Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Week 3 & GAINING! Totally Freaking Out! Please Help...

I am so upset right now. Week 1 I lost 22 lbs. Week 2 I lost 16 lbs. Today I hit the 3 week mark & I am up 5 lbs. from last week! Has anyone dealt with this. I am following my program perfectly. I do not have a calories guideline, but I am supposed to be getting 60-70 grams of Protein a day & less than 20 grams of carbs. I am doing that. 64 oz. of Water. Doing that too. Activity. Yes, 30 minute walk per day. Every day for the past 5 days I have been going up 1 lb. per day. That is the exact time that I went over to the soft food part of my plan I'm only eating what the nutritionist said that I could to fit into the nutritional guidelines.. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I go back to just liquids? I am heart broken right now. I have many times over the years dieted and gotten into the 380's and never been able to get lower. Last Tuesday I was at 381. Now I am at 386. This is SO discouraging. :(

Don't let it discourage you. I have been there too; however, it happened to me at week 7. Now I am at week 11 and have stalled out and can't seem to lose anymore. It will come off. You're body is probably just hanging on to fluids or something, especially being a woman our bodies do crazy things. Hang in there, I promise it will start coming back off again!

I understand the frustration though - all the hard work to have a gain. Keep being positive, keep doing the right thing and it will be ok.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Don't be discouraged! By my count, this still means that you have lost 33 pounds in 3 weeks--that is amazing! You should not go back on liquids, as that might send your body into starvation mode and make your weight loss slow down even more. If you have not read this info about stalls yet, you absolutely should; it explains a lot: http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.html

PS. I am still pre-op, but I have been reading and researching this site pretty obsessively for over a month and sharing some of the advice that I have seen repeatedly from the veterans.

Don't panic your weight will always flucuate. It's not gonna always come off every week. You will have stalls and some will last for 2 to 3 weeks or even a month. Just continue what you're doing and relax because if you're eating right u could be losing inches even if the scale don't move

Sent from my iPhone using VST

It's not the soft food. It's likely not 5 pounds of fat you've gained either. Think about it, to gain 5 pounds of fat you would have to eat 17,500 calories IN ADDITION to the calories you burn just being alive. Have you eaten that much? No, so you can rule out fat gain. Water retention is much more likely and that is really not a problem to worry about. You're doing fine. Keep eating and don't go back to liquids. That's what a yo-yo dieter would do. You are not that person anymore. You are a sleever now and from here on out you are on to a healthier way to live....not a yo-yo diet.

You are likely restoring your body's glycogen reserves, along with a lot of Water as the above link says. Believe it or not fat loss is still happening, and it will continue to happen long after this Fluid retention stops.

Hang in there.

I read the link. Thanks. I understand what it is saying. I have heard of other people having a "stall" around this time. I just haven't heard of anybody gaining during this time. I guess that is why I am concerned. I think that I would have been okay if I had just stayed at 381 this week & not gained. I have been in the 380's more times than I can count over the past few years, but have never been able to make it below that. This gain is just fueling my fear that my body won't let me go any further. No, I couldn't eat enough calories to gain right now if my life depended on it. I know that it is not carb related either. Can Vitamins effect weight loss. I haven't started mine yet as I am asleep more than I am awake. My body is just exhausted. I sleep a solid 14 hours every night. By the time I get up, it seems too late in the day to start vitamins.

Take your Vitamins and KEEP weighing. It is very good to know where you are at in case you need to adjust your routine(Like in this case). Keep drinking your Water and the weight will move. During my three week stall I gained 3 pounds and thought WTF!! I now stick to 600-700 calories and low carb, woohoo!! Keep going, no worries, you can do this!!

Wow, I will be 12 weeks out friday and am only down 38lbs, ur NOT a slow loser...hang in there!

I do agree with the other posters that it's prob your body fluctuating. However, I do want to add that sometimes people retain fluids. Are your ankles swelling? Keep an eye on your weight and if it continues to go up, you should call the doc. A few people on here have had that happen. Your doc would want to see you and possibly give you Water pills. Do not diagnose yourself. Fluid around your heart can be dangerous. While I doubt it's that, and i am not trying to scare you, I just want you to be aware of the possibility.

I do agree with the other posters that it's prob your body fluctuating. However, I do want to add that sometimes people retain fluids. Are your ankles swelling? Keep an eye on your weight and if it continues to go up, you should call the doc. A few people on here have had that happen. Your doc would want to see you and possibly give you Water pills. Do not diagnose yourself. Fluid around your heart can be dangerous. While I doubt it's that, and i am not trying to scare you, I just want you to be aware of the possibility.

Thank you. I actually have nerve damage in my left leg that causes it to swell quite regularly. I have a water pill that I usually take to keep the swelling down. I was told by my surgeon to discontinue it after surgery so that I wouldn't get dehydrated. My leg is at the point that I would usually take my medication. Maybe I'll call the surgeon's office & see if they'll clear it for me to start again. Funny that I didn't think of my leg until you mentioned the fluid retention. I guess that I'm so used to it by now, but I was always able to take my medication in the past.

That could def be the cause. Fluid retention can be quite heavy. I agree that you should call your surgeon tomorrow. If they agree to take the Water pill, do make sure you get lots of fluids in because dehydration will give you a whole 'nother set of of problems!!

Good luck and can you report on this thread what happens? I subscribed to it so I can follow it. It always helps to know what the verdict ends up being!!

:-)

I called my surgeon's office & was finally able to speak with someone late Wednesday afternoon. They said that it was fine for me to now take my Water pill when needed. I just need to monitor my blood pressure, get in plenty of water, etc. So, I took one yesterday morning. This morning I am down 2 lbs. since yesterday. So, I am more than likely just in a stall with some Fluid retention & not actually gaining. I am definitely still retaining some fluid in my nerve damaged lag, but got up too late this morning to take my medication for it. So, I will just stick to my program, take my water pill when I can & hope for the best.

Deedee- that's good news. So it was a combo Water retention & the 'dreaded 3 week stall.' I hope that things have gotten better or will get better soon. Hang in there!

Deedee- that's good news. So it was a combo Water retention & the 'dreaded 3 week stall.' I hope that things have gotten better or will get better soon. Hang in there!

Thanks. As of today I am back down to my pre-gain weight. My weight went down 2 lbs. on the 21st. No movement yesterday & then down 4 lbs. today. So, I am moving in the right direction. I have been on the boards a lot this week & I am seeing that a lot of people have stalls & fluctuations. Not everyone (actually not many people that I've seen yet) loses steadily. So, I am learning that it looks like I just need to stick with my program & the weight will come off. It just might not be the way I am expecting it to. :)