Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If I don't drink Protein Shakes I will not lose weight? Im on my fourth week and at a stall. I know this is typical but I can't get any Protein shakes down! Haven't been able to since post op. I eat protein tuna, turkey, cheese and in very very small portions but im afraid im not gonna lose weight because of this... Anyone else further down the road had this situation?? Im so nervous I am ruining my chances here =/

The reason people drink the shakes is because of the Protein count. it's easier to get down 11 oz of shake that has like 15grams of protein in it than it is to eat foods that contain 15 grams of protein. We just can't eat all that food and still make our protein goal, esp in the beginning. If you can get it in without the shakes, go for it. They're just more convenient, that's all!

So the actual liquid doesn't increase the weight loss? I just don't want to be the one person that doesnt lose because I can't do the Protein Shakes

i agree. you dont HAVE to drink the shakes, it is just an easy way to get a good portion of your Protein in. something i also do, is bake things with the powder used to make shakes. i add the powder to a lot of things, and most of the time, it isn't noticible by taste, but it adds a good amount of protein.

So the actual liquid doesn't increase the weight loss? I just don't want to be the one person that doesnt lose because I can't do the Protein shakes

It adds to your liquids for the day, so make sure you are still getting your liquids in. Replace whatever amount of shake you would drink with Water, juice, tea, etc....

I haven't had my surgery yet but my doctor doesn't recommend Protein Shakes at all. They want us to get our Protein from food and for extra protein we can use powdered milk. So I don't think you need the protein shakes if you are getting enough protein from your food.

Did your doctor not discuss this with you prior to your surgery? My surgeon had us try a number of different Protein drinks BEFORE surgery to make sure we could tolerate it, and that we liked it. Did you not know you needed to do this prior to surgery?

I don't know about the previous user's advice, especially kristikay's doctor not recommending Protein Drinks. That is insane. You must have the Protein in order to heal properly. Your stomach will not heal quickly or properly if you are not taking iin protein. Your hair will thin, your nails wil not grow and become weak, you will not have the energy to exercise or even function without a MINIMUM of 65 gr. protein daily. You cannot get enough protein from food. You stomach is not big enough.

You really must try to find a protein that you like. There are so many different products out there! Have you tried mixing powders with milk? Most taste like chocolate milk! Are you lactose intolerant? Have you tried both whey Protein Isolate and Soy Protein Isolate? If you can't tolerate skim milk with protein powders, try them with Water. Try freezing them after mixing. So people like them a bit slushy. There are so many choices, please keep trying to find one!!

Finally, have you discussed this with your doctor? Protein is probably the singular most important issue! You must find a solution, and quick!

Ya I actually did three weeks of Protein Shakes prior to surgery and they were great its post op they've bothered me. Ive bought so many different ones, mixed them different ways, tried them cold and room temp they just give me a terrible stomach ache. I found a lighter premade one that I can somewhat tolerate just today but still feet quite a stomach ache ... My doctor said it will take time to tolerate things. I can have pretty much any food on my list without any kind of problems but the shakes are though. Same with milk as far as liquids go Water is the only thing that doesn't bother me...

Your not the only one I'm almost a month out and i can tolerate them right now either. My NUT told me that it's really hard to get the amount of Protein needed within the first month or two. It's just a goal and when you can eat more of a soft food meal it should become a lot easier

False. If Protein shakes were the answer to all, then you would not have needed VSG surgery. I couldn't gag down the thick Protein Shakes either, I used clear Protein Isopure from GNC. Not cheap nor were they delicious but it kept me in ketosis the first couple of months. A bottle a day (I drank throughout the day) would provide me with 40gm of protein. I couldn't eat enough to get in my needed nutrients those first few months.

Get in your supplements. Watch your protein count, carbs, sugars, calories and Water intake. Don't go into starvation mode by eating too little of calories. Don't eat too many carbs (some people are hyper carb sensitive...I am one of those so over 30gm and my weight loss slowed dramatically.) Find your sweet spot (balance) that works for you. There is no magic one formula that works for all of us. Sorry you are struggling. Stick to plan. Do you have a specific VSG diet plan?

You should be around 70 gm of protien a day, 64oz of caffine free liquids, keep sugars & carbs low with calories around a minimum of 750 a day. Try this for two weeks, and be vigilant not cheating and see if this helps.

I don't drink the Protein shakes either.... I got enough of them the first few weeks of post op... I think if I drank one now, I'd gag! I'm down 40lbs since 11-5. I agree w everyone posting... Eat your Protein & drink tons of water!

Cooking With Protein powder

I have recently had many comments on various youtube vidoes I have posted concerning Protein Powder and cooking with it. There are various sites that will claim that by cooking with protein powder, the powder will lose some of its nutritional value.

I had read the research, but thought I would contact a protein powder company just to see their response.

Thank you for contacting us, but no worries on cooking with protein powder, because of the quality of the protein. You will still retain full nutritional value, and as far as slowing on the digestion process, it is minimal.

whey protein powder contains virtually all non-denatured protein. However, exposing protein to extreme temperature (hot or cold) will denature the protein to a certain degree. For example, heating whey protein to temperatures above 140 degrees F (60 degrees C) results in denaturation. For this reason, cooking or baking with DP denatures the protein. In addition, repeated freezing and thawing of a protein solution can result in deanaturation, but simply exposing the powder to low temperatures does not cause denaturation. This does not mean that the amount of the protein is diminished. Denaturation can affect biological value (bioavilability) and may slow the digestion and absorption of the protein. Regardless, denatured protein still retains full nutritional value with regard to amino acid composition. And whey protein powder is a good source of all essential and non-essential amino acids; therefore, even if it is denatured, it is still a very high quality protein source. Also, all Proteins are denatured when cooked (e.g., eggs, meat, soy, etc.). Hope this helps and we wish you all the best.

I follow a gal on Facebook that has learned she is lactose and gluten intolerant since surgery so instead of using whey powder, she uses soy. Have you tried that? I know we need whey, but if your body can't handle it....