Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am exactly one week post op. I have lost 15 pounds so far but sometimes I stay hungry even after I've eatn what I am supposed to. Ive heard people say they had to set an alarm to remember to eat because they didn't want anythingl. Has anybody else experienced this hunger? What do I do?

Thanks,

DedraLynn

I am exactly one week post op. I have lost 15 pounds so far but sometimes I stay hungry even after I've eatn what I am supposed to. Ive heard people say they had to set an alarm to remember to eat because they didn't want anythingl. Has anybody else experienced this hunger? What do I do?

Thanks' date='

DedraLynn[/quote']

Is it hunger? Or are you thirsty? Your body doesn't know the difference. Try drinking some Water and wait 15 minutes and see if it passes. GOOD LUCK!

Many people experience this. Thirst and stomach acid both can feel exactly like hunger after surgery. Also, many people suffer from head hunger for those first 2-3 weeks. It definitely feels like real hunger....complete with stomach growling. It will fade in a week or 2. You should be on an acid reducer, that may help. Keep drinking lots of Water, it will get easier.

i had my surgery on the 28 of december and i am starving it started yesterday..... I feel like i want to eat some food. I have not but the liquid diet is insane and its crazy to describe.... I have severe hunger pains but have not given in. I thought i was crzy but i see im not. Tomorrow will make a week and i have 2 weeks to go on the liquid diet. God help me.... i feel like im doing something wrong and i am not drinking enough because it just started yesterday. My stomach growls, churns, make all these weird noises all day. Thank Goodness im home but its crazy I am hoping someone can give us advice to take the hunger pains away from the stomach.... i dont feel head hunger just stomach hunger and its like y arent u feeding me!!! :( and my incisions are killing me its miserable i try to walk but i feel like im overdoing it so i sit longer than i should

i had my surgery on the 28 of december and i am starving it started yesterday..... I feel like i want to eat some food. I have not but the liquid diet is insane and its crazy to describe.... I have severe hunger pains but have not given in. I thought i was crzy but i see im not. Tomorrow will make a week and i have 2 weeks to go on the liquid diet. God help me.... i feel like im doing something wrong and i am not drinking enough because it just started yesterday. My stomach growls' date=' churns, make all these weird noises all day. Thank Goodness im home but its crazy I am hoping someone can give us advice to take the hunger pains away from the stomach.... i dont feel head hunger just stomach hunger and its like y arent u feeding me!!! :( and my incisions are killing me its miserable i try to walk but i feel like im overdoing it so i sit longer than i should[/quote']

Just to clarify, head hunger means you feel hungry but you're really not. You feel it in your stomach, not your head. It feels just like the real thing. No one can tell the difference. The way you know the difference is...if your sleeve is full because you just ate or drank, you know it's not real. Your sleeve will not hold much at all....if it's full, you can't really be hungry. You have to out think these false feelings your head is sending you. And all that stomach rumbling is normal, but it's not necessarily hunger. I'm 8 months out and my stomach still makes crazy noises all the time. Things are different now. Feelings of hunger, satiety, thirst, acid pain...they are all different now. This is part of the learning process, to learn to identify these new signals.

Butterbean,

God bless you because i was beginning to think i had stretched my pouch for all the Water and Protein shakes and everything was just going thru and all this ooing gurgling churning growling in my lower stomach was bothering me and making me think im starving.... I look at food but have no desire to eat but i want the hunger pains to stop.... i know and realize this is a process..... i go back for my 2 week post-op next thursday. I am optimistic and want the sleeve to work and havent given up but i just thought its odd after 5-6 day post op my stomach is sounding like a grizzly bear on steriods(LOL) thanks again and i now i know im not alone!!! I have weighed myself 1 time since i came home sunday... i am down 7 1bs i have decided to not become a slave to the scale.... i am going by how my clothes that use to be snug and tight feel on me to notice any looseness and i tried on a shirt and it wasnt as snug :D on monday. Then my world fell apart because i became extremely constipated for 2 days it was literally hell!!!! I finally had a bm wednesday at 4am then the hunger pains and noises started and im still having them but as you stated earlier that should subside just have to go thru the process.... Thanks again for the tips and encouragement

Be Blessed

TD

Something to think about too.....we are not accustomed to feeling hunger very often so it is unfamiliar and uncomfortable.

My surgeon recommends in his planning manual to learn to go to bed hungry.

He also says that nothing happens to you when you get hungry.

It takes practice but the more you work with yourself on adjusting to hunger pangs, the less sensitive you will be to them.

When I felt hunger off and on during the first month I thought that the world was going to come to an end. It drove me crazy! Now I ignore it and get busy doing something and it does not present a huge challenge or effort. It took practice and I'm really glad that I worked with myself on this. I also still take a PPI 2x daily.

I have "head hunger" too, but it does pass pretty quickly. I just sip more Water, or if desperate I sip a couple teaspoons strained Soup.

I am exactly 1 wk post op an FINALLY had my first BM. Thank goodness- that was a welcome blessing! Lol!

I thought head hunger is that your thinking about food and want food, but your not really hungry.....Now I'm confused as to which is correct....

Thanks so much! All these replies are very helpful :)

I too have had this and I am 5 weeks out. Drinking Fluid helps but it seems like it comes back within the hour. I always feel like I am hungry, instead of eating food I will tr an ice pop or a sugar free fudge pop.