Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Compulsive/ Binge Eating

Merry Christmas/Yule/Solstice/hanakuh/kuanzaa

(sorry if i butcherd the spelling some)

Today i woke up and did different, we opened our stockings from the inlaws and they filled my husbands with candy, alot of candy and mine was no candy and im thankful. but i did ask my husband to hide his candy.

Last night he came in from work with a christmas gift for me, me being me I didnt want to wait so i opened it, and at first i was lost to what it was, but i figured an mp3 player. But low and behold this little man of mine smiled and showed me that not only was it and mp3 player but it counts calories burned, its a pedometer, a stop watch, it's the new sport sony tube 2g. and its sweat proof!

he did this to motivate me to work out and get out and walk. he actually cared for me when i thought i was alone. so today i am thankful for not eating candy, for eating a healthy breakfest and for my little husband who cared enough to marry a fat girl and help her on her way to see a healthy girl.

MourningFuneral: That was the sweetest Christmas story I've heard yet!

Betsyjane: Your post is an inspiration to me. Listen to my body, slow down, stay gentle with myself and food, and listen for the cues. Brilliant!

bwaydiva: Congratulations for getting up, dusting yourself off (at Renfrew) and having a bright future. Your experience sounds hard but you've had the strength to work through it. Thank God you were able to get the help you needed. A lot of people never do.

You people continue to amaze and inspire me. Thank you so much!! I hope you all have a beautiful day and a very Happy and Successful 2007! BJ

MourningFuneral: That was the sweetest Christmas story I've heard yet!

Betsyjane: Your post is an inspiration to me. Listen to my body, slow down, stay gentle with myself and food, and listen for the cues. Brilliant!

bwaydiva: Congratulations for getting up, dusting yourself off (at Renfrew) and having a bright future. Your experience sounds hard but you've had the strength to work through it. Thank God you were able to get the help you needed. A lot of people never do.

You people continue to amaze and inspire me. Thank you so much!! I hope you all have a beautiful day and a very Happy and Successful 2007! BJ

You too love! I hop everyone feels like there is hope out there because there is in everthing we do and every day that we are alive<3

I keep my mouth working all the time. I chew, chew, and chew. It is the swollowing that I have a hard time with. I am afraid that if I swollow my chewing it will get stuck and not desolve. I get told that my gum could claim abuse-beat to death.

seems to work, must learn to keep my mouth closed so that I do not wake the neighbors.

Terrilen,

I have a difficult time understand why any doctor would band you with bulimia! I thought they were supposed to make sure you didn't have an eating disorder before you had the surgery. Since I'm not banded yet, it just strikes me as insane for a doctor to do that. I guess Sharon Osborne has made this issue public knowledge with her having her band removed, but I still thought you had to have a psych evaluation before you could have the surgery. Please explain because I'm confused on this one.

I'll bet most of us have an eating disorder..... at least one. Must be trickier with bulemia, though. When I went for my first group consult before surgery, there was a woman there who was at normla weight and said she got there through bulemia. Said she wanted to get banded so she wouldn't gain weight, and then she wanted to stop binging and purging. The doctor went in with her individually and when she came out, as she left, she said "The doctor said NO." With Sharon Osbourne, seems like she'd want to treat the bulemia and NOT have the band removed so she doesn't balloon in weight. I guess every case takes some individual consideration.

I didn't have to have a psych eval, which of course means that the doctor knew I was normal LOL! It really is individual by doctor too. With me, the focus was on whether I was having an active Lupus attack...if so, the surgery would have had to be postponed. Glad I waited until now to have one. Yuck.

The good news is, I get to change my ticker! Lost 5 pounds since my first fill, and I have no idea how, since I only feel restriction in the morning!

Terrilen,

I have a difficult time understand why any doctor would band you with bulimia! I thought they were supposed to make sure you didn't have an eating disorder before you had the surgery. Since I'm not banded yet, it just strikes me as insane for a doctor to do that. I guess Sharon Osborne has made this issue public knowledge with her having her band removed, but I still thought you had to have a psych evaluation before you could have the surgery. Please explain because I'm confused on this one.

Wootsie at the time of my psych evaluation I had been in recovery for almost 5 years and we did not forsee it as a possible problem. We were wrong!:party:

Thanks for the response Terrilen. I was wondering why, but you answered my question. I am going to see a therapist to, so I can work through all of the issues that got me to this state in the first place. Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.

