Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth Control and Surgery

Hey all

I'm VERY new to this whole process and am still working on getting everything ready to see if the insurance will approve me. I went to my primary care Dr. the other day for one of the supervised weight loss visits and she wasn't very thrilled with the idea. (Even though she would write me scripts for Adipex with out blinking an eye...)

Anyhow, we were talking about what medications I am on and she pointed out that my mental health medicines can cause weight gain. I told her that I knew that but I can't risk my mental health just so I can look pretty. She kind of nodded like I said something ridiculous and then asked about my birth control.

I'm on Implanon and one of the side effects that most women complain about is the weight gain. I've been on the shot, and the pill before but what I really enjoy about the Implanon is that it is implanted for 3 years. I explained this, and that the last time I was on the pill I would forget it fairly regularly and that defeats the purpose. I would go back to the shot but I lack a car atm so getting to and from the health clinic in town became a nuisance with school and everything else. I ended up accidentally forgetting to make an appointment for the shot too, so I decided long term methods were probably my best bet.

She told me that the Implanon and the shot were the worst forms of birth controls to be on because of weight gain, and that I really should take better care of myself, and that I was just making excuses about the pill. She said that because I'm 24 I should have my life together enough to take a pill. ( I do take other pills but they aren't time specific so if I forget to take my morning dose it isn't the end of the world and yes I forget those too from time to time) *beats head against the wall*

Anyways, so I didn't say anything. I just nodded and then asked her what form of birth control she would recommend that I switch to in order to lessen the side effects of weight gain. She just looked at me. After a while she said "Well... any of them." *tears out hair* I did my own research and all of the birth control methods that I found have the side effect of weight gain.

So with that long story done, any one have any advice? The doctor that I've spoken with about my surgery knows that I'm on Implanon and didn't say anything about it being a problem or a hinderance.

I know that hormones affect each woman differently but if there is a birth control that I can switch to that might make this process easier I'm willing to look into it. Also, I don't have any kids right now so I can't get IUD's. The whole reason for the birth control is that I don't want to become pregnant now. I'm a week away from being 25 and still in college. I don't have boyfriend or anything but I would much rather be on it than not especially if, heaven forbid, something were to happen.

If you made it this far you deserve a gold star! * :) Thanks so much!

I have an IUD - Mirena. However, I am 37 and have had my kids and am married. Talk to your OBGYN about what your options are. There are a lot of choices. But most do have a side effect of weight gain.

It amazes me how ignorant people can be. I would tell that nurse to can the attitude and mind her own damn business. And your doctor? Find a new one who will be more supportive in your decision. My PCP does those Ironman competitions and his wife, who I work with, is a bodybuilder and does those competitions in a bikini. I never dreamed when I got my results for my yearly blood work that he would suggest this surgery. He was all over it! He didn't make me feel like a failure. He just sat down with me and explained how each of those abnormal cholesterol, blood sugar, triglyceride levels were slowly killing me. That got my attention pretty quickly.

i suggest that you switch PCP and consult with a with an OBGYN regarding which birth control option is right for you. I've been with my PCP for almost 7 years and she more than anyone knows my struggle with weight loss throughout the years. When i told her about my decision to get sleeved she was thrilled. She has been very supportive and I made sure that I expressed how thankful i was for her support. She had no hesitation in writing my letter of support for surgery.

What about the copper IUD? No hormones no weight gain ... stays up there for 5 years. Can be easily taken out if u decide you want babies beforehand .... it's the only BC that hasn't led me to gain weight. I got one when I was 22. No babies.

I was thinking about switching to a diaphragm (old-school, I know) for a while. With all of the estrogen our body dumps after surgery I don't want to add even more hormones. Plus I only have to remember to use it right before the main event :-)

What about the copper IUD? No hormones no weight gain ... stays up there for 5 years. Can be easily taken out if u decide you want babies beforehand .... it's the only BC that hasn't led me to gain weight. I got one when I was 22. No babies.

Oh yeah. I hear good stuff about Paragard

Do what's best for your lifestyle! Period! I have a bunch of allergies and although taking allergy shots once a week for a year and then once a month for the following year is one of the best ways to cure them, it's not realistic! I have a full time job and I go to school full time... When do I have time, once a week? I went with the drops every day for 3 months and it worked! It was the best thing for what I needed. Talk to your doctor about what's best and explain what you need. That's it!

I've heard general stuff about the copper IUD but not anything specific from some one who has had it. I'll look into it for sure :-) With the copper IUD do you still get periods? I love not having them. Mine were horrendous! The good news is I'm switching PCP's because I'm moving to a new school tomorrow yay!

I've always been overweight, I have also been on NuvaRing for 10 years, not once has a doc or wls doc said its a cause for my weight. They also say I should continue to use it after surgery! I had the lapband with it and with revision I will continue to use it! I love and swear by it! Almost every method has to list "weight gain" as a side effect because they have hormones which can effect a woman's weight. But check it out, keep an open mind and find a new supportive pcp! There are a lot out there!

Wow, I would have told your doctor to go f herself. Who is she to judge you?

Mirena is pretty good. I've had 2 inserted and removed and I've never had children.

I was on the Nuvaring as well, but one day a nurse told me that because I was heavy that it wasn't as effective. She said its like putting a drop of red food coloring in a teaspoon vs a tablespoon. You'll see both turn shades of red but the teaspoon is darker because there is less Water for it to spread out in. It's the first time someone told me that so I don't know how true or correct it is

I'm on my second mirena- the first was put in pre- children. I also know a few people with the paraguard and they all have great things to say about it!

As a OB/GYN health care provider, I can tell you that the Implanon that you are using is fine if you are happy with it. It does have a small risk of weight gain, about 10 lbs over a 3 yr period. The only method I would NOT recommend would be the DEPO. It alters the way carbs are metabolized and can really put weight on. Increases appetite as well. The NuvaRing is excellent and would be a great choice as well Does not matter if you are obese. If you know you are not a reliable pill taker, then don't even consider. You do need to find a new PCP.

Oh and also, you can get an IUD if you have never had kids. I would recommend the Mirena. Decreases or eliminates periods, lasts for 5 years. The ParaGard (copper IUD) lasts for 10 years, but can lengthen your period and cause more cramping. Some people end up getting these removed due to spotting between periods as well.

I've heard general stuff about the copper IUD but not anything specific from some one who has had it. I'll look into it for sure :-) With the copper IUD do you still get periods? I love not having them. Mine were horrendous! The good news is I'm switching PCP's because I'm moving to a new school tomorrow yay!

Yep still get periods - it's pretty unhealthy in my books not to get them!! Might be a reason for weight gain ... I have always had no problem periods and they (for me) are lighter with the IUD in place. This isn't the case for everyone though.