Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to sleeve revision - Dr. Kim (DFW area)

Hi! I'm working with Dr. Kim's office in hopes of doing a revision to sleeve. I've had my initial visit, my EGD, a follow up, and am now waiting on insurance approval. I'm wondering if anyone out there who sees Dr. Kim or his associate has had trouble getting things done?

I was seen initially in November. I called the sleep study place the first week of December because they had not called me like Dr. Kim's office stated they would. The sleep study place told me they would have to pre-cert my insurance and they would get back to me. Okay, that's reasonable. I waited patiently through the holidays as I know how that can slow things up. I finally called them the first week of January and they told me they had no record of me. Ugh! So when I followed up with Dr. Kim's office for my EGD results they faxed everything back over. I still have not heard from them. I was told that everyone who comes to Dr. Kim must have a sleep study.

I had my EGD on 1/4/13. No issues were evident, so that's positive. While at the hospital, everyone kept asking me if I was coming back next week for my sleeve. It seems everyone who was getting an EGD was already approved and scheduled. And from what I overheard (those curtains hold nothing back), they all still had the band, same as me. Hmmm...

So, my questions for you who have been to this practice are these.... Did you have to have a sleep study? Did you have issues with the clinic where the studies take place? Did you have the EGD right before before surgery or was your surgery date dependent upon the EGD? Did you have to have a cardio workup?

I'm really not trying to be ugly or anything. I'm just wondering what other's experiences have been like. I'm a nurse so I get that things have to be done according to policy, etc etc. It just seems that it's not going so smoothly for me. When I was banded I had everything done, boom boom boom. (I have the same insurance and I feel confident they will approve the revision. My insurance is pretty good.) However, this experience is much more chaotic. If you have story, please share as I'm just curious. Thanks!

I will be watching the replies to your post. I'm seeing Dr Kim for a consult on the 23rd. The sleep study is not something I was even thinking I would need so I hope that's not the case. I hope you get answers soon!

Thank you. I was hoping those who have been through the process will share as well. According to his office, the sleep study is a requirement of everyone who has surgery. They say sleep apnea slows down weight loss and will need to be treated. I'm going to be very upset if this holds up my surgery though. I'm pretty sure I don't have sleep apnea. I'm happy to jump through their hoops, but I feel this is reaching especially since I'm not getting anywhere with it.

I really like the staff and this is no way their fault nor does it change my mind about working with his office. Everything else so far, has been very pleasant and quality service. Like I said before, I'm just curious if this is standard. Anyway, good luck. Stay in touch, I'd be curious about your experience as well.

I am exactly a week post op from Dr Kim and my experience was surprisingly good! Dr Kim and his staff were very helpful the only thing I can think that would slow this process for you is if your insurance is taking longer this time around. I hope everything goes well for you but if you didn't have sleep apnea (as I did NOT) then I don't know why you would need that unless for insurance. I did do a cardio evaluation and blood work done but never a sleep study. And everything had been good. Wishing you the best!! Ill try to keep my profile updated good luck ;)

Congrats to you!! I'm glad you are doing well. Thanks for posting. That's very interesting. I finally got scheduled for my sleep study yesterday. I do that next Friday. And it's not my insurance that wants the sleep study, they told me everyone who has surgery through their office has to get a sleep study, but evidently that's not true. Oh well, I'm just so ready to get this over with, I'll do it. Thanks again! Stay in touch!

I don't know if it had to do with my age maybe, could be anything honestly. This procedure is so mentally consuming in a lot of ways but the good out ways the bad of course and my goal is to be healthy first and foremost. I did whatever I was told because I put my trust in Dr Kim. I know you will also! Best of luck once again and I'm glad everything is working out! :)

I called the office and asked about the sleep study. The guy I talked to said that based on my BMI he didn't THINK I would need one but he couldn't say for sure without the doctor evaluating me. I go next Wednesday so I'm getting nervous and excited. The guy said I have "excellent" insurance coverage so I was soo relieved to hear that!!

Oh good!! soooo happy for you! I was soo nervous and anxious back and forth but every time at the end of the day it came down to mind over matter! So glad you got the answers you wanted I know it can throw anxiety into overdrive with the answers you feel you need!! Good insurance can be hard to come by and that is great news!! Excited for you!!

Hi! I'm working with Dr. Kim's office in hopes of doing a revision to sleeve. I've had my initial visit' date=' my EGD, a follow up, and am now waiting on insurance approval. I'm wondering if anyone out there who sees Dr. Kim or his associate has had trouble getting things done?

