Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New guy here, you've GOT to read this!

You look AMAZING!!!! This is so motivating. Don't stop posting - even though you've reached goal. We all want to follow your maintenance too.

Great advise BigFrank, and congrats, you look fabulous! Did you find it hard getting thru the first holiday??

Hi Baseball Mom, no, my first holiday was Christmas, 4 days after I was sleeved. I stayed home from after surgery pain. New Years Eve kind of sucked because of no drinking or eating but I STILL have not drank yet, over a year now. I am not worried about Thanksgiving, i will eat "light" then work out hard the next day. if i gain a pound or so it will be gone a day or two later.

You have done great Frank!

I think you need a new screenname!

I'm glad this thread was resurrected!

What a great inspiration, Big Frank. Thanks for sharing (even it if was last year!).

I wish you continued success!!!!!!

I have really been going back and forth as whether to post here or not. I guess I am sort of a "forum person" in my hobbies and areas of interest, but I have to be honest, I have avoided posting on this site or even looking at it for a couple of reasons. I found this site only a few days before my surgery but when I found it I found more negativity and frightened people then I found inspiration. Actually, I have gone here and gotten the (bleep) scared out of me by a few posters, every time I see their posts I get knots in my stomach. The main poster that does that to me has a screen name that starts with the letter "i". Everybody is terrified of leaks and all the negatives of this surgery and I just haven't been able to relate to many of the topics. Below I will share some of the basics of my journey so far.

First off, I am a 35 year old male who is 6 feet 3 inches tall. I wasn't fat my whole life, I actually weighed 218 when I was 19 years old. That was pretty close to a "perfect" weight for me. I got into a business where the guys I worked with partied, ate, and drank to excess. Over the years I ballooned to 445 lbs which is where I have been for the past 2-3 years. In 2010 I was considering the lap band but chickened out. I was back on in 2011 but chickened out again. In 2012 I HAD to make a decision because I was put on Metformin for borderline diabetes and Lisinopril for borderline blood pressure as well. That was it. I started again with the nutritionist appointments and made an appt. to see my surgeon who is located downtown Chicago a few miles from my house. My first appt. with him was in early October 2012 and he suggested a VSG instead of the lap band because of the large amount of weight I wanted to lose. I left thinking about it and did the rest of my pre op requirements such as upper GI, psyche, EKG, etc. I saw my surgeon again on November 14th, 2012 and we decided on the VSG (which I really didn't know a lot about). We set surgery for December 21st, 2012.

Because I am a big fella, my surgeon put me on a 28 day pre op liquid only diet (to shrink my liver and loosen my skin) which I started on November 23rd, 2012 (the day after Thanksgiving). The first few days were tough but I have very strong will power and stuck to it, following the requirements to the letter. I didn't cheat even once. Again, not even once. After about 12 days it was smooth sailing and I just plugged away and kept up the exercise plan that I had been doing for over a year which was just walking 1.5 miles, three times per week at my local YMCA. I didn't weigh myself even once the entire plan and weighed myself the morning of surgery. To my astonishment I lost a staggering 49 lbs!!!!I I couldn't even believe it, to be honest with you I began to sob like a little girl! I went from 445 to 396. I was just so shocked. My surgeon told me that I broke his practice record which was previously 45 lbs for a pre op diet. Again, I LOST 49 LBS IN 28 DAYS!!!

On the morning of December 21st, 2012 I was ready for surgery at a major hospital downtown Chicago. I arrived, valet parked, checked in, and was laying on the table prepped for surgery within 1 hour just waiting for the anesthesiologist. I was in surgery about an hour and a half later and the surgery took 2 1/2 hours. I am going to cut the details of my hospital stay down so readers aren't sitting here all day reading. Any questions just ask me. I wanted to leave the hospital the next evening but my surgeon said that he wouldn't allow me to break two records and that I should stay another night. Quick recap, I was checked into my room after surgery at 6pm Friday night and was discharged from the hospital at 11am Sunday morning, less then 48 hours after entering my room.

Upon arriving home I checked my weight, expecting to have lost a few lbs, and actually gained back 2 lbs due to all the fluids that were pumped into me. I was back up to 398. My recovery went ok I think, I was in a lot of pain along my largest incision which is about 3+ inches wide. I was on Tramadol which sucks. It took me 9 days to finish the 25 pills that I was prescribed since I was skipping doses. I was home on Sunday morning and by Wednesday morning I was off to the YMCA where I walked only one lap around the track. I limped around and talked to my friends there before going home. I was back at the YMCA on Friday and actually walked 5 laps (a half mile). I finally weighed myself on Friday, one week after surgery, and I was down from 398 to 391. I weighed myself again on Sunday afternoon and I lost another 4 lbs from Friday to Sunday, 9 lbs in 9 days, ending up at 387 lbs, 58 lbs down in 38 days.

