Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband or Bypass?

Hi everyone. I've done my preliminary requirements and just have to pick out my surgery date. Before I do that I need to decide whether I want the lapband or the Rouen-Y bypass. My doctor is Dr. Abkin. He gave his opinion but he won't decide for me. His opinion was that because I am 388 lbs at 5'4" that the bypass would be the best choice in that the weight loss is fast and predictable. I have many concerns about the bypass though and would prefer to have the lapband. I like the idea of a slower weightloss as well as the fact that the band doesn't require the reworking of your innards.

I'm wondering how the 300+ prebanders are doing after their band and/or would love to hear from anyone with an opinion.

Thanks everyone.

Virginia

I would say do what you want to do Virginia. Especially if you can afford to have RNY if the band doesn't give you the results you want. For me the lapband was my only choice, I just didn't want the open surgery and the drastic changes to my guts. The band is working for me so far!! Im happy with my choice. The thing is, if you try the band and it dosn't work right for ya you can switch to RNY, but if you go RNY, well theres no going back if you regret it. I mean that can be looked at as a positive or a negetive depending on your own personal feelings. good luck to you in whatever you decide!

Virginia,

The lap band is less invasive. No re-routing, no mal-absorption. If it were me I would go with the lap-band first. What do you have to lose (other than a little excess weight). If you do not get the results you want with the lap-band, then go for the RNY.

Just my opinion. Actually the RNY scares me. (I am a real chicken) But believe me, If my health depended on me loosing weight and the lap-band didn't work for me. I would then consider the RNY.

Good Luck in your decision,

Teri

Hi Virginia, the answers you will get here are all going to be biased towards the Bands, since that is what we all chose.

My husband last lost over 200 pounds so far, he started at 600 pounds when he was banded. Friday he was able to put one a 2X sweat shirt... When he started he was wearing 6X...

In this thread http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16168 you will find folks who are all starting with a BMI of over 50. That might be a good place for you to start looking.

Even though I cannot lose weight due to a brain tumor, if I'd had RNY, I'd still have the brain tumor and I would still not be able to lose weight. My tumor was not found until after I was banded. Because I was not losing weight I demanded answers why.

I am encouraged that your surgeon is not pushing you in either direction, even if that makes it more difficult for you.

One of the things that you will notice that is missing here... We don't have a memorial board.

Hi Virginia,

I'm also a patient of Dr. Abkin's and started out more than three years ago at 340 lbs. (You might have seen me at a preop meeting; I speak at them frequently.) For my money, the bypass is an absolute LAST RESORT, and I'm thrilled with the results my band has helped me achieve.

My goals have always revolved around improved health, nothing more. The risks inherent in RNY seemed too great for me to take, considering my two small children. It makes better medical sense to me to start with the least invasive thing possible if it will help with the problem, and it's helped with the problem in spades. I've lost more than 120 lbs and it's staying off with realistic amounts of effort. Prior to banding this was an impossible dream, but it's real and I live it every day.

Hi, I had the band placed in sept of 2004. I am about to have my band removed because of erosion. I had initially lost 96 pounds, but after eroding have gained some back. Just so you know, I don't regret banding at all. Even though I am having a serious complication and having my band out soon, I am still glad I went this route first.

I have the option at this point of having a second band put in, or go with something more permanent and invasive. I am still researching and considering my options. At this point I am still very hesitant to go the more invasive route, but it's something I have to give some thought to.

If I reband, and re-erode, I still have that option. If I do nothing I'm sure I'll regain probably all I've lost, and maybe more. If I go more invasive and it doesn't work I have no other route to take. I guess I'm in a place similar to your's... what to do... what to do...

I know several people who were 400+ and one has reached goal and the other ihas about 50's to go. They are true inspirations and have had no problems which I can't say for many of the RNYers I know. They've been in the hospital multiple times, etc. One of the reasons I got the lapband and believe me I've had no problems either.

We have one of each in our house. My DH has the RNY bypass. He was 411 and is now 6yrs out and 270. He was an open procedure who got home and broke the suture line and everything fell out and had to be put back in. He has had NO COMPLICATIONS SINCE!!

He says daily he would do it all over again even with the inital bumpy road. He admits he would NOT be a good bandster!! He drinks diet coke, eats candy and truly needs the malabsorptive component of the bypass. AND YES IT IS REVERSIBLE!! Not a simple take it out, but if some drastic event occurred necessitating reversal they could reverse it. For him bypass was the best choice.

I did not get a choice since I barely made the band criteria. I do worry about the complications (erosion and slippage) of the band and if I have any of them I will have my band converted to some other WLS to keep the weight off that I loose. Im too new into this to sing the glories of the band, so far so good!! I feel like this will be the right choice for me.

Each of us has to make our own decision- you know you best.

The surgeons are biased because they see more failures than we do. They want you to be successful and to them that is to take the margin of error (human overeating) out of the equasion and do the bypass. Good Luck in whatever you decide!! Feel free to PM me and I can get you in touch with DH and you can discuss his choice with him.

