Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Craving fruits and veggies... Juicing anyone?

I'm just about 3 months out from surgery and my weight loss has been.. Well slower than expected and I go through continual stalls. My weight won't move for over a week even though I'm eating between 800-1k calories per day and at minimum 80g of Protein. I also work out 3-4 times per week. So I'm getting frustrated. I also feel like all I ever eat is meat! By the time I get a few oz of chicken or pork in I'm stuffed, there's no room for veggies or anything else. And because I push to reach my Protein (I do drink 2 shakes per day) I feel like that all I eat.

So feeling meated out and frustrated with slow weight loss I watched Fat Sick and Nearly Dying the other night and completely want to try juicing now. I would not do a total fast but I'm thinking o maybe replacing one meal a day with a veggie/fruit packed juice. I would add kale And other protein based veggies.

Has anyone else tried it? Thoughts?

I would replace a 20g shake with 40g Isopure Zero Carb (pre-made). You're gonna get more bang for the ounce and it counts toward Fluid intake as well. I have one per day in the afternoon and evening. Doing that will allow you to need less Protein per food intake and can enjoy some fruit/veggies as a part of your meals or even morning or afternoon snack.< /p>

Good questions... I would love to know any feedback because im only 2 weeks post-op, I have one more week on Clear liquids then i move to phase 2 soft foods for 3 weeks then to solid foods. I had planned to drink Protein drinks for Breakfast and lunch then eat soft foods for dinner. I dont want to sabatoge my wl efforts if i drink 2 of my 3 meals daily until i feel comfortable eating 3 meals daily??? Hopefully someone will respond with more insight if its good to juice or not. Best of luck

TD41

I wouldn't drink a 40 g Isopure in one sitting and expect to absorb that much Protein. Your body can only absorb so much Protein at one time and the rest will be wasted. Usually it is closer to 30-35 grams...depending on the person.

The real problem with juicing is you leave so many of the nutrients and Fiber behind. I bought a vitamix recently and have started making green shakes every day. I put in kale, frozen fruit, Protein powder, broccoli, chia seeds and whatever else I have lying around. I've never been this regular, I'm still getting in protein...and although there is more carbs involved, most of them are low glycemic carbs so it's nothing but healthy. I do feel much better getting in something besides meat and cheese.

The vitamix absolutely liquifies everything, but it is not cheap, I've heard good things about the Ninja blender which is somewhat cheaper, but still way better than a typical blender.

I wasn't suggesting the whole 40g of Isopure in one sitting. I take the bottle and graze on it all afternoon at my desk at work. When I leave work it's usually 33% full still and drink it into the evening. It's best when cold so over ice, or pouring in to a smaller glass helps too.

I wasn't suggesting the whole 40g of Isopure in one sitting. I take the bottle and graze on it all afternoon at my desk at work. When I leave work it's usually 33% full still and drink it into the evening. It's best when cold so over ice, or pouring in to a smaller glass helps too.

Sounds like a good plan. I was just making it clear for anyone who comes along later and reads this thread. You never know....there have been many posts in the past about people wanting to drink a 50+ g shake in one sitting and calling it good for the day.

Hi skinny girl,

Funny you should ask that. I too am sick of meat type things! Yesterday I feeling kind of yucky. Long story short a friend came over with her "mean green" juice. I thanked her and thought "I'm not getting within 10 feet of that" Omg it looked so bad! After a while I tried a shot glass...

IT WAS SO GOOD!!! And now I feel so much better having something different in me :)

I will work these into my life now not everyday but a couple of times a week.

It had:

Kale

Carrots

Apples

Ginger

Lemon

Tangerine

Beets

Tomato

Cilantro

I was an avid juicer before surgery. I asked my NUT about it and she was all about it. My body just responds well to juicing. My problem is my juices don't taste very good and I would chug them. I'm scared to make them now. It's a mind thing. My typical juice has

Kale

Beets

Spinach

Carrots

Celery

Tomatoes

Cucumber

I like the idea of adding Protein to it. Perhaps less beets. The beets are what makes it taste unpleasant. I'm 2 1/2 months out and can tolerate much more. This post has inspired me to get out of my fear and get back into it.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Thank you all for your inputs - I did some more research this weekend and decided to give juicing a chance... I just don't think it's for me. I did make a juice following the 'Mean Green Juice' recipe from the documentary I mentioned (kale, cucumber, lemon, ginger root & green apples) and it is good but wow, took A LOT of veggies, prep time and clean up to get about 20 oz of juice out. I was disappointed to see that one full apple added only about 1 oz to my cup... I didn't buy the most expense juicer out there, but not the cheapest either. And from what I have found you can only keep the juice for about 1-2 days max.

So next thing will be to try as butterthebean mentioned and go for the green smoothie experience, I do like that I should be able to add my unflavored Protein in there, and maybe even my liquid Vitamin. That may be too much for my tummy to digest and work with all that once tho but I'll try it out. Either way, I'm excited to try it out!

juicing is great, but the issue is that for it to taste good you have to add a bunch of fruits which are high in sugar and calories. I was juicing for a bit because I felt like it was so healthy and then I started adding up the calories from the oranges, grapefruit, pineapple and apples (i didn't use all of them all the time) and the calories ended up being higher then if I would have eaten a damn cheeseburger!lol So juice away, just keep track of the fruits you are adding.

I really didn't use much fruit in my juices when I got into it because of the high sugar content. When using the veggie mix I loved before sleeve it didn't taste so good but my body thrived on them. My NUT pretty much told me that my juice concoction was mostly Water and not to worry about the calories. Fruit wouldn't allow for that. I did try a juice without the beets and it wasn't too bad. Needs some adjusting before I add the Protein powder. I will say that I miss veggies tremendously. I crave the crunch of a carrot or celery for some odd reason. In due time =). Once I figure out a good veggie juice I'll post the recipe.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I have veggie juice every other day. Usually spinach, cucumber, carrot and either lemon or apple. I add a scoop of unflavored Protein Powder and some chia seeds. It's a filling Breakfast and makes me feel great but it's too high in carbs to do everyday. The more fruit you use the higher in cals / carbs but f you're not used to the taste of veg juice you may want to start with more fruit.