So that's basically that. It's been over 10 days now since surgery and I am feeling like a million bucks. Here are the "scary" parts. I am using the term scary because after reading this site I would have thought I was going to die from this surgery. I HAVE NOT been nauseous even for one second since surgery. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOT thrown up, or even gagged for that matter, not even once. I AM ABLE to drink 60ozs of Fluid per day. I just started puree on Saturday, 8 days out, and it's been perfect. I had 4 ozs of low fat cottage cheese (which I LOVE) today as well as only one Protein shake, a bowl of Tomato Soup, and plenty of Water. I AM NOT hungry, EVER. I just eat to live, that's it. Today I feel the best that I have felt since surgery. Every day gets better. My goal is to lose 220 lbs, 100 in three months from the start of my pre op diet on November 23rd. I WILL do it.

I know I left out a bunch so fire away (or ask any questions that you want).

Thank you Frank, I know many people come on here and make it a bit scary for people like me too. I'm happy you spoke your mind and also congrats on your lost. :)

Thank you frank for posting this. I know it was awhile ago but it just popped up in my feed. I almost cancelled my surgery also. A lot of people at my bariactric center won't even step on to this site. They said it terrifies them! I'm excited for my surgery! I can't wait to start losing for once in my life!

I just wanted to drop in after exactly six months of mantience and tell everyone that I am the EXACT weight I was when I last posted on 11/26. I had only one instance where I went up 5 pounds but after 3-4 days of going back to the basics I was fine. Eating smartly and continuous excercise is the key. I still work out (2 miles running PLUS weightlifting) 3-4 days per week. When I think back to where I was at in the beginning of this thread it seems like a lifetime ago. For all you new people, read this and you CAN do it. I was reminded of my MONUMENTAL success the other day when I went to buy some shorts a week ago at Old Navy. The summer cargo shorts I wore two summers ago were size 54. I just bought a size 34, the smallest since about junior year in high school.

For a quick recap, I was 445 on the start of my liquid diet on 11/21/2012. Exactly ONE year later I was 223. Read the previous posts for every detail!

Me then, me NOW!

post-169783-0-54648500-1398528000_thumb.jpg

post-169783-0-51520800-1398528084_thumb.jpg

Hello, (notso)BigFrank. After reading all 28 pages of your awesome post, I wanted to congratulate you on your successful journey and thank you for all the advice and encouragement. I am still in in pre-op stage and you've eased my mind about several concerns I had.

You mentioned that you had very poor support before and after surgery. I live in Wichita, Kansas and there is only one program available here but it's excellent. It includes a free orientation seminar, but also REQUIRES 8 hours of healthy lifestyle classes (over 4 weeks) and then 8 hours of pre-op educational classes (also over 4 weeks). Plus, there is a weekly post-op class that is absolutely FREE for as long as you want to attend. They keep saying the surgery is only a tool and that all this education is vital and I do believe they are right! I hope it only adds to my successful journey :)

Thanks again and hope to see you on here again!

quick recap, 445 on the start of my liquid diet on 11/21/2012. Exactly ONE year later I was 223. me then, me NOW!

@@BigFrank

wow

you look cool, nice and shiny in my favorite color of red!!!! :)

oh no, wait a minute, thats the car!!!! :lol:

you have worked so hard :rolleyes:

continue to enjoy your healthier, happier, longer life :)

keep up the good work with maintennance for the rest of this year, and next year, and....... ;)

kathy

congrats :)

Edited by proudgrammy

I have really been going back and forth as whether to post here or not. I guess I am sort of a "forum person" in my hobbies and areas of interest, but I have to be honest, I have avoided posting on this site or even looking at it for a couple of reasons. I found this site only a few days before my surgery but when I found it I found more negativity and frightened people then I found inspiration. Actually, I have gone here and gotten the (bleep) scared out of me by a few posters, every time I see their posts I get knots in my stomach. The main poster that does that to me has a screen name that starts with the letter "i". Everybody is terrified of leaks and all the negatives of this surgery and I just haven't been able to relate to many of the topics. Below I will share some of the basics of my journey so far.

First off, I am a 35 year old male who is 6 feet 3 inches tall. I wasn't fat my whole life, I actually weighed 218 when I was 19 years old. That was pretty close to a "perfect" weight for me. I got into a business where the guys I worked with partied, ate, and drank to excess. Over the years I ballooned to 445 lbs which is where I have been for the past 2-3 years. In 2010 I was considering the lap band but chickened out. I was back on in 2011 but chickened out again. In 2012 I HAD to make a decision because I was put on Metformin for borderline diabetes and Lisinopril for borderline blood pressure as well. That was it. I started again with the nutritionist appointments and made an appt. to see my surgeon who is located downtown Chicago a few miles from my house. My first appt. with him was in early October 2012 and he suggested a VSG instead of the lap band because of the large amount of weight I wanted to lose. I left thinking about it and did the rest of my pre op requirements such as upper GI, psyche, EKG, etc. I saw my surgeon again on November 14th, 2012 and we decided on the VSG (which I really didn't know a lot about). We set surgery for December 21st, 2012.

