Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bandster from Costa Rica

Hi, I had the Bio Enterics Lap Band Surgery in Monterrey, Mexico with Dr. Rumbaut about 5 years ago. I live in San Jose , Costa Rica; at that time they did not made the surgery down here, but they do now. I had lost 70 Lbs, I am know at 175 Lbs, and maintained that weigh until now. I had the band deflated totally, and in three months I gained 30 Lbs. I am adjusting the band back on Monday. My band works great with 2.3 c.c., but that varies on everybody.

Good to hear from a long term bandster, thanks for checking in Eric!

I am just beginning this journey and hope for good success like yours.

Eric, you posted something about how you eat softer foods first (like soups) and your post ended up being lost when the LBT servers went down a day or two ago.

I would LOVE to hear what you have to say about your eating techniques. Being a long-time bandster, you have perspective most of us don't. The "rule" has always been to eat your hard protiens first, so you get and stay fuller longer. But if this is hard on your band (and I *think* you believe it is) then perhaps you are on to something? I think I agree with you!

How did you adjustment go?

Thanks Kathy, Ill try to rewrite. Well I got a fill again this time 2.7 c.c. . It is very tight but it is OK so I loose weight faster. In my case ( I don't know if it is true) the Dr. told me he placed my band higher than normal. Why?? Well, when I had surgery my BMI was 1 point under the minimal for surgery. But when I told the Dr. what I ate he said I would be back later with the correct BMI, I was eating about 8000-9000 calories a day. Everytime I saw a fast food restaurant I had the urge to eat. Ok...

Having the band higher, makes you eat slower, because you get the sensation of fullness faster. In my case the eating procedure is different as many of the bandsters. I understand the principle of eating solids and avoid too much liquid so you don't wash your food away. I hope I am not the only one that uses the inverse.

In the mornings it is very difficult to " open the Band " it takes me even up to 2 hours to make liquids go through. I usually open the band with iced Water with a lot of ice. I've heard people drinking hot liquids ( it sounds logical hot liquids make the band softer ). Ive never tried it, Ill have to give it a try.

In the mornings I only have liquids. In the other meals once I open the band , I'll go for Soups, mashed potatoes,or any kinf of puree. Then I'll go with fish or chicken. Before the band I was 100% carnivorous ( red meats ), now I hardly eat read meat its to rough. next reply>>>>>>>>>

Since it is very hard for me to open the band each time I want to eat. I only have 3 meals a day. Sometimes at dinner I eat only a Soup or only a Glass of milk.

Even for the milk I have to open the band with Water. If I open the band with milk I will PB, and guess what it is not milk it is loke cottage cheese ( sorry for the details ), thats because of the time it takes to open the band, the body heats changes the milk composition.

Ive tried eating solids first and there is no way, I get the PB sensation.

Even it is hard for me to eat. The Lapband is the best thing. It changed my way of life for good.

Sorry for my English....

Ask me anything else if you feel I havent answer all your questions.

Also in my case once I open the band I will have to eat at a constant pace. If I stop eating for about 2-3 minutes, it gets harder to start eating again. I believe tha band starts to restrict the food again. Remeber my band is at a higher level, I think the pouch can't get larger than if you have the band at a lower level. This is just an Hypothesis..

Eric

Thanks for replying Eric! You should try warm liquids in the morning and see how that works for you.

I was very interested in your post beacuse you said something about eating softer foods first. There's something called "first-bite syndrome" where folks have trouble getting that first few bites down till the band opens up a bit and eating is a bit easier. Folks have to take a bite, then go back 5-10 min later to finish the meal. Seems like eating the liquid/softer foods first is a real help with this, especially warm Soups.

What you are doing is great with very good restriction, I'd think. But if you have that much trouble getting started in the monrings, are you too tight?

My conclusion is that it's better to eat softer foods first and get good healthy nutritious food in, and THAT'S what keep you feeling satisfied longer, not packing the pouch full of hard protiens first thing. ???

Many may disagree with me, oh well, I want a healthy band and healthy rate of weight loss. I have never been hard and fast about eating solid protiens first to stay full longer. I eat them first (because I'm not too tight) because that's the food I need to stay noursihed and lose weight well.

I ramble...but would you post more about your opinion regarding erosion? Do you feel like softer foods being a bit easier on the band helps prevent erosion?

Thanks for the tip Kathy. Right now I am trying to drink some coffee. I ll tell you later. You may be right with the first bite sindrome. I was afraid I was the only one with that problem. I ll try to eat a little then wait to see what happens. Thanks:)

About the erosion issue. I really don't know exactly what relly provokes it. I ve been lucky maybe. The only food I had not eaten since the surgery is red meat or shrimp which are a pain to make them pass the restriction. I believe that if you force the band it will erode. But I was thinking earlier that even Water on the rivers erode the land... but it is different cause there is a lot of water and is constant. That will be an interesting thread to post. Maybe try to decipher from the bandsters that have erosion to see their diets. This is a real issue we bandsters have to find what really erodes the band area. I know for sure having the band too tight will provoke erosion, thats why Im in a liquid state, ( maybe some Pasta with a lot of sauce ). Thats another thing I usually moisten my food with any kind of dressing, even mayo, ketchup, mustard. We could find out making a poll to see how moist is their foo. Is there anybody there that can make a poll. I don't know how to insert it in this thread.

Eric

Eric, in order to do a poll, you have to start a new thread. There are some interesting threads here on LBT regarding eating habits. I need to hop off for a bit, but if you'll give me a day or two, I'll dig them up and post the links here. I hate to take over your intro, but here we are! :D

Anyone else want to post links to good eating habits threads?

I'll be checking back. Thanks Eric. :)

Eric, in order to do a poll, you have to start a new thread. There are some interesting threads here on LBT regarding eating habits. I need to hop off for a bit, but if you'll give me a day or two, I'll dig them up and post the links here. I hate to take over your intro, but here we are! :D

Anyone else want to post links to good eating habits threads?

I'll be checking back. Thanks Eric. :)

Not at all Kathy, thanks for your interest in the poll....