Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi to all, I read all 74 posts here, interesting topic. I am a Libra, I can see all sides of this. I am 53 yrs old, 5 months post op, was 291, 5'7". Therefore my BMI was I think 49. I had no persay comorbidities.

I am surprised I did not read a discussion on the relevance of the BMI #. As I have gone down the WLS path I have mulled over this BMI label. So after reading all these posts I googled BMI inaccuracies.

Quickly found info from 2009 to 2012 stating info such as.....1." The person who dreamed up the BMI said explicitly that it could not and should not be used to indicate the level of fatness in an individual.

The BMI was introduced in the early 19th century by a Belgian named Lambert Adolphe Jacques Quetelet. He was a mathematician, not a physician. He produced the formula to give a quick and easy way to measure the degree of obesity of the general population to assist the government in allocating".......tons more info if u google.

Just one more thought a person may (or may not) want to mull over as they decide what they will do.

Good Wishes to all

Well let me share my experience and I want you to really consider it carefully, because I do not think this is a good idea when it's cosmetic (as it was for me and is for the OP).

I was low BMI with zero risk factors for the surgery. I have had surgery in the past and never had a problem. I recover quickly am active and healthy though was a 35 BMI. I had my surgery in the US at a center of excellence (whatever that means...eyes rolling) and had researched my doctor carefully. I went into surgery with the anestesoligist laughing about playing tennis with me the next week....

During the surgery I had massive internal bleeding. I spent 24 hours afterwards having full body seizures which likely caused the leak in my stomach which was discovered five weeks later. I spent two nights in a hospital through the ER while my blood was gotten under control with transfusions. I now have the risk of hepatitis in the future. But I'll look good while I'm dying of that right?

I went home from there only to return back and forth to the ER's and my doctors office for four weeks. My inability to walk more than a few feet without fainting, nausea, severe pain, etc was attributed to the blood clot left in my abdomen. My inability to breath was attributed to my being on my back all the time....

Then I was sent via ambulance to a hospital two hours away after repeated drainings of my lungs failed to help me breath. The drainings are done without anesthesia. They cut a hole in your back and stick a large needle, about the size of a knitting needle down your back into your lungs and suction out a pint or two of Fluid so you can breath. They are incredibly painful...incredibly. You feel all but the initial cut. One of them would have induced me to lose the extra weight pre-surgery...I can't possibly explain the pain...I had three total. And did I mention sometimes you have spasms afterwards...gad those are nice.

They then had to cut a hole under my breast and insert a garden size hose into my chest after spreading my ribs...again only topical anesthesia so you feel all but the cut. This is attached to a pump which constantly pumps the Fluid out of your lungs so you can breath...so you don't die! I could not eat, sleep, comfortably breath, bath myself, go to the bathroom, etc. I gained 40lbs. I nearly died. This was just to save my life from the complication of the surgery and allow them the ability to diagnose my symptoms, which then turned out to be a leak. My stomach was sending poison to my body which was flooding my diaphragm with fluid, thus filling my lungs. The tissue from my stomach was so badly damaged by the delay in treatment that they couldn't repair the leak with traditional surgical means and had to use a new technology which had a very very high failure rate, but was my only hope verses losing my stomach all together. I was in bed for sixty days. I was unable to lift anything over five pounds for three months. I had two surgeries, so basically at six weeks I started all over again with my recovery. They asked if I wanted a chaplin twice. I was away from my very small son for 22 nights. I was nearly away from him forever. This cosmetic procedure nearly killed me and has left me with damaged lungs, risks of future illnesses, and yes weight loss.

Its not worth it. Go out and pick up a garden hose and think of cramming that down your chest...try to spread your ribs....stick a knitting needle down your throat...that's easier than your back....It's not worth it.

Someone else here is going through what I did right now. It's NOT UNCOMMON!!!! I had no risks...I nearly died twice. It's not worth it!!!

I am in Colorado. My "Bariatric Center of Excellence" is relatively new at Parker Adventist Hospital. I am now 6 days post-op' date=' and nothing dreadful has happened so far, so nothing I say here will be worthy of a lawsuit. The hospital opened its "center of excellence" with Matthew Metz a few years ago. That is when I first heard about the sleeve (vs. lap band and bypass). I had a baby in the summer of 2010 and nursed for a year (until July 2011). After that, my primary care physician said that I could start a physician-guided weight loss. She switched me from a low dose of Zoloft (given for "baby blues") to a low dose of Welbutrin, because the latter has been helpful in reducing appetite in some people. Well, after six months of Welbutrin and exercise, my weight didn't really go down. In January 2012 I "discovered" that I have Hashimoto's (an autoimmune form of hypothyroidism). I was a little annoyed because I had been going to endocrinologists for 10 YEARS and nobody ever mentioned that! It sort of makes a difference because my primary care physician said that auto immune diseases are known to respond favorably to gluten free, dairy free and sugar free diets.... I mulled this over for months and in June I started avoiding gluten. It did not help my weight or my energy levels, but it did help with digestion-related issues. So, at that point, I decided to get to a seminar at Parker Adventist re: the surgery. I wasn't terribly thoughtful about researching the "best" doctors or anything. So, I started the process with Dr. Metz.

Simultaneously, my current health care provider, Cigna, reduced the number of bariatric classes needed from 6 months to 3 months. That really lit a fire with me. (In hindsight, is going through the process faster, better? