Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let the Joyous news be spread: New Jersey votes yes on Gay civil union!

Sunta

You know exactly what I'm saying, don't act like you are stupid or don't imply that I am.

Good grief Tim I gave you a list of Bibles instructed by God....

I think what T.O.M. is saying is that only the original Bible was instructed by God. If it has been translated, transcribed, shortened, or lengthened in any way, that Bible was not instructed by God. Words change over time. What may have meant one thing when it was first written down in the original language may have meant something entirely different when it was translated into another, and it may have been translated to show that difference. To use modern language, for example, the word "fag" when used in American English is a derogatory word for "homosexual," but in British English, it means "ciggarette." Same word, different meaning depending on who is talking and who is listening (or reading, in the case of the Bible).

If anyone could logically explain to me how it's fine to quote the bible about the section where it condemns Gays, but to ignore the sections that talk about things like owning slaves, etc., I would be fascinated to learn how that is possible.

Because to me, the part about condemning Gays and the part about owning slaves are equally rediculous.

What makes one line of the bible totally enforcable and another line of the bible "not applicable to today"?

If the bible is "scripted by God", then wouldn't each passage have to be taken literally? I just am sooo confused as to why certain phrases are taken literally while others are not.

If one "has to follow the word of God", then wouldn't one also have to follow each and every word?

To those of you that quote this bible passage about homosexuality, is it even a possibility that just maybe, that passage is just as irrational and crazy as selling your daughter into slavery, not looking at a woman when she has her period, or executing someone who works on Sunday?

Why are these things not applied today, but the Gay thing is? To those of you that quote the bible about homosexuality: Do you see how this contradiction (taking one thing literally but not everything) is totally and completely irrational?

Now I'm angry with myself, because I really didn't want this thread to degenerate into a bible discussion, and yet I'm playing right into it.

You don't agree with me, but the Bible the words of God....Good for you! I can say I don't agree with alot of things the Bible comes up with but don't think I am stupid enough to question the word of God. NONONO not this kid.....:P

Like the advertisement says JUST DO IT! And nobody said it would be easy either.:faint:

There is not one single instance in the Bible where Christ mentions homosexuality - not one.

Good grief Tim I gave you a list of Bibles instructed by God....

Evidently, Carol, you do not believe that my Bible is "instructed by God", since it is not on the list you provided TOM. I am very curious as to what makes you think that your Bibles are holier than mine. Does God place some kind of mark on them, like the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval? And how can there be more than one version of the "true" Bible anyway? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

gadgetlady: that's an interesting question. What do you think? Do you think polygamy should be legalized?

If it is proven to be a victimless crime, it should probably not be something that the government should be involved in as far as I'm concerned. But I don't have strong feelings about it because I don't know enough about it.

How does everyone feel about polygamy? Should it be legal?

I think polygamy is a terrible situation for the wives involved, but if they are consenting adults, I have no problem with it.

Maybe it's because I never had a sister, but sharing big ticket items - like a husband - is just not something I'm good at.

Personally, I think polygamy if completely fine if all people involved are unrelated, consenting adults. Forcing young girls to marry old men, though? Not cool.

gadgetlady: that's an interesting question. What do you think? Do you think polygamy should be legalized?

I've always been amazed the polygamy is illegal when having an affair is not. After all, the men who have 5, 10, 15, 20 wives have made a commitment, albeit not legal, but still a commitment to those wives. At least when those wives have babies, they're not being dumped to deal with it themselves. When a married man has an affair and gets his girlfriend pregnant, there's often no commitment to her (and the baby) whatsoever. That's not to say I'm in favor of it -- I'm holding my tongue on this one -- but I've always been interested in the dichotomous nature of the law. IMO there is no such this as a fair law.

I'm just curious to see if there is any consistency in people who think the definition of marriage should be expanded to include same-sex couples, also think it should be expanded to include polygamy.