I was seen initially in November. I called the sleep study place the first week of December because they had not called me like Dr. Kim's office stated they would. The sleep study place told me they would have to pre-cert my insurance and they would get back to me. Okay, that's reasonable. I waited patiently through the holidays as I know how that can slow things up. I finally called them the first week of January and they told me they had no record of me. Ugh! So when I followed up with Dr. Kim's office for my EGD results they faxed everything back over. I still have not heard from them. I was told that everyone who comes to Dr. Kim must have a sleep study.

I had my EGD on 1/4/13. No issues were evident, so that's positive. While at the hospital, everyone kept asking me if I was coming back next week for my sleeve. It seems everyone who was getting an EGD was already approved and scheduled. And from what I overheard (those curtains hold nothing back), they all still had the band, same as me. Hmmm...

So, my questions for you who have been to this practice are these.... Did you have to have a sleep study? Did you have issues with the clinic where the studies take place? Did you have the EGD right before before surgery or was your surgery date dependent upon the EGD? Did you have to have a cardio workup?

I'm really not trying to be ugly or anything. I'm just wondering what other's experiences have been like. I'm a nurse so I get that things have to be done according to policy, etc etc. It just seems that it's not going so smoothly for me. When I was banded I had everything done, boom boom boom. (I have the same insurance and I feel confident they will approve the revision. My insurance is pretty good.) However, this experience is much more chaotic. If you have story, please share as I'm just curious. Thanks![/quote']

Hi i am getting a revision done on jan 29

I was not required to do any thing i have a slipped band. Going to the sleeve

Lots of luck

Congrats to you! I hope it goes smoothly for you.

I find the inconsistencies irritating. If it were on a case by case basis, I could understand that and would have no problem with it. I still don't really have a problem with it, but we put our trust in our medical professionals, I don't like being lied to. Just say, "I think you need a sleep study" and not "everyone who comes in has to have one". I too have excellent insurance coverage and I feel confident that those who come in paying cash do not have to have these "extras". I'm just sayin...

I'm done with my query. I have my answers. It is what it is. Thanks for everyone who posted. I wish you all well and look forward to hearing about your successes!

I'm 4 months out with the sleeve and I thought Dr. Kim's staff really kept me on track and I know in my folder it had all my steps lined out with appointments and dates! I had 6 months worth of nutrition classes for my insurance, the sleep study, cardiac there in the office, and the EGD I think a week or 2 before my surgery. They told me the steps I needed to take on the list but I think I had to call and schedule all the appointments. Dr. Kim is a wonderful surgeon, totally top-notch and his staff is great!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Yes..I too had my appointments outlined with dates...sleep study..cardiac egd....not in that particular order but all were done...his staff is excellent..and I recommend him to anyone. I was revised from band to sleeve on 12/20...started at 246 now at 228..you will be pleased!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using VST

I know I am joining this thread a little late but my revision is scheduled for 2/14 with Dr. Kim. I have been through the sleep study, EDG, counseling and nutrition classes. I received a check off list the insurance assistance use when talking to my insurance company and I felt lucky I got off so easy.

The staff at Dr. Kim's so far have been very helpful and patient with me and my multitude of nervous type questions. I already feel much better than I did with my band dr. Oh and by the way, I was asked as well if I was coming back to the hospital to have my surgery in a couple of weeks. Not sure why they think that, I still had several insurance hoops to jump through before we even submitted the revision for approval.

I wish you all the luck. :)

I thinks its because Dr. Kim does surgery at many hospitals. They asked me the same thing. I had my surgery 1 week after my EGD.

I went to Dr. Kim for both my Band and my Sleeve. I paid cash for my Band because at the time my insurance did not cover it. I did not have any testing except blood work for the Band.

Since insurance now covers the Sleeve for me, I used insurance for my revision. I had my consultation in July 2012. I had 3 months of programming required for the insurance before it could be submitted. So at the end of September Dr. Kim's office submitted for approval. Surgery was January 14, 2013. Total process was 6 months for me.

I did have to do the sleep study et.al. for the revision. The sleep study place and the hospital for the EGD both called me right away when Dr. Kim's office said they would. I also was asked if I was coming back next week when I went for my EGD.

I think the reason they think we are coming right back is that other doctors do things in a different order. I've read other postings where surgery dates are planned prior to receiving approval. I suspect that it depends on the practice, and perhaps Dr. Kim's office is in the minority for doing the EGD further ahead of the actual surgery. I know for mine he needed to see if the band had caused damage due to the fact I was throwing up blood by the time he unfilled it.

Dr. Kim is very conservative in his practices and this, I feel, contributes to why his has such a low complication rate. I chose him based on reputation as a top notch surgeon and because his is a "Center of Excellence". I've been very happy with his skills as a surgeon and with the service of his staff.

I don't blame you for feeling frustrated with the experience you have had. I hope it improves.