Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seriously struggling with getting my protein

I add liquid egg whites in my Protein shakes.... there is no taste and i get added protein....3 TBL spoons has 5 grams protein....so if my Protein shake has 26 grams and I add 20 grams of Protein from egg whites...right off the bat my first shake of the day gives me 46 grams of protein!

The problem with that is that your body can't use that much protein in one go... I think 25-30 is the limit .. You are wasting the extra :/

The problem with that is that your body can't use that much Protein in one go... I think 25-30 is the limit .. You are wasting the extra :/

Really.....i had not heard that... I even told my doctor and he didn't say anything about that did you read that somewhere on the internet or what's your source for that....just curious...

Ive been told something to the effect your body cant process more than the 60 or so a day that everyones doc sets as their goal by a trainor.

Really.....i had not heard that... I even told my doctor and he didn't say anything about that did you read that somewhere on the internet or what's your source for that....just curious...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/476921-how-much-protein-can-you-absorb-at-one-time/

There are a variety of answers, but this one is the first one that broke down the whys and hows.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/476921-how-much-protein-can-you-absorb-at-one-time/

There are a variety of answers' date=' but this one is the first one that broke down the whys and hows.[/quote']

Ok let me try and understand this...so if I drink a Protein shake that has 26 grams and a half hour later I have lunch of cottage cheese and a string cheese...the Protein from the food is wasted?

Maybe? :)

I would wait an hour if possible, but honestly I don't know.. As the articles say there are a lot of variables dealing with how much and how long it takes to digest Protein but they all agree you can hit an upper limit and waste the excess.

Personally I have a drink at 530 when I wake up an then a bar at 9 when I get the kids off to school and then stick to real food for the rest of the day ... (Most all Protein based, so who knows how much I really get)

Hi, I just had surgery five days ago with a hernia repair and lap band to sleeve revision. I know what you mean about too sweet! My taste buds are back to normal but the only shake I could handle was the Unjury chocolate splendor. I used 1% milk it seems to be a little creamier my doc is ok with it. If you blend with a few ice cubes it is yummy!

Maybe? :)

I would wait an hour if possible' date=' but honestly I don't know.. As the articles say there are a lot of variables dealing with how much and how long it takes to digest Protein but they all agree you can hit an upper limit and waste the excess.

Personally I have a drink at 530 when I wake up an then a bar at 9 when I get the kids off to school and then stick to real food for the rest of the day ... (Most all Protein based, so who knows how much I really get)

[/quote']

The amount of protein you require depends on your weight and your daily caloric intake. Most Americans consume more than enough protein in their daily diets. A few specific groups of people are at risk for being protein-deficient, including elderly women and people with illnesses or eating disorders. A protein deficiency is defined as eating 50% to 75% of the recommended amount of daily protein, Butterfield explains.Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day.Protein should also make up approximately 15% of your total daily caloric intake, also according to the RDA. In a diet of 1,800 calories a day, for example, about 270 of those calories should come from protein.

Its all so confusing.....

The body is unable to store Protein therefore excess Protein is broken down and converted into sugars or fatty acids. The liver removes nitrogen from the amino acids, so that they can be burned as fuel, and the nitrogen is incorporated into urea, the substance that is excreted by the kidneys. These organs can normally cope with any extra workload but if kidney disease occurs, a decrease in protein will often be prescribed.Excessive protein intake may also cause the body to lose Calcium, which could lead to bone loss in the long-term. However, many protein powders, for instance, come supplemented with various amounts of Calcium per serving size so as to counteract the calcium-loss effect. Some suspect excessive protein intake is linked to several problems:Overreaction within the immune systemLiver dysfunction due to increased toxic residuesLoss of bone density, frailty of bones is due to calcium and glutamine being leached from bone and muscle tissue to balance increased acid intake from diet (blood pH is maintained at around 7.4). This effect is not present if intake of alkaline minerals (from fruits and vegetables, cereals are acidic as are Proteins, fats are neutral) is high. In such cases, protein intake is anabolic to bone. Many researchers think excessive intake of protein forces increased calcium excretion. If there is to be excessive intake of protein, it is thought that a regular intake of calcium would be able to stabilize, or even increase the uptake of calcium by the small intestine, which would be more beneficial in older women.