Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!

Need some help. I am suffering from bone spur pain. I can hardly walk, my surgeon is not available now. A doc told me that since I've had sleeve surgery, I can only take Tylenol....which is as helpful as my Crystal Light! lol

Which pain meds are approved post op?

Thanks!

What medicine do you take for it?

There are many approved but it would be easier to just know what works for you and I'll check my list.

A doc told you no pain meds? That's bull. I was taking my oxycodone extended release the night after my surgery. And Percocet was approved. You can ask for liquid tylonel w codeine. What do you usually take?

Generally, most any of the over the counter pain meds are fine with the sleeve, though some docs (both bariatric surgeons and general docs,) are still stuck in the RNY paradigm of Tylenol only. The sleeve doesn't have the physiological shortcomings of the RNY that limits the use of NSAIDs (ibuprofin, naproxen, etc.) and other stomach irritating medications, though with our smaller stomachs, some care should be used with NSAIDs and generally a PPI should be taken with them. I have yet to run into an experienced sleeve/DS surgeon who doesn't allow NSAID use post-op, and while some may limit their use during the initial healing phase, that too, is far from universal - my doc recommends NSAIDs for pain relief as necessary as soon as the usual prescription narcotic meds are exhausted, and that comes from some twenty years of sleeve/DS practice.

I had pain medication in the hospital post op, but since I've been home, nothing...thank God I haven't needed anything. I'm a Naproxen fan, well I was before surgery, when I had back pain, etc. I went to the ER, I guess the Doc there is inexperienced with sleeve patients and afraid to cause me any problems.

Thanks so much everyone! You've given me hope that tomorrow I can get some REAL meds to end my suffering.

What medicine do you take for it?

There are many approved but it would be easier to just know what works for you and I'll check my list.

Is there a list online? I live overseas and we have meds from allover the world; Germany, France, US and Middle East, etc....I'd have to look up chemical names not market names.

You can not have naproxen. Unfortunately non steroids anti inflammatory drugs. NSAID's can cause bleeding and ulcers in our sleeves. You can have acetaminophen and other drugs.

I'm pretty familiar with chemical names if you want to list them.

You can have opiate/codiene based narcotics as long as they are not compounds with NSAID's