Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New lifestyle- Vegan!

Hello Sleevers,

I was sleeved on Sep. 7th 2012 and I have since dropped 60 pounds. I have been very blessed with my transformation physically and mentally! I have gained so much confidence and I don't drag going jean shopping. haha, but there are a few things as many of you probably go through as well- I am addicted to weighing myself every darn day and I'm counting calories to the extreme and I HATE BEING LIKE THIS! I freak out if I go over 700 calories per day. Since surgery, I can't chew down meat and I can't eat breads, pastas, rice or anything doughy! haha, I've lost hope in controling my addiction so, I have decided to try the vegan lifestyle and be mentally healthy as my priority. Is there anyone out there who has maybe felt the same way as I have? and if so, maybe hint out some advice.

Thanks guys!!

My surgery is 2 days away, so I am not yet sure how I will respond to meat post-op, but in general I don't necessarily like to eat meat all the time. Do you mind if I ask how you get in enough Protein if you are not eating meat or any animal products?

I am also interested in this topic. I am interested in becoming vegan as well but I would never eat soy for health reasons. Any yummy alternatives?

I personally have been getting real sick of red meat. I've been trying to add more vegetables to my diet lately. I've been making green shakes everyday and they are very satisfying and tasty. I add Protein powder to them and I have no problem getting in my Protein. I also eat salads just about every day and I will add some fish or chicken, cheese and boiled egg whites to get my protein. Plus I make my own ranch dressing out of greek yogurt and skim milk and it's mostly protein. I know that's not exactly vegan but I'm taking baby steps away from the adkins/paleo style diet I was eating in the beginning.

As for vegan protein powders, there are some good ones out there now. Hemp Protein Powder is very good, and I've been using sprouted brown rice Protein Powder lately in my green shakes. It's a very good protein. The problem with most vegan protein powders is they do not absorb as fast as whey, which is why whey is the one most recommended to sleevers.

My surgery is 2 days away' date=' so I am not yet sure how I will respond to meat post-op, but in general I don't necessarily like to eat meat all the time. Do you mind if I ask how you get in enough Protein if you are not eating meat or any animal products?[/quote']

Praying that you have an easy surgery and a speedy Recovery!

Praying that you have an easy surgery and a speedy Recovery!

Thanks very much!

Hello.

I think that going vegan can be a fantastic life altering step toward a more healthy lifestyle but as a nurse and a healthcare professional I want to encourage you to consider and ponder one thing. Sometimes veganism can turn into just another extension of some type of eating disorder. Some use it as a form of even greater restriction, limitation and its just one more thing that is a result of disordered eating habits. The reason why thats a problem is because it wont save you. You have to tackle WHY you do what you do to yourself.

That being said, this is not the case for everyone, and lots of people are perfectly happy vegans and do so by choice and/or other responsible reasons. Just consider things though, in the WLS community I think a lot of us are prone to disordered feelings toward foods.

As I've gotten farther out from surgery I've also considered a return to at least a vegetarian lifestyle. I spent the years from 15-21 & 26-28 as a vegetarian and really only resumed such a meat-heavy diet due to my choice to have the sleeve. It was the easier option, and I live overseas where there aren't mega-marts with a plethora of vegan/vegetarian food options/substitutes.

This entire pregnancy meat has completely disgusted me to the point where I can hardly stand to be in the room when it's cooking...and I'm the family cook!

The first thing you need to do is get yourself a few books. The biggest mistake vegetarians/vegans make is not educating themselves about a properly balanced diet. It's very easy to be an unhealthy vegetarian or vegan if you're not careful! It's not as simple as avoiding meat. And in America, it's so easy to be a vegan that relies heavily on processed "fake" foods that are intended to sub in for foods you've given up - when these are no healthier (and in some cases less healthy) than the alternative. The more of your food you make yourself, the healthier you'll be and that applies to any style of eating.

So get to your local library or bookstore and get some reading materials before you jump into this. It's more of a challenge than just skipping the cheeseburger. Everything from medicine to your Protein shake needs to be considered. One of the biggest and easiest books to read is The Veganomicon. I refer to it pretty frequently.

I enjoy quinoa (an easily digestible seed that is a complete protein), lentils are almost as good as meat and I prefer seitan over tofu or tempeh any day. Limit your soy intake and don't trade in a life of meat for a life of soy. Moderation in all things!

Go slowly. This is not a lifestyle you can adapt overnight. Transition slowly or you'll burn out and don't expect to live perfectly right away. It's hard to stick to a strict diet and you'll see very quickly how other people aren't as accepting or understanding of the challenges it presents not only to you but to them.

Good luck. It's possible to do this but I recommend a slow transition to vegetarian and the on to vegan over the course of several months to a year.

~Cheri

Hello.

I think that going vegan can be a fantastic life altering step toward a more healthy lifestyle but as a nurse and a healthcare professional I want to encourage you to consider and ponder one thing. Sometimes veganism can turn into just another extension of some type of eating disorder. Some use it as a form of even greater restriction, limitation and its just one more thing that is a result of disordered eating habits. The reason why thats a problem is because it wont save you. You have to tackle WHY you do what you do to yourself.

