Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liver damage after wls ?

So I have a friend who has a friend who had weightloss surgery and she wasnt suppose to drink post op but now she has liver damage she went to the hospital and they told her they will try dialysis if that don't work she will go home on hospice ( sad ) now I don't kno what kinda of wls I don't kno her age how much she drank post op um etc this is all the facts I kno about the lady I don't even kno her name my Q to you all are have you heard if something like this it saddens me to hear what's shes going through

It sounds like she swapped food for alcohol. WLS should have no negative impact on your liver. Sad.

They highly caution people against alcohol after WLS for this very reason. Because of a tiny stomach, we are now hyper sensitive to alcohol. Clearly we also have issues with addiction, hence the need for WLS in the first place. She most likely traded one addiction for the other. This is part of the reason that they make you do all the psych tests/interview prior and ask you about alcohol use prior to surgery. Very sad story.

I just found out the women was concern about in this thread I just learned that see died a week after I wrote this it was very sad to me I could not believe it

She likely had a duoadel switch or a gastric bypass, both of which change how your bodies process alcohol. The sleeve does not do so. Size of stomach isn't an issue, it's how it's processed through. We don't lose function with this surgery.

she may have had some liver damage BEFORE surgery...obesity is sometimes the cause of liver cirrhosis

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18987273

http://calorielab.com/news/2008/11/22/fatty-liver-obesity/