Because I am a big fella, my surgeon put me on a 28 day pre op liquid only diet (to shrink my liver and loosen my skin) which I started on November 23rd, 2012 (the day after Thanksgiving). The first few days were tough but I have very strong will power and stuck to it, following the requirements to the letter. I didn't cheat even once. Again, not even once. After about 12 days it was smooth sailing and I just plugged away and kept up the exercise plan that I had been doing for over a year which was just walking 1.5 miles, three times per week at my local YMCA. I didn't weigh myself even once the entire plan and weighed myself the morning of surgery. To my astonishment I lost a staggering 49 lbs!!!!I I couldn't even believe it, to be honest with you I began to sob like a little girl! I went from 445 to 396. I was just so shocked. My surgeon told me that I broke his practice record which was previously 45 lbs for a pre op diet. Again, I LOST 49 LBS IN 28 DAYS!!!

On the morning of December 21st, 2012 I was ready for surgery at a major hospital downtown Chicago. I arrived, valet parked, checked in, and was laying on the table prepped for surgery within 1 hour just waiting for the anesthesiologist. I was in surgery about an hour and a half later and the surgery took 2 1/2 hours. I am going to cut the details of my hospital stay down so readers aren't sitting here all day reading. Any questions just ask me. I wanted to leave the hospital the next evening but my surgeon said that he wouldn't allow me to break two records and that I should stay another night. Quick recap, I was checked into my room after surgery at 6pm Friday night and was discharged from the hospital at 11am Sunday morning, less then 48 hours after entering my room.

Upon arriving home I checked my weight, expecting to have lost a few lbs, and actually gained back 2 lbs due to all the fluids that were pumped into me. I was back up to 398. My recovery went ok I think, I was in a lot of pain along my largest incision which is about 3+ inches wide. I was on Tramadol which sucks. It took me 9 days to finish the 25 pills that I was prescribed since I was skipping doses. I was home on Sunday morning and by Wednesday morning I was off to the YMCA where I walked only one lap around the track. I limped around and talked to my friends there before going home. I was back at the YMCA on Friday and actually walked 5 laps (a half mile). I finally weighed myself on Friday, one week after surgery, and I was down from 398 to 391. I weighed myself again on Sunday afternoon and I lost another 4 lbs from Friday to Sunday, 9 lbs in 9 days, ending up at 387 lbs, 58 lbs down in 38 days.

So that's basically that. It's been over 10 days now since surgery and I am feeling like a million bucks. Here are the "scary" parts. I am using the term scary because after reading this site I would have thought I was going to die from this surgery. I HAVE NOT been nauseous even for one second since surgery. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOT thrown up, or even gagged for that matter, not even once. I AM ABLE to drink 60ozs of Fluid per day. I just started puree on Saturday, 8 days out, and it's been perfect. I had 4 ozs of low fat cottage cheese (which I LOVE) today as well as only one Protein shake, a bowl of Tomato Soup, and plenty of Water. I AM NOT hungry, EVER. I just eat to live, that's it. Today I feel the best that I have felt since surgery. Every day gets better. My goal is to lose 220 lbs, 100 in three months from the start of my pre op diet on November 23rd. I WILL do it.

Frank, thank you SO much for your post! I am getting sleeved next week, May 8th, and already being nervous about the unknown, reading your post has REALLY calmed me!

You're right; I've read some posts that make me want to call my Surgeon, and tell him, "our relationship is over", and just back out of the entire process!

I understand some people have complications after surgery, but to list every detail is a bit much! Again, thank you, and know that your post has helped me tremendously!

So that's basically that. It's been over 10 days now since surgery and I am feeling like a million bucks. Here are the "scary" parts. I am using the term scary because after reading this site I would have thought I was going to die from this surgery. I HAVE NOT been nauseous even for one second since surgery. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOT thrown up, or even gagged for that matter, not even once. I AM ABLE to drink 60ozs of Fluid per day. I just started puree on Saturday, 8 days out, and it's been perfect. I had 4 ozs of low fat cottage cheese (which I LOVE) today as well as only one Protein Shake, a bowl of Tomato Soup, and plenty of Water. I AM NOT hungry, EVER. I just eat to live, that's it. Today I feel the best that I have felt since surgery. Every day gets better. My goal is to lose 220 lbs, 100 in three months from the start of my pre op diet on November 23rd. I WILL do it.

Frank, thank you SO much for your post! I am getting sleeved next week, May 8th, and already being nervous about the unknown, reading your post has REALLY calmed me!

You're right; I've read some posts that make me want to call my Surgeon, and tell him, "our relationship is over", and just back out of the entire process!

I understand some people have complications after surgery, but to list every detail is a bit much! Again, thank you, and know that your post has helped me tremendously!

I so needed this. I think to much "reading up" can end up creating more anxiety rather than less. THANK YOU!

Hi, for the new people going through their journey, I just wanted to drop by again and say that I am just shy of 10 months into maintenance (1 year and 10 months since I was sleeved), and I am still going GREAT. I will admit that I have gained back 5 pounds which bothers me, but who knows, I weight lift 4 days per week PLUS run 2 miles, some of it could be muscle gain. I have a TOTALLY different life style and my exercise which I have been addicted to for over a year now is my life blood for staying fit. My old life seems so long ago that I can hardly remember it. I am working on a career goal right now that I could have NEVER in a million even considered when I was fat. Time will tell where that goes, but for now keep fighting the fight and get sleeved, it will be the best thing you have ever done!