Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much fluids are you able to take in at once?

I was sleeved a week ago today. I was told to drink 1 ounce every waking hour. I'm constantly drinking without pain. The only time I have discomfort is when I drink my Protein Shake. I need to be careful and drink slow. However, today I got a pint of Miso Soup and ate it straight through. Is that normal? No discomfort or pain. My brother in law, who was sleeved in May, told me that I need to be careful becuase I might stretch my stomach out....but wouldn't I feel that?

Thoughts?

I have my post-op appt tomorrow, but I wanted to see what you all think.

You will not stretch your sleeve. It's almost impossible!!! Please do not worry about that and especially when you are just fitting in fluids. The more fluids the better....your doing fine.

I am also a week out and I drink about 4 oz. an hour, and I'm just now getting to a full 64 oz. of liquid in a day. I just drink Water, and then of course my Protein Drinks, which is about 19 oz. for the 2.

You are doing well.

I was sleeved a week ago today. I was told to drink 1 ounce every waking hour. I'm constantly drinking without pain. The only time I have discomfort is when I drink my Protein shake. I need to be careful and drink slow. However' date=' today I got a pint of Miso Soup and ate it straight through. Is that normal? No discomfort or pain. My brother in law, who was sleeved in May, told me that I need to be careful becuase I might stretch my stomach out....but wouldn't I feel that?

Thoughts?

I have my post-op appt tomorrow, but I wanted to see what you all think.[/quote']

I think you sound normal. Miso is broth-like, so it goes down like Water. I am 11 days post op and I noticed today that I was able to drink/eat almost 2 cups of a milk-based soup in an hour. The Protein shakes are harder. I am also allowed small curd cottage cheese (which I am sure some of you are not allowed based on your doctor's instructions). I find it much, much, much harder to eat the cottage cheese. I have to chew the curds (even though they are small) before swallowing.

It also depends for me- Water or watery things go down fine, no discomfort, but the shakes, the cream Soups, and the greek yogurt sometimes I have that stuffed feeling after about 4-6 ounces. I was also worryng about "stretching it out" because I wasn't feeling much discomfort with liquids. That discomfort will come with our "real food" I think....:)

-Kendra

I'm 6months out and you will find that you can get more fluids down always ( Soup, Water ,drinks ,even ice cream) its the Protein ( meats ,eggs ,Protein Drinks ) that you become fuller faster! You'll see as time goes on everything gets easier! I still can only consume about 4 oz of meat...but gimme chocolate , I can eat a lot! So I stay away from those foods...75 pounds so far 30 more to go :)

I will be 1 wk post op tomorrow, and I still struggle to get all my Water in; I am avg 50 oz per day, but still trying to get that 64 oz. I am also trying not to gulp my water. I have been consuming skim milk, creamed Soups made with milk and add non fat powdered milk for the Protein. Plus I have yogurt smoothie/ Peanut Butter smoothie and no sugar added carnation instant Breakfast made with skim milk and non fat powderd milk added for protein (1/4 cup of each per serving, these recipes were given to me from the hospital/ nut). Goal is 60g of Protein per day. I feel content, but I have worried about stretching my pouch too....I have to remind myself that I am not consuming that much really.