Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Comparing symptoms- painful bubble-like alien on the left side-help

Hi All~ This forum has been really helpful for me. Now I am having an "issue" & I wonder if anyone else can relate or help to ease my mind/worry level. I had sleeve surgery on December 17th. At the time they had to fix a hiatal hernia as well. Besides the regular after-effects, I feel like I've been plugging along in the healing process fine.... Until last night. Somewhere in the middle of the night I would turn over (to either side) & feel the worst pain on my left side. Almost like a huge bubble beginning at the bottom of my stomach & working its' way up to the top & "popping"-like? When it "popped" it hurts! This happened also after swallowing a large amount of saliva. By the time morning came, I broke down and cried quietly. Terrible night sleep! I take the prescribed antacid twice daily. Yesterday I know I did too much. I went to Sea World & battled the crowds. Then after I helped an elderly lady take care of her horse. I felt like I didn't lift over 25 lbs- but I'm a bad judge. All along I have been doing okay, but now I am very worried. Anyone else felt this??? I put a message into the surgeon & hopefully he will give me pointers. I don't want to take more pain meds- I stopped that as soon as I returned home, as I couldn't sleep well. And here I thought I was doing so well! : ( Any advice/insight, I'd appreciate. Love this forum and all you down to earth sleevers.

Thanks in advance~

I was given instructions, lift nothing over ten pounds for 6 weeks.

Ask your Dr and tell him your activities. I hope all goes well and your pain subsides quickly!!

Hi,

I was sleeved 12/19. My weight restriction of nothing over 10lbs was to last for three weeks. I also had hernia repair the same. Sounds like you might have over done it especially for some of those internal muscles etc that were cut maybe? I will say that I still have pain on the left side and stay very bubbly and gurgley feeling a great deal. I can feel things sort of roll around it seems when I turn over in bed also. Maybe things are just shifting and settling....hope you get a good report. Good luck.

My first advice would have been to call the doctor, so good for you there hun.

As to the weight restriction, mine was ten pounds for six weeks. That may be conservative, but I also never had pain like you are having from likely having done too much. And the horse...honey a quick jerk could do you a world of bad so try to avoid that type of activity for a while.

It really does sound like you overdid it and are suffering the consequences. The thing to do now is to really listen to your body. And your doctor :) If the pain gets worse, get your bumm into the doc. If you see fever (low or high) or have left arm pain, nausea, generally go downhill instead of getting better, get in and have a leak test just to be sure.

As to the pain pills...darling I hate the dang things! HATE THEM but when you have pain you should consider how much you can take. I personally would try to skip them during the day but use them at night so that you can get a good nights rest as rest is so important to healing. In addition, if the pain is affecting your ability to get in your nutrients or Water, than take them during the day, but feel free to cut the pill in half if you don't want the entire groggy feeling they might give you.

Nap frequently if you are in pain so you can rest your body as well.

Take care and maybe no more dolphin and horse shows for a bit huh????

Iggychic,

You crack me up! For sure, no more! I guess I shouldn't tell on myself even more by nearly falling at snow world holding my daughter's hand (phew) AND all the while having a service dog with us I was "jockeying" thru the crowds climbing to the top bleachers for shows.

I was feeling So good. But I didn't get in all my Protein and H2O either. The bubble pain was/is weird. Ooowie! And a huge wake up call, as I've been glued to my bed all day. Humbling to say the least. Thanks for all the insight.

LMAO you dork :P No more SNOW either heh heh

Are you feeling any better after resting a bit?

After I finally got out of the hospital I was so anxious to feel "good". It was hard to be so weak and frankly useless after being super mom :P I didn't break any rules, but I did go for a walk one day (which I was allowed). Unfortunately I felt I should walk down town (I live in uptown). Between the end of that walk and home is a long steep hill which I thought I'd do fine on. After all my 70 year old mother can do it so why can't I? Girlfriend, I had to call a friend to take me home...we are talking a block to maybe a block and a half! I know what it's like to just feel like you're "good" again :) It's such a nice feeling...til it smacks you in the arse (tummy etc).

Take care of you and try to avoid the entire weather and animal kingdom for a bit heh heh

Thank you everyone. Today is a new day. I did not experience the same pain I did the night before last. Thank God.

The doc stated what you all said: to take it easy. I was told no more than 30 lbs in 3 weeks. I have been repeating that "rule" to my family, & thanks to you all~ the weight limit has been lowered. ;)

What a wake up call. If I can be an example, take head...& take it easy!

It's so hard when you are used to living your life a certain way. I'm a "do-er", care taker, I have a precious child with special-needs.

Well, now mom has her own special needs. This is the first time I've done something for me. I was so scared that I screwed it all up--by doing too much.

Luckily, I get another swing at this! I am not going to mess it up. Funny, yesterday I did n-o-t-h-i-n-g at all & my daughter was a bit upset w/ me. Finally, she talked to my mom & next thing you know she brought me a drink & took my temp.

Today, I'm aiming to get out of the house to go to lunch-but that's it!

I doubt I'll even tote my purse around... I'm such a cheap date anyway with my broth/soup!

Thanks everyone for your advice. I underestimate how much was done during this major surgery. Ignorance is bliss until you cry out in pain!

Cheers to healing!