Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New guy here, you've GOT to read this!

I respect how you feel, but I believe bougie size DOES make a difference. I see NO harm is asking someone what their surgeon used.

No need to be a "bougie police"... we all have different experiences and questions-- have you seen the post-op diets? Surgeons are all over the place with that, they do not all agree. Some say alcohol, some say no eating for 4 weeks, some say eat a week later- its depends.

It may or may not matter, I don't know for sure. Mine is a 32 and after several months of reading everything I could find, I knew I had two requirements in my physician.

1) I would only go to a doctor/facility that had the Center Of Excellence stamp of approval

2) Bougie size no larger than 34

It was not difficult to find that. I narrowed it down to Dr. Davidson and Dr. Nicolson, both in Dallas.

The bariatric nurse I had a lot of contact with at Dr. Davidson's office was a revision patient. She'd had gotten her sleeve 7 years prior to me with a different physician. She said it had been fine tuned a lot since then, hers was a size 36 and she thought patients with a smaller bougie were more successful. She said in her vast experience, patients with a 32 or 34 seemed to have an easier time reaching goal. She did add that there were a few doctors that she dealt with that frequently used a 31 and there was a higher pecentage of complecations with those patients. It's been easy greasy for me. No problems before and none since surgery. It isn't a magic bullet, but it sure makes making wise choices much easier.

LOL, this is so crazy......I have never even heard of this "bougie" thing until it came up yesterday in this post.

Now you've heard everything you didn't even know you might want to know all crammed into one thread! LoL

We are here to serve! :D

Glad you had a good experience! I'm so thankful I had the surgery at 65 on nov 12th! Off many of my meds. Mine was 4 in one... Nonfunctioning gallbladder removed, hiatal hernia repaired, Scar tissue removed and sleeve! Heart test was fine and I'm down 50 pounds!! Keep up the excellent attitude!!

Glad to read your story! I was sleeved on February 15, 2013 by Dr. Joya in Mexico. It was a positive experience all the way around and I had similar experiences regarding hospital stay etc. I was so scared having read all of the posts I was a wreck! Went in, had my tests, surgery was completed in about two hours. Aside from IV pain meds while in the hospital I never took anything else. I went back to the hotel after my leak test and had a follow up visit at the hotel were I was released to travel back tot the states. Dr. Joya was wonderful and the hospital was amazing-state of the art. Dr. Joya's staff was also knowledgable and made themselves available whenever I had questions.

I've not had any issues with liquids, pain (aside from normal stuff) or any complications. I will say the high blood pressure meds caused me serious problems. I was also on Lisinopril prior to my surgery and I was told to continue with it by my PCP when I returned. Three days later i ended up in the ER because i was so dizzy, confused and out of breath. Initially they thought heart attack and then a blood clot so they ran every test under the sun. When i suggested it may be my blood pressure meds because i had already lost weight no one paid any attention. they sent me home with pain meds which i wasn't going to take. I called my PCP and they took me off the meds and i felt better the next day. The ER doctor missed it but once it was cleared up I bounced back quickly. I hope to have as successful a story as you.

I lost 7 pounds on my pre-surgery diet and to date have lost an additional 25 pounds so 32 pounds in three weeks. I have stopped losing so quickly and it's going slower but I'm still excited. Thanks again for the positive story.

LOL' date=' this is so crazy......I have never even heard of this "bougie" thing until it came up yesterday in this post.[/quote']

I think "will power" and "commitment" to a lifestyle change have a bigger impact. The bougie is a guide.

Amanda Rae

Thanks for the great response! Gubbie617, I am still amazed at the "miracle" aspect of the sleeve. On the last day of my hospital stay (day 2) the general medicine doctor came in and told me that my blood sugar and blood pressure were completely normal. Again, this was within 48 hours of surgery!! I stopped my Lisinopryl right then and there but my PCP told me to stay on the Metformin until he saw me a month later. I did and when he checked my Hemoglobin AIC it went from 6.1 I believe in October 2012 to 5.3 in January 2013 which resulted in my "official" removal off of those pills. Just amazing. And Amanda Rae......ABSOLUTELY true.

Glad you had a good experience! I'm so thankful I had the surgery at 65 on nov 12th! Off many of my meds. Mine was 4 in one... Nonfunctioning gallbladder removed' date=' hiatal hernia repaired, Scar tissue removed and sleeve! Heart test was fine and I'm down 50 pounds!! Keep up the excellent attitude!![/quote']

Very impressive!!!

Thanks for the great response! Gubbie617' date=' I am still amazed at the "miracle" aspect of the sleeve. On the last day of my hospital stay (day 2) the general medicine doctor came in and told me that my blood sugar and blood pressure were completely normal. Again, this was within 48 hours of surgery!! I stopped my Lisinopryl right then and there but my PCP told me to stay on the Metformin until he saw me a month later. I did and when he checked my Hemoglobin AIC it went from 6.1 I believe in October 2012 to 5.3 in January 2013 which resulted in my "official" removal off of those pills. Just amazing. And Amanda Rae......ABSOLUTELY true.[/quote']

Im being sleeved on march 26 but my doc didn't do a liquid diet with me. I'm hoping I can get off my blood pressure meds and metaformin by summer. As far as mentally hungry-I'll need to work on that. If I were able to control the mental hunger I wouldn't need this surgery. Thanks for your posts.

Well, today was the day that I hit 150 lbs lost! (445 lbs to 295 lbs) It has been a total of 5 1/2 months since I started my liquid diet (11/23/2012), 4 1/2 months since I was sleeved (12/23/2012). I went to my PCP this past Thursday and he did a full work up on me. He told me I am amazingly healthy. My Hemoglobin A1C went from 6.4 at my highest (I was on Metformin) to 4.2. My cholesterol went from about 200 to 146, and my blood pressure went from 150/100 to 120/74 (I used to be on Lisinopryl). All of my Vitamin levels (B12, Calcium, Vitamin D, etc.) are absolutely perfect. My pant size went from 52-54 to 40 and my shirts from 5XLT to 3XL. I feel like I can run a marathon every single day, my energy level is literally off the charts. I can absolutely say that getting the sleeve has not only saved my life, but has made me happier then I think I have EVER boon. I'm not kidding, this is the BEST thing that I have EVER done. There's not much more I could say that I already haven't said, but again, for those looking into getting the sleeve and are on the fence, just do it already. Stop wasting good years of your life.

post-47935-1381366536255_thumb.jpg

post-47935-13813665362949_thumb.jpg

post-47935-13813665364315_thumb.jpg

post-47935-13813665365684_thumb.jpg

Super great job!! You are setting a good example for others. Keep up the great work!

Congratulations! Such an inspiration. Keep up the great work.

that is awesome! Congratulations!!

Thanks for the great response! Gubbie617, I am still amazed at the "miracle" aspect of the sleeve. On the last day of my hospital stay (day 2) the general medicine doctor came in and told me that my blood sugar and blood pressure were completely normal. Again, this was within 48 hours of surgery!! I stopped my Lisinopryl right then and there but my PCP told me to stay on the Metformin until he saw me a month later. I did and when he checked my Hemoglobin AIC it went from 6.1 I believe in October 2012 to 5.3 in January 2013 which resulted in my "official" removal off of those pills. Just amazing. And Amanda Rae......ABSOLUTELY true.

Wow! You look great! Congrats!!!