Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I have to be on this DIET forever?

I 7-Days Post-Op. I know that I made this decision to be healthier. But I would like to hear from those further out if you have to eat low-sugar, no carbs, and the list goes on and on forever. Will I always have to eat diet food. I love to bake and NO SUGAR is driving me nuts. Maybe I am just have a breakdown today, but Please help me. Can I drink regular juice, can I have sweet tea with real sugar?

They only say no sugar due to the extra calories it brings. From what I hear, you can pretty much eat and drink anything your stomach can tolerate. Just be careful, or you will gain!

It gets better, don't despair! I can eat what I want but I get nauseous big time if I eat too much sugar or too much fried foods. I had two Peanut Butter Cookies with chunks of Peanut Butter cup the other day and was SICK. No vomit and no potty issues. I just felt horrible. I'm almost 10 months out.

Hang in there!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

the thing that you have to think about is that this surgery is it is only a tool. There will come a time, you can eat what you want, but ask yourself is it worth it. You let them cut you open and take out most of your stomach. Do you want things to go back the way they were? You can say..well its just a little bit...but really you don't want to go back to those old habits. I'm not preaching, but you have to look inside and make the changes you need to be healthy and stay that way. That's going to mean a change in the diet and the mindset. To make this work, you have to work it.

Hang in there and keep your eye on the prize.

It isn't a diet, it is a lifestyle choice. And yes, it will be forever. But you will begin to realize as time goes by that you do not want a lot of those things and they don't make you feel good. Your body teaches you. I tried chess pie during Christmas, and chocolate covered almonds and sugar free ice cream. At 12 weeks out. I was so sick that it was not worth it. And I LOVE these new lessons. This is not a diet. It is a new nutritional plan. It is a choice and it is wonderful.

Thanks to all of you! I don't want to be fat forever but I also want to be able to eat and drink real sugar. Of course I know that I won't be able to binge eat! But this diet food just doesn't taste good. Thank god I have not had any problems with anything I have ate. I will have to get a recipe book so I can get some new ideas. Again thanks to All of you I'm hungry wishing this liquid diet was over.

Hey buddy,

Healthier food doesn't have to suck! I promise.

Check out www.Emilybites.com

Www.bariatricfoodie.com

And

Www.dashingdish.com

Dashing dish has a recipe for a Breakfast cookie that is amazing!

And, if you like to bake, Emilybites will get you your fix.

I've lost 160 pounds since April this year. And I love to cook. And food is supposed to taste good. If it didn't, I wouldnt stick with it.

Good luck

As a sugar substitute I'd recommend you switch to liquid sucralose. Sucralose is what's in splenda, but in a liquid form it has no carbs. You say you love sweet tea (it is delicious, and now I'm craving some!) but as an example, a large McDonald's sweet tea has about 230 calories. That's about 1/3 of my total daily calories with no nutritional benefit at all. Made with sucralose it's every bit as sweet but has zero calories, which is much better for me.

Like everything in life, this is a choice. I don't "have" to eat any certain way. I can, at this point, eat pretty much whatever I want to, but I have a limited amount of food I can take in on any day and that means I have choices to make. You may be different than I am, but I know that for me, I didn't do this to go back to my old habits. My old habits were what made me an insane 383 pounds with joints that ached, high blood pressure, and an ass too fat to fit in 95% of the chairs I tried to sit in.

Like the poster said above, it's possible to have some REALLY good food and it will still be healthy food. One of the most important things I learned was now that I was eating less, I could afford to eat well, something that I had never really tried to do. Rather than having a pound of hamburger handy, I get a smaller cut of steak.

Don't judge the rest of this based on the first few weeks, which are terribly miserable. Focus instead on all the awesome things you'll get to do once the healing process is done :)

I never did fat free or sugar free anything. I never counted carbs. I did have a very modest weight loss goal. (170) easily maintaining!

I never did fat free or sugar free anything. I never counted carbs. I did have a very modest weight loss goal. (170) easily maintaining!

What was your highest weight Sleeve of Steel, if I may ask?

262 was my high weight. Lost 12 pounds in the pre-op process.... Sleeved at 250. I admit this thanksgiving/ Christmas season I did gain 5 pounds. I was well aware. I ate garbage though-- christmas Cookies. Eating my reasonable menu I easily maintain. (eating 1800-2000 cals a day, plently of veggies and protien- but not restricted highly) It is so much easier to regain control of your eating habits post sleeve. I will have these 5 pounds off in a month or so :-)

262 was my high weight. Lost 12 pounds in the pre-op process.... Sleeved at 250. I admit this thanksgiving/ Christmas season I did gain 5 pounds. I was well aware. I ate garbage though-- christmas Cookies. Eating my reasonable menu I easily maintain. (eating 1800-2000 cals a day' date=' plently of veggies and protien- but not restricted highly) It is so much easier to regain control of your eating habits post sleeve. I will have these 5 pounds off in a month or so :-)[/quote']

Cool... Was curious bc 170 is my goal. I was sleeved 12/3/12 & my highest was 257, 253 @ surgery date and i am now 238. 170 is still a high weight for my height, but I like my curves.

Cool... Was curious bc 170 is my goal. I was sleeved 12/3/12 & my highest was 257, 253 @ surgery date and i am now 238. 170 is still a high weight for my height, but I like my curves.

sounds very doable!! I like my curves too. Although this year my goal is to go for 165 :)

sounds very doable!! I like my curves too. Although this year my goal is to go for 165 :)

How long did it take u to reach goal?

8.5 months :)