Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My old pcp was crazy! I went to her and told her i was starting the process and she was going to have to write a letter of approval and she basically point blank said she wouldnt. She wanted me to keep a food journal and come see her every 2 weeks for 6 months and then decide if i needed surgery. I've been there and done that, tried every diet under the sun. Safe to say i didn't go back 2 weeks later, I found a new pcp that wants me to have the surgery done by march at the latest!

I know this may sound jaded but I pay enough in insurance premium that the only answer I want to her from my PCP is yes. Think about all the years that you pay for insurance and never use it!

Some of these doctors are friggin nutts!

I know this may sound jaded but I pay enough in insurance premium that the only answer I want to her from my PCP is yes. Think about all the years that you pay for insurance and never use it!

Some of these doctors are friggin nutts!

That's exactly what I thought. I wasn't going to pay 50 dollars every two weeks to not get the surgery done after the 6 months. The new pcp, it wasn't even a question. As soon as I told her what I was wanting to do she was 2 steps ahead of me. My first visit with her she was doing ekgs, xrays, and blood work to make sure the surgeon gets everything he needs.

That's exactly what I thought. I wasn't going to pay 50 dollars every two weeks to not get the surgery done after the 6 months. The new pcp, it wasn't even a question. As soon as I told her what I was wanting to do she was 2 steps ahead of me. My first visit with her she was doing ekgs, xrays, and blood work to make sure the surgeon gets everything he needs.

Thank you for the inspiration! I have already selected a new primary if he hesitates once! The same one I'm switching to after I get his signature,

Thank you for the inspiration! I have already selected a new primary if he hesitates once! The same one I'm switching to after I get his signature' date='[/quote']

I don't know what I would do without this site. I keep second guessing myself and the old pcp made it even worse. Now that I have one on the same page I need to be on I'm getting back on track.

I don't know what I would do without this site. I keep second guessing myself and the old pcp made it even worse. Now that I have one on the same page I need to be on I'm getting back on track.

Congrads! Don't loose focus! Ultimately if you don't know whats best for you, no one else will either.

There are some awful PCPs out there and great ones as well. I LOVE my PCP. Her practice was closed, but they got a new doc in her practice and she opened it up again. The first visit was to basically set up care and get my chronic meds taken care of. I told her about my desire for WLS and she was quite supportive. She's worked hard to get my BP and thyroid under control. After my last visit she gave me a Huge hug and told me she couldn't wait to see me after my surgery. After hearing from you guys....I realize how lucky I am.

Nothing like having a supportive pcp, mine was supportive from day one, love her......

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Yeah, that's pretty much every single experience I've had in the last twelve years with a stateside doctor. No joke.

I get so frustrated with people that tell me it's not the norm...well, in my world, it really is. I've had to fight tooth and nail for some of the dumbest things - like a referral to get some physical therapy after I'd broken my leg in five places. My doctor wanted me to lose fifty pounds first! Um, how am I going to exercise and lose fifty pounds if I can't get out of bed without walking like Frankenstein?! I had the same doctor refer me to a dietitian FOUR times in a two year period because it was easier than just believing me when I said I was having trouble losing weight.

You're lucky if you can find a new doctor. In Tricare, it's incredibly difficult to change PCPs if you're using a military hospital and if you do, the old doc will hand over your file along with tales of how difficult you are so that your new doc has a bias before even seeing you. It's happened to me twice.

In my experience, this is much like any other service field. With a surplus of customers with no choice on where to go and a guaranteed payment from the insurance company, there's a decline in quality of service.

~Cheri

Very few people I know have been happy with military health care. I work in a setting that gets a lot of referrals from our local military installation and most of them are not happy unless they have no issues. There is absolutely no incentive to really do anything. It is sad that this is the way our country treats the people that are serving our country. My family members finally opted out of the prime and went standard. They decided they would rather pay than have to deal with crappy PCPs that were getting chump change for seeing them.

Jenn

I hear you all. I wonder if the problem is that WLS wasn't a very safe and effective option back when these doctors were in training?

A month ago I turned in the forms from the surgeon to my PCP's office, with a letter to my PCP about my decision to have VSG, asking for her help with the pre-op testing & the surgical clearance form. I said I had an appointment already (annual) for late January, but would like to move it up if possible.

I never got any response from her at all except that her staff gave me scripts for the two tests she had to order.

I manage a pediatric office across the hall from my PCP's office, have almost daily contact with the office and pass by the PCP in the halls at least a few times a week.

Granted that I have this appointment coming up, so I know I won't have to wait forever (the surgeon had thought I could probably have the surgery in late January, but really this isn't a ridiculous wait), but I have a bad feeling about the interaction with this doctor over the surgery. I don't think she's going to try to say no, but I don't get the idea that she gives a damn at all. Not likely to get much support there!

I have changed PCPs so many times due to insurance changes, and I hate to keep doing that, but I sure do miss the one I really liked! And although I do understand the reasoning, I hate the fact that my insurance requires me to go only to doctors who are a apart of the organization I work for - I feel like there would be no hope of true privacy if I wanted to discuss something controversial.

Oh, well. At least I got my orders, I have my last test tonight (sleep study) and by the end of this month I should be back at the surgeon's office setting a date. Unless the fact that I have lost 15# in the last 6 weeks and lowered my BMI to around 38 ends up working against me!

I actually stood up to my PCP at one point. Every time I'd go in, he'd remark about the weight, suggest diet, exercise, Weight Watchers, you name it. I told him that I'd tried it all and if that had worked, I wouldn't be fat. I told him that until *I* brought it up, my weight wasn't there for discussion.

I started my WLS work without ever involving him, only getting him involved when the paperwork required it. I made an appointment, took it in, and made it perfectly clear that this was my chosen route and I expected him to sign off on it.

Now, several months later, he's actually learning about the procedure and I sense that, at least in my case, he's understanding that his advice isn't right for everyone. Last time I went in I was only down 40 (it's almost 80 now!) and he actually hugged me and said he was proud.

If you don't have a PCP that's understanding or at least willing to get in line with what you want, find a new one.

My old PCP was the same way.....he tried in all ways possible to deter me from the WLS. Then one day he flat out said don't ask because I will NEVER give you clearance for it. It was personal reasons that he doesn't refer ANY of his patients for the WLS. I changed my PCP and at my follow up visit from my annual physical my new PCP asked me if I had ever considered having WLS. I almost cried when he brought it up because I had been afraid of his reaction if I brought it up first. I am beyond grateful for my new PCP he has def been a life changer for me!

Dang! My PCP suggested the surgery and I thought he was the crazy one! He does those Iron Man competitions and I figured he'd just want me to diet and exercise more. Totally surprised me.

My pcp is amazing. She was the one who recommended the place where I got the surgery. She was so supportive and loving that I feel completely taken care of. I've been having a lot of emotional issues and she's helped me a lot.

My PCP had NO IDEA how to even start the process for me! I did all the research for him...and then was turned down by my insurance! I am self paying in TJ in April. Told my PCP and he was indifferent.