Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I advised my PCP roughly about the first part of December that I'd made the to get the VSG, he hesitated and asked me to make and appointment with his office so that we can discuss it.

*My annual exam was in Oct. On that day flat out told me I need to loose some weight.

So, yesterday I went in for the appointment. Thinking ahead I scheduled it as WLS consultation just in case. l dont know know if BCBS will require them but I want to be as proactive as possible.

PCP: ....so you want to loose some weight huh?

Me: yes. Didn't you also suggest it a few months ago?

PCP: You'll have to change your lifestyle a lot. Have you see a dietitian?

Me: Yes I have several times, she says my eating habits aren't the worst she'd seen. She feels like I will be fine once I get the weight off.

PCP: Well.....I going to prescribe you 2 diet pills and something to work on bringing down your Triglycerides.

Me: Are those the same pills you gave me 4 years ago that did nothing for me?

PCP: **blank stare**

Me: My WLS surgeon also told me that I am Hypertensive, do you have a prescription for that as well?

PCP: **blank stare** The nurse will take care of those for you.

All I could think is WOW! It was beyond me that he would rather commit me to a lifetime of medication to correct a problem that I have already found my fix for. You didn't even bother to see if I had taken the medication previously or what the out come was. At no point did he offer any guidance or additional information on the WLS procedure. I am praying that I don't have to go back ever! Needless to say after this is all said and done I will be looking for a new PCP.

Oh my! Yep... Time to find a new pcp!!

You need one that will listen to you and be supportive!!

It sounds like you are very smart and know what you need to do... FOR YOU!!!

Good luck on your journey!!

Ugh.. I feel you! I once went to a PCP and I was really concerned about my weight as I was 360 pounds and gaining. I tried to talk to him about it and he looked at my blood work and he told me I'm the picture of health and that losing weight was optional, if I really wanted to do it..... A month later I visited an endocrinologist who said my thyroid, cortisol, progesterone and estrogen were all a disaster. Yeah, I never went back to that PCP again!

Thanks ladies. I was simply in awe! I am still rather upset about it all.

So' date=' I advised my PCP roughly about the first part of December that I'd made the to get the VSG, he hesitated and asked me to make and appointment with his office so that we can discuss it.

*My annual exam was in Oct. On that day flat out told me I need to loose some weight.

So, yesterday I went in for the appointment. Thinking ahead I scheduled it as WLS consultation just in case. l dont know know if BCBS will require them but I want to be as proactive as possible.

PCP: ....so you want to loose some weight huh?

Me: yes. Didn't you also suggest it a few months ago?

PCP: You'll have to change your lifestyle a lot. Have you see a dietitian?

Me: Yes I have several times, she says my eating habits aren't the worst she'd seen. She feels like I will be fine once I get the weight off.

PCP: Well.....I going to prescribe you 2 diet pills and something to work on bringing down your Triglycerides.

Me: Are those the same pills you gave me 4 years ago that did nothing for me?

PCP: **blank stare**

Me: My WLS surgeon also told me that I am Hypertensive, do you have a prescription for that as well?

PCP: **blank stare** The nurse will take care of those for you.

All I could think is WOW! It was beyond me that he would rather commit me to a lifetime of medication to correct a problem that I have already found my fix for. You didn't even bother to see if I had taken the medication previously or what the out come was. At no point did he offer any guidance or additional information on the WLS procedure. I am praying that I don't have to go back ever! Needless to say after this is all said and done I will be looking for a new PCP.[/quote']

Omg I can so relate. My former PCP threw me out of his office because I needed him to refer me to a dietician and psychiatrist so I fufill the requirements for surgery (he was against me having WLS). Needless to say I never saw him again after that.

Thats crazy... Fill you full of pills is not the answer. You are wanting surgery so you can loose weight and be accountable! The pill way is all too common and a temporary fix... Your trying for longterm and getting healthy, not pills!!

Guess I am lucky, my PCP actually suggested it and helped with the research on the surg.

My belief is, "practicing" medicine is an extreme lucrative career as long as your patients need you. In most of instances after the surgery not only do you eliminate off of most of the medications.....PCP needed services are needed far and few between.

Lucky you Peppy! Mine is officially a QUACK!

I didn't tell my PCP until after I had my sleeve. BUT he was all on board and started figuring out how we were going to get me off the meds. I was pretty shocked, but he's been a good guy since I started seeing him. Now my endocrinologists is another story. He just kept prescribing more and more and I just couldn't take it anymore. That's what get me started on the road to WLS. Now I fax my sugar tests to the PCP every two weeks and his nurse calls me with the plan of action. Hang in there, there are good Drs. I was lucky, but I know that there are more out there.

omg i've changed PCPs so many times before i found a good one. Most of them are very indifferent, i remember one of my doctors just telling me "you need to lose weight you're probably going to get diabetes and die in your forties" and then sending me off. what a noob, thats the thing about doctors, i think most of them only know how to prescribe a pill.

So there are plans that don't require you to visit your PCP for 3 months or a dietitian for 3 or 6 months! My surgeon never said I had to do either but reading all the forums/blogs, there seems to be a common theme....

I'll be done with all of my appointments by 1/14. I hope to schedule surgery soon after.

omg i've changed PCPs so many times before i found a good one. Most of them are very indifferent, i remember one of my doctors just telling me "you need to lose weight you're probably going to get diabetes and die in your forties" and then sending me off. what a noob, thats the thing about doctors, i think most of them only know how to prescribe a pill.

I agree, I lost both parents to co-morbities. Mom at 54 and Dad at 57. My Mom had her first stroke at 40...sad enough my PCP knows all of this!

My old pcp was crazy! I went to her and told her i was starting the process and she was going to have to write a letter of approval and she basically point blank said she wouldnt. She wanted me to keep a food journal and come see her every 2 weeks for 6 months and then decide if i needed surgery. I've been there and done that, tried every diet under the sun. Safe to say i didn't go back 2 weeks later, I found a new pcp that wants me to have the surgery done by march at the latest!

My old pcp was crazy! I went to her and told her i was starting the process and she was going to have to write a letter of approval and she basically point blank said she wouldnt. She wanted me to keep a food journal and come see her every 2 weeks for 6 months and then decide if i needed surgery. I've been there and done that' date=' tried every diet under the sun. Safe to say i didn't go back 2 weeks later, I found a new pcp that wants me to have the surgery done by march at the latest![/quote']

Oh wow...i think its official, some of these pcps are a little kooky lol