.

I believe I owe this to my family - especially my daughter. I want to be around to see the grandchildren I hope to have someday. I want to be able to go out and do things with her without being slow, in pain and possibly embarassing to her.

I would appreciate any advice on if Dr. Davidson at Presby Dallas and his skill level, and also regarding the several concerns I have.

Thank you in advance -

Brenda

Hi -

My name is Brenda and I am going to my first information meeting next week at Presbyterian, Dallas. (I did have an informal conversation with my general surgeon a few months ago). I am excited and worried about the prospect of such a radical change. I guess my biggest concerns are: how will I deal with depression if I can't use junk food, will I end up with lots of loose skin and what if I go through all of this and it doesn't work (or I gain the weight back). I'm also concerned about the extreme reduction in calories post-op and what that might do to my already low energy level and metabolism. I am very anemic and have low Vitamin B levels which both require supplements - I wonder if GS surgery will worsen these levels.

I have several problems due to my weight: mild hypertension, pre-diabetes (my dad has type II diabetes), hiatal hernia with GERD, arthritis, a heart murmur (my cardiologist says will likely go away with weight loss) and I had to have umbilical hernia surgery last fall.

I believe I owe this to my family - especially my daughter. I want to be around to see the grandchildren I hope to have someday. I want to be able to go out and do things with her without being slow, in pain and possibly embarassing to her.

I would appreciate any advice on if Dr. Davidson at Presby Dallas and his skill level, and also regarding the several concerns I have.

Thank you in advance -

Brenda

Dr. Davidson is the best there is. He has been voted 'Top Doc' in D Magazine for something like 18 years straight. He is good......we are back in Dallas, but when I had surgery in 2010 we were living in Wisconsin....I came home for this surgery and after much research, decided on sleeve surgery and decided on Dr. D. Seminar was at Presbyterian but I had surgery at Forest Park Medical Center. I never regretted my decision, although, leading up to the big day, I had all these concerns. I was never depressed, you CAN use junk food as a crutch......this is just a tool. You will hopefully choose not to eat around the sleeve. Enjoy the ride, it's a great journey. I loved it from the moment I woke up in recovery......I never really had any problems, the pain isn't bad and I only took prescription meds at night and only for 8 days after leaving the hospital. Once your clothes start getting too big and once you get to start buying new ones......it's a whole different world!!! I go to North Park some times, just to try on clothes because NOW IT IS FUN!!!!! Whereas before, it was a chore, I went shopping when I NEEDED something. There was nothing fun about it. You will be sucessful, they are going to remove approx 85% of your tummy.....it's forced Portion Control. Buy a disposable camera and take a picture the morning of surgery, and then take a pic every month on your anniversary. At your one year surgiversary......take the last picture and then go get them developed. Laying side by side, the transformation is amazing!!!! It's fun!!! You'll be fine, this is the best thing you can do for yourself. I promise you!!!! Good luck!!! stacy

Hi NtvTxn -

Thanks so much for the encouraging words! I feel a lot better hearing from someone who used the same surgeon I plan to use. I will take comments to heart - can't wait to get this process rolling! Taking my mom with me to the meeting next Friday.

Hi -

My name is Brenda and I am going to my first information meeting next week at Presbyterian' date=' Dallas. (I did have an informal conversation with my general surgeon a few months ago). I am excited and worried about the prospect of such a radical change. I guess my biggest concerns are: how will I deal with depression if I can't use junk food, will I end up with lots of loose skin and what if I go through all of this and it doesn't work (or I gain the weight back). I'm also concerned about the extreme reduction in calories post-op and what that might do to my already low energy level and metabolism. I am very anemic and have low Vitamin B levels which both require supplements - I wonder if GS surgery will worsen these levels.

Thank you in advance -

Brenda[/quote']

Hello Brenda... i had my surgery August 23, 2012. Dr Davidson was my surgeon and he is excellent. You are in great hands. I had my concerns and was so nervous the morning of my surgery. He came to speak to me and explained what he would be doing and how i would be feeling when i woke up. He then did a prayer with me and my family. It helped calm me down. I am very pleased with my decision. The first five days were rough but each day got better. Day of surgery i was a size 22 and today i am a size 14. I haven't kept up with exercising but I want to change that. My energy level was low in the beginning but it leveled out now. I feel great.

post-35811-13813662352741_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH]8305[/ATTACH]

Wow, Jodi - I am so impressed! You are doing so well!

I'm really glad to hear from another Dr. Davidson patient - and it's really comforting to hear that he will pray with me before the surgery.

I hope to follow in your footsteps very soon

Dr Davidson is amazing!! Intelligent, caring person and skilled surgeon!

I thank every day that I met him and chose him to help save my life!

His nurse Gayle is super sweet and helpful and gives so much of herself.

I love him and his team!!!

I can't wait to meet them - they sound great!

They really are...you are making a wise decision! :)

Be ready for a new wonderful life!! <3

Dr Davidson is amazing!! Intelligent' date=' caring person and skilled surgeon!

I thank every day that I met him and chose him to help save my life!

His nurse Gayle is super sweet and helpful and gives so much of herself.

I love him and his team!!![/quote']

Nurse Gayle is great.

Wow' date=' Jodi - I am so impressed! You are doing so well!

I'm really glad to hear from another Dr. Davidson patient - and it's really comforting to hear that he will pray with me before the surgery.

I hope to follow in your footsteps very soon[/quote']

Thank you. You will do great.. i promise it is so worth it.