Joan

Jack and the others who have talked about carb addiction are right on target. Carbohydrates are very addictive and hard to get off of. I had 3 stents placed this past summer, luckily not in my heart, and my cardiologist told me to go on a no carb low fat diet. It was very hard at first, but one day I just stopped craving them. I did really well on the diet until I started having gastric problems. Since everything was just running through me, I just started eating what I wanted and I wasn't gaining weight. After the problem was discovered and I felt better, I kept on eating the carbs I had started eating again. So, now I've gain back most of the weight I lost and I've started smoking again too! I know I have to get off of the cigarettes before surgery, so hense the therapist. I know I'm not eating or smoking because the food tastes good and I enjoy the cigarettes. I'm doing it to medicate myself and I know that. However, this is a new year and I have my initial consultation with my surgeon on Friday, so I'm working to stop the smoking at least before I see him this week. Wish me luck!

Joan

Wootsie, I am only a year in recovery from bulimia and my doctor still said yes. For me, bulimia was my primary weight loss method for many years. And I actually knew better, the whole time. My mom is a nutritionist/dietician. I felt so desperate to get off the weight. I feel that learning, with the help of the lap band, how to lose weight in a healthy way by listening to my internal cues will be my final step in recovery. I'm one of the 20% of bulimics who are obese and for that sub group weight loss surgery has the best outcomes long term.

Side note: When an anorexic girl weighing 80 pounds says that they are too fat, their rational mind still knows on some level that they are actually very thin and with therapy that rational voice becomes stronger... enough to combat the irrational, eating disorder voice. For me, it is very difficult to deal with the eating disorder, irrational voice because it's true in some areas. I AM morbidly obese. I AM a musician and performer that cannot get hired because of my weight. I AM dealing with health problems that shouldn't affect ANYONE my own age. My treatment team thinks that the lap band will be able to help me and eventually lead to full recovery from the eating disorder mentation. Anyway, long post but I hope it was helpful.

Diva, you know compulsive eating no matter which way it swings is hurtful. Being too thin, or the binge purge cycle.

With the band, you can NOT binge purge anymore. If you do you will cause major issues. As a recovering "compulsive eater" myself, I have found that my head issues pop up more now that I can not binge/purge. You have to work on those issues. Eating disorders are more about control that food, in my opinion. You must be ready to control what you eat. The best way to do that with any eating disorder is to get off the insulin roller coaster so that you can focus on what is really bothering you.

I read a book called "Its not what your eating, its whats eating you." The title says it all really.

I am on day 6 no carbs. The pull has minimized, but I am eating way too much sugar free Jello. But guess that is ok this early in the game. :love:

Good luck to everyone in the new year. Be good to yourself.

You know what made me mad this morning? I watch The View and it was a repeat show that i missed and in this show they stated the government wants to put warning labels on plus size clothing like the cigarette companies do?????????????????????????????? Where the hell do they get off by trying to hurt peoples feelings? Can you imagine all the suicide attemps? I went through and are still going through depression and this just makes me mad/sad.:girl_hug:

On another note i piged out on everything for the past two days, im such an ass.... but today i woke up and thought, new year, new me... hopefully it will change seeing i ate all the candy in the house....

...the government wants to put warning labels on plus size clothing...

I found an article here, citing the source of that notion, which originates from the UK.

I read a subsequent blog concerning the recommendation, and one blogger said, "A label with a "1-800-DON'T BE FAT" number is not going to help."

I agree.

"A label with a "1-800-DON'T BE FAT" number is not going to help."

I agree.

Ofcourse it is not going to help! It's like saying, "here child your black you need to bleach your skin to be pretty" or "hey there sinora being mexican is worse than being american, just hate yourself for having an accent"

I find all of this untasteful and alarming. I have 2 daughter's and by god if they put those things on us like cattle, those label's i'm going to washington with my fat ass and telling mr. big man that if he could be an alcoholic and addicted to cocaine and be our leader then why cant someone whom has issues be themselves. hell we KNOW what we are. we are not stupid and it is not like we are not trying!:):mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'd rather see a warning on food ads on TV, fast food restaurants, food with corn Syrup or transfats.....

It is terribly frustrating to continue to be blamed for not just eating right and exercising. It's cruel.