Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NEVER eating a french fry again!

So I was at Mc Donald's with my kids, didn't order anything, nor was I really hungry for that food. The smells got to me tho, my son had hot salty French fries, I tried one, just One greasy fry.

The minute it hit my stomach it felt AWFUL.

Threw up 3 times on the way home. Totally not worth it.

Oh boy what a life change this is! Any similar experiences?

I know fried foods are a no no but thanks for the warning.

Fries were my most beloved food prior to surgery. And if I indulged one day, I had to have them EVERY DAY. I would crave them. I loved fried foods.

I doubt they'll always affect you so strongly, but yeah...they aren't so fabulous post op, are they?

As your tastes change your standards will get higher. I no longer want greasy, quick foods - when I was back in America over the summer the first thing I wanted to do was eat some fast food. Within my new better habits, of course, not like I would have done pre op. Ugh. All I can say is YUCK. If you go without eating that garbage for any real length of time, you'll be amazed by how disgusting it is after a while.

Sure, some foods are still enjoyable no matter how bad I know they are. I love soda, so I keep my consumption to a minimum. I love popcorn, but I pop my own on the stove and ration myself so I don't overdo it. But most of those old trigger foods? They're gone. They taste like the garbage they are, and that's not a bad thing at all.

You might find that later on you'll enjoy a real, homemade french fry every now and again. I'm okay with them if I make them myself. They taste a thousand times better. But I still only eat four or five before I've had enough. It's nice to know you CAN eat them, even if you don't want to do it.

~Cheri

thanks for the warning!

Im hard headed... Ive tried them 3 different times, most recently yesterday... 2nd fried left me with a pain in my chest....10 minutes later mouth full of fluid... 5 minutes later a mad rush to the porcelein god...

Unfortunately (or not) I have been able to eat anything..2 wks out. No throw up, no pain. I did have about 4 of my sons. I had that they tasted good. I also had a cheeseburger (no bun). I almost ate the whole thing.I sometimes wish i couldn't eat that stuff!

Unfortunately (or not) I have been able to eat anything..2 wks out. No throw up, no pain. I did have about 4 of my sons. I had that they tasted good. I also had a cheeseburger (no bun). I almost ate the whole thing.I sometimes wish i couldn't eat that stuff!

You may want to be really really careful. At two weeks out, your stomach is still healing. You won't notice a lot of restriction until you are healed. Typically after two weeks, most folks are getting their nutrition through purees so that the stomach doesn't get stretched and pressure put on the incision. Tread softly so that you will be okay in the long run :)

Thank you Alicia for the warning. I had a friend you had the bypass years ago and she kept eating fries from fast food and all she did was complain about how awful they tasted when you chewed them 25 times. I just didn't get why she would waste the calories on them if they were so disgusting when chewed up so much. I don't think I'll ever eat a fried fry again....and I told my family this too. I told them we will make our own if we want them and use the oven. They were cool with that.

On another note, I did eat 1 hard shell taco from Taco Bell (bad bad me) very slowly and very chewed up because of the hard shell. I ate the whole thing in the end and didn't feel great. Not sure if it was eating too fast or just because it's fast food. Oh well. You live and learn is all we can do with this procedure. Some of us will handle most things well and some not so well.

I did eat 1 hard shell taco from Taco Bell (bad bad me) very slowly and very chewed up because of the hard shell. I ate the whole thing in the end and didn't feel great. Not sure if it was eating too fast or just because it's fast food. Oh well. You live and learn is all we can do with this procedure. Some of us will handle most things well and some not so well.

I don't know that a taco is a terrible food choice, even if it's not a spectacular one. I ate them and still do on occasion. They bother me less than super fried foods. Anyway, I chimed in to say that I discovered after the first time I ate one that I had to order them without lettuce. Iceberg makes me feel terrible every time I eat it. So, if you ever do feel up to trying it again, try it without lettuce. They'll think you're nuts when you order but who cares? Anyway, I also tried to eat the whole thing the first time or two but in reality, I have to leave two or three bites behind or it's too much.

~Cheri

Well, I went to our Bariatric Support Group Christmas Party 12 days out and down 22 LBS.

I put a small very small piece of baked chicken in my plate, I walked past my surgeon and NUT The two of them were on me like a magnet and said "We know your are not going to eat that!!!" I said, I guess I'm not :-)

They couldn't impress upon me more to follow the life plan and only eat only the foods outlined in the plan and follow the timeline. It really does work, I'm down 55 lbs 6 weeks out.

On occasion I will roast potatoes in the oven with other vegetable and olive oil. It's enough to rid me of the french fry craving.

I wish certain things gave my sleeve trouble, but they don't. It is true that my higher standards have caused my tastes to change though.

So I was at Mc Donald's with my kids' date=' didn't order anything, nor was I really hungry for that food. The smells got to me tho, my son had hot salty French fries, I tried one, just One greasy fry.

The minute it hit my stomach it felt AWFUL.

Threw up 3 times on the way home. Totally not worth it.

Oh boy what a life change this is! Any similar experiences?[/quote']

This happened to me off a baked fry.....,almost immediately!! I'm with you never again.

I'm a member of a VSG Facebook group and a lot of people on there say white potatoes in general give them problems. I'm a HUGE french fry fan as well, I half hope that after my surgery I won't like them or won't be able to tolerate them :(