Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was always in denial about my weight unfortunately and all my friends were too which didn't help! I had always been a *little* bigger/heavier than everybody else my age (I'm 25 now). But because it was only a little I never worried about it. I stayed below 165 throughout my undergrad (although I went in at 130!). It also didn't help that I've always been the smallest in my family - most of my cousins were 200-400. It wasn't until I gained almost 30 pounds in my first year of grad school resulting in stretch marks on my belly that I realized I was farther gone than I'd wanted to be! I've never been able to lose weight (even after a 4-month long summer veggie/protein kick where I ran 7-10km a day 5-6 days a week, rode horses, worked a physically demanding job and did resistance training.. I was 165 at the beginning of the summer and 165 at the end). Anyways! When I gained what I call my "grad school belly" I started eating healthier to slow the gain and exercised more, but I know I'd need more help than that! I booked a self pay surgery as fast as I could from the day I discovered my stretch marks. I was sleeved about a month later on December 18 2012!

I weighed in 2 weeks later and was down 10.2 pounds from my pre-OP of 185.6 pounds and feeling so much better about how I looked! I was surprised at how much I lost in my face (my face fat is my least favourite!). I'm trying not to jump on the scale too much for fear of discouragement so I'm weighing in every 2 weeks.

I'm a little sick (sore throat) and nauseous today which is my first hiccup since 2 days post OP... I really can't keep anything down so I'm not getting Protein and feeling really tired!

My goal weight is 130 although I'd love to get down to 125. I'm 5'4.

For exercise, I start work at the horse farm where I now live tomorrow! Mucking stalls is great for the core, although ill be taking it easy because I'm still in recovery! I will also be riding their horses which is great cardio. I predict ill be doing both mucking (1.5 hours/day) and riding (1-2 hours/day) about 4-7 days a week averaging 5. I also have a very energetic dog I need to keep busy with walks!

I'm most excited to fit into my jeans! (I never bought fat clothes - just wore track pants all the time!) ... I'm getting close to fitting into my 31 inch jeans... And then I want them to be baggy!

I'm also excited to look good on a horse again! I used to be the average rider and now I'm a "bigger" rider and that bothers me. And I'm excited to run again! I've been so unfit since the start of the summer I couldn't run 1km let alone my usual 7-10!

I'm so glad I found this resource! I have found some great tips about getting enough protein (which I'm having troubles with... In fact I'm having troubles drinking enough period. I am only taking in 160-300 calories a day of rote in shakes and it's not enough I don't think!) I'm excited to be able to eat solid foods! I think my first day ill be going out for one sushi roll! No more all you can eat for me!

Oh! And I don't have a date that I want to reach my goal, because it's a lot of pressure and I really have no idea what to expect (I'm even leery of reaching my goal ever; since I've never lost weight before!) what do you guys think? Within a year for 45-50 more pounds sound realistic? I'm hoping to be down 30 total by springtime! I can't believe there's a possibility of me being down to 150 - let alone 130!!!! I just can't wait!

Sorry for the novel!

Ps I was self pay in Mexico!

Just wanted to add pictures (I hope they worked!) the white shirt pics are the day before surgery and the other two are 2 weeks post! Seems to me like more than ten pounds, which is why I'm so encouraged so far!

post-47120-13813661908661_thumb.jpg

post-47120-13813661909425_thumb.jpg

post-47120-13813661910186_thumb.jpg

post-47120-13813661910912_thumb.jpg

Just wanted to add pictures (I hope they worked!) the white shirt pics are the day before surgery and the other two are 2 weeks post! Seems to me like more than ten pounds' date=' which is why I'm so encouraged so far![/quote']

You look good. What did your dr say about mucking stalls, etc when you are only starting week 3 of post-op? I know about mucking and I don't think my doc would approve of it until the end of January (6 weeks post op). Even though you are low BMI, you still had the same cuts made as the rest of us.

I won't be mucking much till end of January. Ill mainly be walking horses to and from their fields while I recover (the people I live with know about the surgery and my restrictions).

I'm afraid ill have a hard time staying off the horses though, but ill try my best!

You should be down 50-60 pounds in 2months after surgery. Please remember you have to et Protein in for the weight loss to work. If you don't get the protein in the weight loss will stall and start to lose hair.drink Protein Shakes chicken fish what ever protein you can to maximize the weight loss

You should be down 50-60 pounds in 2months after surgery. Please remember you have to et Protein in for the weight loss to work. If you don't get the Protein in the weight loss will stall and start to lose hair.drink protein shakes chicken fish what ever protein you can to maximize the weight loss

If you are a low BMI, I think you should get feedback from low BMI-ers. Not sure if you will lose as fast as a high BMI-er.

Thanks so much every body! I am drinking a Protein shake as I type! It's tough but I really have to get it in me sometime today!

I agree I don't think ill be losing as quickly as most people do because of my BMI.

I hope losing weight helps my BP! Has anyone else found wls helped their hypertension? When I was 22 and 160-ish I was 155/125 and rejected for life insurance! But whenever I went to my doc it was much lower 130/90, so she told me to lose weight before I start treatment. I wonder if getting down to 125 or 130 will help... My mom and my grandmother both have hypertension along with all my aunts on my moms side :S I feel like it's more of a genetics and salt thing?

My bmi when I started November 15 2012 was 38

The first 30 days I was down 34 pounds . Looking forward to jan 15 to weigh in again and see where I'm at

Protein is the biggest key I try to eat 80 grams a day and drink 2gallons of Water it takes me all day to do it

I'll be two months post op tomorrow. Prior to the surgery I was taking three pills for bp, I now have a normal bp taking no pills. I also got rid of my cpap machine. I am down 78# since September and down 50 since surgery.

I'm only 49 days pre op I'm down 49 pounds and lovin it every day looking a mirror.

The best thing I did was took pictures the day I started my cleanse . When I see the pictures they do say 1000 words wow over and over. I would also recommend do your measurements just in case you think your in a stall. You will become more active and start gaining muscle the pounds may not drop off but your inches will be dropping.

I will follow up again on jan 15th. I'm looking forward to be heading south to viva Las Vegas jan 20.

Started at 273

Bmi 38-39

30 days dec15 239 pounds -34

49 days jan 4 224 pounds -49

I would also like to thank dr Fernando Garcia and his awesome team at mi-hospital again for the amazing treatment I received and all the support. The worlds best in my eyes everything done perfect .

Just wanted to add pictures (I hope they worked!) the white shirt pics are the day before surgery and the other two are 2 weeks post! Seems to me like more than ten pounds' date=' which is why I'm so encouraged so far![/quote']

Awedome progress!! U look great!

Congrats