Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let the Joyous news be spread: New Jersey votes yes on Gay civil union!

Sunta

You hear about religion all the time and how they reject homosexuality but then you keep hearing over and over about priests molesting little boys. Where is their religion?

My husband grew up as a S. Baptist. About 4 years ago his mom called to ask if their church's Music Minister had ever touched him (my DH) on private parts...

Seems this BAPTIST, MARRIED (with Children) Music Minister had recently been charged with over 15 counts of child molestation (on boys only) that happened over a 15 year span....

..wonder why we didnt read about this in the New York Times?? :kiss

anyway... :focus:

I've been an atheist, an agnostic, and now I love God. I would not have wanted to be discriminated against at any point in my life. I respect good people who make humane choices in life.

Guys, I am sorry if I seem super-sensitive about this, but I guess I have good reason. Next to weight-bashing, atheist-bashing seems to be one of the most accepted forms of discrimination. It just REALLY bothers me when people say offensive things. It bothers me even more when they play dumb and pretend like they don't know that what they're saying is offensive.

I understand. I grew up in the middle of the Southern Baptist Bible belt. I went to public schools with maybe 2 or 3 other Catholic kids. People, even adults, used to tell me that I was going to hell because I was Catholic and Catholics worship statues! Where do people get this stuff???

And what kind of Christian tells a 10 year old that they're going to hell?

My friend Margie suffered the same fate. Her mom was less patient and more direct than mine. She said, "Tell them to kiss your ass."

Carol: you never have answered my question about how you became familiar with the Bible. You don't have to answer, of course, but I would really like to know.

I was at one time a hugh sinner, more than most...I

used to carpool with some friends to work and while I would wait for everyone to get to the location I would pray that God come into my heart and bring me close to Him. Well it did not happen the next day but I would pray for that everyday for a long time. So I eventually got in touch with my sisters minister got a bible study going and gave my self to God through baptism (total emersion into the water.) I will never write another word on this subject if it is turning people away, that is NOT my intention. I was just wanting someone to open their heart and listen to the word of God, I do not want to displease Him by being ugly. Please if anyone has been offended I am sorry.

Hi I am looking into getting the Lap Band. Not to sure how to go about it. I called my insurance and they stated that they do cover the surgery, but my Doctor has to approve and I have to get a referral from him. Is this complicated to do? I have set up an appointment with him for November 9th. How long does it usually take to get approved from your insurance?

Hope someone can help. I have yet to tell anyone that I am going to do this.

Thank you

Amber

<P>So Carol let me get this straight. You're saying that the Old Testament no longer applies and that the New Testament is the one that applies and that is the one you must follow, right?</P>

<P> </P>

<P>And you have to follow God's word, and everything in the New Testament was handed down by God, right?</P>

<P> </P>

<P>So then according to that argument, you must also do/believe the following:</P>

<P> </P>

<P>Women must remain silent in church. Do you remain silent in church?</P>

<P> </P>

<P>You must cover your head, or if you don't you must cut your hair. This one is easy to carry out so I'll assume you abide by this one.</P>

<P> </P>

<P>Women must not teach or have authority over men. I'll assume that you're busy campaiging against female teachers, is that right?</P>

<P> </P>

<P>And according to Corinthians, not only will Gays not go to heaven, but neither will people who masturbate. Goodness gracious, I sure you hope you don't do <EM>that</EM>! And since people who covet and/or get drunk will never go to heaven either, I'll assume you've never done either of those.</P>

<P> </P>

<P>And why isn't George Bush out campaigning against masturbation and female teachers??? </P>

<P> </P>

<P>Do you see how that just doesn't make any sense? If you site one word out of one line of a paragraph in Corinthians and throw the rest away, how does that make any kind of sense whatsoever?</P>

<P> </P>

<P> </P>

<P> </P>

<P> </P>

<P> </P>

<P> </P>

Can anyone tell me why all those weird things are in my post? ARRRGGH God must be smiting me!!!

If I do any of these things and I do and have, I repent of my sins and only if I'm truly sorry will He forgive. That is why I'm blessed.

Maybe someone can explain this to me, because it is one of the things that really confuse me about people that call themselves Christians. You see people fairly often that say that anyone who accepts Christ into their lives will be saved and will go to heaven. But then, you also see many people that condemn homosexuality and say that all gays will burn in hell. How do you resolve the two? Which one is right? Will gays burn in hell, even if they accept Christ as their savior, or does everyone that accepts Christ go to heaven? Is one "sin" worse than another, or are they all "sin"? How does a so-called "Christian" resolve their hate for someone with the teachings of the Bible that istruct Christians to "love thy neighbor"? And to me, I classify it as hate, because a person's sexuality isn't a lifestyle, it is part of the person. You can't "hate the sin, love the sinner" or whatever the saying is.

Back in 1997(I think) Billy Graham was on 20/20. And said this:

http://www.publiceye.org/ifas/fw/9705/update.html

Downs then asked Graham his opinion about homosexuality. Graham responded, "I think the Bible teaches that homosexuality is a sin. But the Bible also teaches that pride is a sin, jealousy is a sin and hate is a sin. And so, I don't think that homosexuality should be chosen as the overwhelming sin that we're doing today."

It's interesting that my questions are just ignored or taken as "mockery". I am certainly not mocking anything. But I am certainly confused. I don't understand how one line of one paragraph of the bible can be pulled out and used against Gay people, when the other lines of the very same paragraph are ignored. But to even question this is "mockery"?

Please undersand, I see the denial of Gay people's ability to marry to be an extreme, unconscionable, and egregious violation of human rights. I view it to be as extreme and horrible as denying people of different races to marry. I see it as a violation of a fundamental human right. I view it to be as disturbing and infuriating as segregation. Even more so because it's still going on.

And the reason for it, is taken from a few lines of a text that has hundreds of, I'm sorry, but bizarre, archaic, non-applicible rules. and because of these few lines, taken from a text that also contains other extreme and crazy rules, millions of Americans are being denied their fundamental rights.

And to even question this, is viewed as "mocking" the bible. Or the other answer is "you have to have faith or it doesn't make sense."

I'm sorry, but I am a thinking person. Someone who doesn't just blindly follow what I've been brainwashed into believing. I question, I debate, I think, I wonder. I'm open to all possibilities.

This issue makes me more furious than anyone can possibly imagine, but of course I try to be respectful of everyone's religious beliefs, and I really do respect everyone's beliefs, but it does make me angry, very angry, when those beliefs strip me of my rights.

And the reason for it, is taken from a few lines of a text that has hundreds of, I'm sorry, but bizarre, archaic, non-applicible rules. and because of these few lines, taken from a text that also contains other extreme and crazy rules, millions of Americans are being denied their fundamental rights.

To me, it doesn't even matter if the Bible is as clear as crystal or mud. If some people believe it with all their heart, mind and soul and others don't.

What I don't get is why it's OK to make laws based on someone's beliefs, that affect people who don't share them, when I don't see any overriding societial reason to do so.

I wonder if you ladies would go along with an experiment with me?

Please quote me by clicking the blue "Quote" button on the lower right and then answer two questions. I promise not to use your answers against you but I want to show you (all) something.

#1. Are you prejudiced?

#2. Do you discriminate?