That being said, this is not the case for everyone, and lots of people are perfectly happy vegans and do so by choice and/or other responsible reasons. Just consider things though, in the WLS community I think a lot of us are prone to disordered feelings toward foods.

Yes. This is true. I have a deeply troubled stepdaughter that has used her vegetarianism (and for a while, veganism) as a socially acceptable excuse for her anorexia. By claiming a restrictive diet she avoided eating and when she shed weight she blamed it on her diet. I'm not saying this is what the OP is doing. But always consider every angle. My stepdaughter was convinced that her behaviors were based in a disgust of meat and the animal industries in our country...but those arguments lacked a little something when she was wearing leather shoes and a fur-trimmed jacket as she spoke them.

She's still vegetarian now but it took her several months with a therapist to accept that she started this particular food journey because of her disorder.

~Cheri

Yes. This is true. I have a deeply troubled stepdaughter that has used her vegetarianism (and for a while, veganism) as a socially acceptable excuse for her anorexia. By claiming a restrictive diet she avoided eating and when she shed weight she blamed it on her diet. I'm not saying this is what the OP is doing. But always consider every angle. My stepdaughter was convinced that her behaviors were based in a disgust of meat and the animal industries in our country...but those arguments lacked a little something when she was wearing leather shoes and a fur-trimmed jacket as she spoke them.

She's still vegetarian now but it took her several months with a therapist to accept that she started this particular food journey because of her disorder.

~Cheri

Yep, couldnt have said it better. It's not always like this, but a lot of times it is. Also what you said about nutrition was spot on. I couldnt have said it better myself.

I personally have been getting real sick of red meat. I've been trying to add more vegetables to my diet lately. I've been making green shakes everyday and they are very satisfying and tasty. I add Protein powder to them and I have no problem getting in my Protein. I also eat salads just about every day and I will add some fish or chicken, cheese and boiled egg whites to get my protein. Plus I make my own ranch dressing out of greek yogurt and skim milk and it's mostly protein. I know that's not exactly vegan but I'm taking baby steps away from the adkins/paleo style diet I was eating in the beginning.

As for vegan protein powders, there are some good ones out there now. Hemp Protein Powder is very good, and I've been using sprouted brown rice protein powder lately in my green shakes. It's a very good protein. The problem with most vegan protein powders is they do not absorb as fast as whey, which is why whey is the one most recommended to sleevers.

I'm definitely looking to eat more Dr.fuhrman style in the long run as a lifestyle choice, but for now and I think until several months after surgery, I'm eating a lot of meat. I'm just preop and I'm already getting sick of it.

My surgery is 2 days away' date=' so I am not yet sure how I will respond to meat post-op, but in general I don't necessarily like to eat meat all the time. Do you mind if I ask howr b you get in enough Protein if you are not eating meat or any animal products?[/quote']

Hello!

I'm eating tofu, it has great Protein in it. Also, Beans, and Protein shakes, I try not to over do it with my shakes only because I get very nauseous. I don't know if its because of surgery or not, but I've always experienced that. Congrats on your surgery!! :-)

I wish you the very best!

I am also interested in this topic. I am interested in becoming vegan as well but I would never eat soy for health reasons. Any yummy alternatives?

Hello!

soy products are honestly not bad at all! although I can say that I don't like soy milk. Since surgery, my sleeve has rejected anything that's not raw green and veggies. Even certain veggies I can't have, like brocolli unless its eaten raw. I love tofu,its my substitution for meat and a great Protein source. But other than this, I eat plenty of hearty salads and if you're creative enough with your plate, you should be just fine!

Hello.

I think that going vegan can be a fantastic life altering step toward a more healthy lifestyle but as a nurse and a healthcare professional I want to encourage you to consider and ponder one thing. Sometimes veganism can turn into just another extension of some type of eating disorder. Some use it as a form of even greater restriction' date=' limitation and its just one more thing that is a result of disordered eating habits. The reason why thats a problem is because it wont save you. You have to tackle WHY you do what you do to yourself.

That being said, this is not the case for everyone, and lots of people are perfectly happy vegans and do so by choice and/or other responsible reasons. Just consider things though, in the WLS community I think a lot of us are prone to disordered feelings toward foods.[/quote']

Hello and thank-you for sharing!

you are 100% right! This lifestyle isn't for just anyone. Me personally can live without meat, especially now because everytime I did try to eat beef or chicken I would end up throwing it up! (eww)

Although, vegan may seem a bit tough, I do encourage everyone to try a pescatarian diet for a month! this has more Protein and less restrictions!

I have eaten lacto/ovo vegetarian through out my whole sleeve experience. I am moving a little bit towards Vegan meal by meal.My advice is get enough Protein while you are losing. Eating dairy and eggs help a LOT in getting to this goal. I became milk intolerant the first three months after my surgery so went without at that time. You can use whey if you are milk intolerant. If you do not get enough protein while losing, the loss will come from muscle hair and organs... don't want that! I eat/ate soy, gluten, Beans, cheese/yog/cottage cheese...whey, nuts and seeds...I missed veggies,(no room) but started making veg Soup and getting them in that way. Could not eat raw for quite a few months. I fully support vegetarian and vegan lifestyle, but you need to eat protein for the first year or so.