Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't nor do I intend to tell anyone. Some people are very judgmental and others are just jealous you're doing something they would never have the courage to do themselves. My ego and attitude simply don't require the approval of other's so I think I can handle all the questions after the weight starts coming off. Ill just tell them none of you business.

Hi everyone. I am brand new to the board and this is my first post. I went to the free weight loss seminar this past week and have started the process to get sleeved. I have tried so many things from diet and exercise to phentermine and nothing worked long term.

My question...did you tell people when you were going through the process to get approved and when you actually had the surgery or did you keep it private? I am torn...I want to tell some people' date=' but on the other hand I just want to keep quiet about it.[/quote']

I have only told a select few, some people dont know how to be happy for u

I am on the last month of my six month pre-op period. I have told three close friends and my mom. I had two friend attend a monthly support group with me and they enjoyed it. I tend to be a private person and I don't know that I will tell many other. Once I get approval I will most likely tell my boss as we are fairly close. However, I work in an office with about 4 women and 40 men so I am guessing I will stop with her.

Congrats for starting to explore!

I started this exact same topic a few weeks ago... I also didnt want to tell anyone at first. I just didnt want the judgements & gossip being talked about me. But after seeing everyones posts on my thread, I kinda changed my mind. Im still not going to be like telling everyone I know or posting about it on Facebook, but now I feel like its nothing really to be embarrassed of...

I just think that with losing so much weight so rapidly, people are going to know somethings up. And I would rather them know the truth than thinking I started doing drugs or something else crazy. LOL. Thats when rumors will start! I am just going to tell my close friends and people who would be "concerned" if they see me losing so much weight. If anyone else asks, depending on who it is, I will probably tell them.

Overall, its up to you in who you feel comfortable telling.

I was an open book from the beginning. I told all of my family and friends. However I did not post it on Facebook.

People are starting to ask how I lost the weight and I always tell them.I am shocked how many people say they have had it or are asking questions about having it done themselves.

Just do whatever you are comfortable with.

I have a friend who several months ago lost significant amount of weight. It was a known fact she had lapband HOWEVER when I would ask her how she has lost it she would lie. Keep in mind we are close enough friends I could ask her in sincerety wanting advice for my health my self. I resent the fact she lies to me making me believe she lost it by just cutting out bread and cokes. I use my weight loss as a teaching tool for others. I do not post on fb either but if someone says wow you look great and they are asking me and I know its because they need help advice also..I.share my story. I might have listened to her story months ago and not waited!!! I do tell people who ask this is just a tool for me to change my lifestyle...not a miracle worker!!!

I would have told everyone but my husband is a very private person and prefers not to share things like that. Add in an ex-wife that tries to count our pennies for us so she can get more out of us, and I can kind of understand.

I told my family because I tell them everything. Now that I'm so much farther out from surgery most people do know but his parents still do not. It's fine with me but seems silly at times because it's obvious I lost a great deal of weight and it's obvious I cannot eat much any more. But with time anything can become normal, so to them this is just normal Cheri behavior now.

It's up to you. I see posts all the time where people regret telling people outside their intimate circle of friends and family, because knowing does tend to make people think they have license to criticize, offer unwanted opinions and babysit your eating habits as well as your progress. It's nice to have cheerleaders but not so nice to have a team of people micromanaging your weight loss surgery.

Good luck,

~Cheri

You guys are all amazing! I am so glad this group. For now, I will keep it to myself. I agree that sharing is good when it will help someone else who is struggling like I am now. And except my husband an kids, none of my family will know until later. My mom cries when I tell her stuff and my sisters are lovable flakes. So, best to stay private.

Hi everyone. I am brand new to the board and this is my first post. I went to the free weight loss seminar this past week and have started the process to get sleeved. I have tried so many things from diet and exercise to phentermine and nothing worked long term.

My question...did you tell people when you were going through the process to get approved and when you actually had the surgery or did you keep it private? I am torn...I want to tell some people' date=' but on the other hand I just want to keep quiet about it.[/quote']

I am a pretty private person, but I am also not ashamed of myself and proud of the decision I made to become a better me. I do not go around telling everyone I had the surgery, but if asked I proudly answer yes I did and it was the best decision I ever made. I feel it is better to show the confidence in myself and no regrets then to reveal any shame. Also, if my experience can help someone else then I am all for it.

I am a pretty private person' date=' but I am also not ashamed of myself and proud of the decision I made to become a better me. I do not go around telling everyone I had the surgery, but if asked I proudly answer yes I did and it was the best decision I ever made. I feel it is better to show the confidence in myself and no regrets then to reveal any shame. Also, if my experience can help someone else then I am all for it.[/quote']

I forgot to add, I did tell close family and friends of course for the support you will need during the process. The emotional stuff is real and something that doesn't really get discussed much. I had a reality check myself and I can tell you having my family here for me has been a godsend!