Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Days Post Surgery and Trying to Adjust

Hello - My name is Sharon. I recently had surgery on 12/26/2012 so my journey is just beginning. This is my first full day home post surgery. I underwent revision surgery e.g. from a lapband to gastric sleeve. In a way I feel like a failure because I already had one WLS that didn't work for me; and now, here I go again with another one. If this doesn't work, I'll just give up. I'm 52 yo and sometimes think what does it matter if I'm overweight, who cares anymore because I'm getting older, BUT I care; so here I am again - praying that it works out the way I hope. Right now, I'm not feeling very good. I feel bloated, like something is pressing on me e.g. gas. I'm told it's my new stomach. I can't tell whether I'm suffering from gas or pain from the surgery, both feel uncomfortable. I'm having a terrible time getting my fluids in. Doctor's instructions say about 32 ounces a day, but I'm not making anything near that amount. I switch back and forth in the type of fluids I try to take in, but when that gassy feeling or pressing feeling comes on, it's so uncomfortable I stop. Mostly I spend my time in bed, wondering if this all will be worth it in the end. I desperately want to do better than I did with the band. I think when you have had one failed surgery, it's harder the 2nd time because you have all these doubts, PLUS, you are feeling awful the first few days post surgery. I could use all the words of encouragement I can get right now, especially knowing that what I'm experiencing is normal for my situation.

I was sleeved 11 -13 -12 and the first week is hard! As much as you don't want to, you need to get up and walk! It will make you feel better sooner. :)

The first few days are really horrid. The only liquid I could stand to drink was grape flavored crystal light. It took me about 10 days to get in the full amount of liquids needed. Now I'm working on getting both full amounts of Protein and liquids. All I can say is get plenty of rest, and use your pain meds. It will get easier!

Thank you. I've been walking around the house, slowly. I take the pain meds, which generally makes me sleep. I don't know if it's gas pains or pain from the surgery, but it is uncomfortable.

Walk ,walk, walk, and when you are tired of walking walk some more. That is the only way to get rid of the extra CO2 in your belly from the surgery. After I got out of the hospital I did start taking some gas-x to help with the gas in the tummy. Also, swallow when you are exhaling air helps to prevent swallowing air which can cause pressure. I did not know this last one until someone from the site told me. I started concentrating on that and the burping after swallowing has nearly disappeared. I am on the same journey as you, only a few days ahead. I was sleeved on 12/18/12. It does get easier. I was on pain meds up until christmas eve. Right now try to get as much Fluid into you as possible.

It's probably both! I thought because it was

Laparoscopic surgery it would be easy! Not so much :) I remember I felt kind of crappy until the third week.

Even if its uncomfortable, try getting up and walking around for 5 - 10 minutes every hour. That helps a LOT with getting rid of the gas, and it helps to get everything moving. YOu will heal faster - as crazy as that sounds. It gets better and quickly. Everyone heals differently so timing is different for everyone.

I felt sort of crummy the 4th day out, then from there on - its better every day (surgery was on 12/3).

Make sure you have Fluid with you wherever you are, on the couch, in a chair or in bed. Sip, sip , sip- tiny sips add up.

Keep us posted - we care. AND most importantly - you will do great - just follow your medical teams instructions. We're all rooting for you.

To make matters worse, I caught a cold a couple of days before surgery, so now I'm also dealing with sinus congestion, which actually got better while I was in hospital, but now at home, it's starting to be another problem to deal with. I have the humidifier going and I use my CPAP when I sleep, but add this on top of some shoulder pain that just started from sleeping on the same shoulder and to say I'm feeling horrible is an understatment. I'm sorry I sound so down, but this is my experience right now and I figure if anyone can relate they could assure me it does get better. Thanks all, I think i'll walk to the mailbox and check my mail. Then I'll try to take in some more fluids, just a couple of ounces it seems every hour or so. All this seems so strange.

I used a heating pad on my tummy and it really helped with the gas pain

I was sleeved on 12/27 and I went from the lap band to the sleeve too. I have been having gas pains too and my heating pad has been so much help. My doctor tried to tell me to go with the sleeve first because the band has so many problems, I'm Praying that this goes better for both of us. Good luck! I'm sure we will do great.

I highly recommend the Gas X strips....helps so much. Your shoulder pain could be from gas. Also I remember thinking this walk, walk, walk stuff is crap....but it wasnt. I stayed with my mom the first few weeks and I would get her up at midnight to go walk with me cause it helped me feel better...so walk walk walk. I still find it hard to get all my liquid and Protein in daily...but I'm now addicted to Sonic Ice...so if you have a Sonic...I recommend chomping thier ice...helps get that liquid in especially at the start. You can do it and its all going to get better!!

I was sleeved the same day and once the gas starts coming out it feels better! I even mae a post on how terrible ifelt. Also dont beat yourself up on how much you eat. I had about 1/8 of a cup of chickenbroth for Breakfast and have been sipping on watter and a Protein Shake since about 10:30. Your stomach is swollen, just do what you can. If you are peeing you arent dehydrated! Just dont stress your body out more than it already is!

Well today has been much better. I slept on and off all night, but woke up around 7am, my usual time. About midnight last night I ate a tsp full or two of sugar free pudding. I hate this sugar free stuff, always been a problem for me - but I did it. It felt good to eat something else except Water, broth and apple juice. It seems like I have little cups of all types of stuff sitting in the fridge, but still not getting all the required Fluid in, doing my best. I am peeing and don't feel dehydrated. Sometimes the mental picture of real food comes to mind, but I know better and wouldn't dare try it, I want this to work for me. Anyway, I also walked on my ellipitical machine for 10mins today, took a lot out of me, but was proud of myself. It is cold, wet and snowy outside and I'm still fighting a cold; so figured I would give the elliptical a try. One day at a time. I hope to continue speaking with many of you as the days go by.

I was sleeved on 12/27 and I went from the lap band to the sleeve too. I have been having gas pains too and my heating pad has been so much help. My doctor tried to tell me to go with the sleeve first because the band has so many problems, I'm Praying that this goes better for both of us. Good luck! I'm sure we will do great.

I wish my doc had told me about band problems from beginning - he actually recommended I get the band, which I did. I'm sure the problems were probably mentioned, but I think I was so excited about being able to have WLS that I didn't do enough research before deciding. I've been using the heating pad too and it's helped also. This time I did do a lot of the research, and I know that I've got to make changes regarding my eating habits for anything to work. In a way, the band provided good practice in terms of reigning in my eating habits, so hopefully the sleeve will help me get where I would like to be as a goal. Good luck to you as well.