Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

when will i get the hang of this

So every now and then i get this pain in my stomach (not abdomen) and when i eat it feels better. So i figured it was hunger pain. Well now i feel like i am getting hungry more often. But then, i started thinking, what if it isnt hunger? When will i get to know my new stomach?

This may seem random but try taking an acid reducer and see if that relieves the feeling. Have heard a lot of ppl say that often lots of acid can replicate the symptoms of hunger. Your stomach may feel better after eating due to the fact that there is now food in there to absorb/soothe the extra acid. Worth a shot!

I know exactly what you mean I was sleeved Dec 13th and find I need to eat a little about evey three hours. I was not put on an acid blocker medicine. Not sure is eveyone? I can't explain the feeling. Still on puree foods have not had nausea or any throwing up. Thankful for that. I cannot get all the Water in?Really not thrilled with pushing so many fluids I still seem to have some edema in my ankles by the end of the day.

Everyone should be on a PPI after surgery, but some doctors do not do this for some reason. A PPI makes a HUGE difference in how we feel and really does stop the confusing signals we can get from too much acid in our tiny new sleeves.

The groaning and gurgling of an overly acidic stomach is exactly and I mean EXACTLY the same as a hungry, rumbling tummy prior to surgery. It is very easy, even for vets like myself, to forget this fact and eat when we shouldn't be eating, or to feel "hungry" when we aren't hungry at all. I was on a PPI (omeprazole, I just bought OTC) for about 4-6 months post op, but recently had to start taking it again daily now that I'm pregnant. I spent a whole two weeks wondering why I felt like I was starving all day long even when I was eating plenty of food, and suffering heartburn in the evenings. You'd think I would know better at this point! But as soon as I got on my generic Prilosec again the "hunger" went away and the heartburn did, too. Now I'm far more comfortable and not snacking around the clock.

It takes a while to read the new cues. I don't feel real hunger any more. I get an empty feeling, instead, usually aided by checking the clock and realizing I have managed to skip a meal. Feeling full isn't what it used to be. It's a runny nose or a tight feeling in the chest that tells me I'm at my limit. And yes, the acid thing is also something we need to learn.

It's normal. Pay attention to your body and stay within the new limits you learn and you'll eventually adjust and be fine. Outside of this pregnancy, life with a sleeve is now my normal life and I don't usually have any problems knowing how much I can eat or when I'm actually hungry. At some point you get used to the new normal and it isn't confusing any more.

Good luck,

~Cheri

Thanks click I really think I will try that.I have heard that it will help the sleeve heal faster? I just want to be on less medicine not more, can't hardly get it all in now!Congrats on the baby!!

I am on omeprozol. I called and they told me to take it 2x a day now and see if that works!

Is that a prescription? Is Prilosec otc? Thanks again for the information!

I was on prescription antacid. Helped a lot the first few days of surgery and then I stopped taking it because my sister (who is a nurse) said that you can't stay on them indefinitely because prolonged usage can neutralize your stomach acid permanently and cause other types of digestion problems. That being said, this morning I took another pill because I could not get rid of the burning feeling in my throat.

I was given prilosec. My sister doesn't know if pepcid works on the same "reactors" as prilosec. She is a nurse. She says some things can lead to the same "relief" but through different channels.

H2 receptors react with pepcid. Parietal cells react with prilosec. That's the difference, but they are used in a similar way (for similar reasons). Not sure why some doctors prefer one over the other. My sister says that none of these products (including Nexium) were designed for long-term use. If stomach acid is permanently reduced, it can't kill the HARMFUL bacteria that it was meant to kill...leading to other GI problems. Unfortunately, our mother is permanently on Nexium because every time she comes off it, she has reflux. So, my sister knows that some people use these drugs "forever," but we should all be cautious. If you are feeling better, try a day without taking them. Also, while I took a prilosec this morning after more than 7 days of not taking it, I was also eating a few tums in between. I thought the tums helped a little, but I didn't need 10 of them, either.

My doctor did not prescribe anything! I think I will take a tums here and there. trying to get of meds not take more...... Great imput did any of your doctors say it would help heal the sleeve?

I don't think these prescription antacids "heal" the sleeve. What I think they do is basically make life more tolerable if you have any acid reflux. I have never had acid reflux BEFORE surgery, but I certainly have felt it post-surgery. Based on the numerous threads I have read, it would seem that acid-issues are a common problem for sleevers.

It takes the body a while to learn to produce less acid than our much reduced stomach needs, and the PPI helps relieve the discomfort during that phase. For the vast majority, the need to take a PPI is temporary and will resolve itself within a few months to a year post op.

Tums will help address the symptoms of the acid production. But Tums will also prevent Iron absorption and should not be taken daily to resolve acid reflux. Only a PPI such as Prilosec, Protonix (script), Nexium, etc. is going to address the cause of the discomfort.

Oh, and in case anyone stumbles across this thread, many people do not report relief while taking Prevacid. I had to change from Nexium to Prevacid and finally to Prilosec before I found what worked for me.

Tums will work if you have an occasional issue with acid. But if you experience heartburn more than a few times a week, a PPI is a far better option.

~Cheri