You have to decide for yourself, of course. I would like to share this insight I recently had, tho. A friend of mine got a bypass 6 months ago. He has done great and has lost 125 lbs so far. Two years ago, I got a band and I just hit -100. My point is that during the last two years, there were times I THOUGHT I wished I had gotten the bypass. After seeing my friend, I was SO glad I got the band. I realized that while is whipping me in lbs lost, I am MILES ahead in keeping my weight off (I think) because I've had time to work on the head issues that got me fat in the first place. I truly believe that without the time to do the head work, I would have lost a lot of weight and I would have been one of the bypass people who gain it back! I'm convinced of that! I have lost slowly and believe I will keep this weight off. I am changing my thoughts, behaviors, and working on why I eat what I do! I work out 1-2 hours every day; my friend plans to "start exercising" soon. Even his doc told him he would gain it back without changing behaviors. I am working slowly into the mindset of what I need to change for a healthy future, a future where I have kept the weight off for good this time. It took me 40 years to get fat; I am allowing myself a few years to reverse those thinking patterns. It's not been easy. At times, when I didn't lose, I was banging my head against the wall. However, I am seeing everything differently after seeing my friend! You might just think of this perspective as it applies to you. Good luck in your decision! I'm glad you're going to do one or the other!!!

Rose:clap2:

Hi there...

I was 300+ when I started my process. I had my surgery in Feb '06. I've done pretty good.

I chose the lapband because its the only wls that can be reversed. I kept getting a foreboding about the gastric bypass so I believe it was the Lord letting me know I shouldn't have the bypass.

This is my opinion. For some the bypass has worked wonders. One thing that really put my decision on the lapband though was the fact that if the pouch stretches, then the band can be tightened and you can keep losing weight.:biggrin1:

My doctor and I 'had the talk', and he recommended the Rouen-Y for me also (this is a highly recommended doctor). He based his recommendation on a few factors:

1. I'm young and healthy (besides the obvious 297 lbs!) So, I can tolerate the surgery (no complications like diabetes,etc.)

2. I need a life-change; he says the band has a lifespan of about 15 yrs, and then it needs to be removed/replaced. At my age, that would mean several replacements, to manage my weight.

In my research I found that the Rouen-Y has been around, and studied for something like 60yrs, and that is part of why the insurance does cover it... it's what they know. So, even though there are risks (like with all surgeries) they are still relatively low.

You have to ask a lot of questions (look for forums with recommended questions to ask your surgeon), and make a decision based on what you feel comfortable with.

*** Keep in mind, it can also be done laparoscopically too. My surgeon is going to do mine through the same type 'portals' as he uses for LapBanding. There won't be big scars, or a 'grand opening' of me! LOL. He said that usually only occurs when the person is over a certain size or complications.

Don't worry... ask more questions. All the best!

rharriet62,

I couldn't agree more. I think we all have 'issues' that got us to where we are... that is why I'm seriously considering therapy along with my surgery. I've been once already, and she was great. She specializes in weight-loss issues, and she gave me a lot of things to look forward to/ and to look out for. I just wish more people had the resources/ insurance to cover the therapy/maintainence part of our journey. Especially because of the addiction issues that often arise....

Edited by MintyMew

MintyMew,

I'm one of those that have had some problems in the weight department, meaning I gained back what I lost prior to surgery, 25 lbs. It's been a very frustrating road for me trying to get things working right.

I chose this surgery over RNY because I was afraid and have had issues eating around the band ever since because I had been too tight or not tight enough. I can't say I definitely would have been more successful with the RNY because I don't know for sure but my GP wanted me to have it and I kind of convinced all my docs that I could do the lap band even though I didn't know what I was in for.

I thought the only difference was that I would lose weight at a slower pace and I was fine with that but what I didn't realize is that the foods that were considered "junk foods" went right through the band and the healthy ones were the ones you had to work on to chew and could only eat so much of like Proteins and veg and fruit. So if I was frustrated from only being able to eat a tbs of Protein I knew I could eat a cookie I would. It's not like the band kept me from changing any bad behaviors I had before I was banded. They tell you to avoid those foods but really only tell you that the high caloric drinks are the ones that will make you gain weight.

My 19 year old daughter is having the RNY this coming Tuesday and I'm really proud of her because she's done so well so far and has lost about 35+ in the past 6 weeks on her liquid diet. I am nervous because because she is my baby and because I wish she didn't have to go through all of this in the first place but for her own happiness and sanity it's a choice she has made and I'm supporting her decision.

At my age and with yo yo dieting for years and a bad sweet tooth anyway it probably wasn't the right choice for me. I may never get down to a healthy weight again, it's just something I may have to accept because of my struggles. There maybe some other contributing factors to this failure of mine but for now it's neither here nor there and I have to deal with what I've chosen and how I behave.

Anyway take everything into consideration before you make such a life changing decision. I'm not very popular because I have somewhat regretted my banding and this is a place where people want to support each others success with the band and that's understandable. No one wants to hear something bad about something they really are passionate about and has changed their lives for the better!

There could be problems with weight gains with any of the surgeries so don't think only one type has those issues, read as much as you can. There's a good book out there that I bought for my daughter called "Weight Loss For Dummies" and she read it and enjoyed it and learned a lot from it. It doesn't cover much on the lap band though so take that into consideration.

Anyway good luck with your decision I know it's not an easy one but if someone could stopped me and told me I'd totally screw this up prior to surgery I may have thought twice. Take care brandyII:smile:

the first 2 years with the lapband were a breeze. no trouble. now i cant seem to get my fills just right. im taking out all my fill . if i had to do over id do the same thing. but it hasnt always been easy. hope you can make the right choice for you and your lifestyle.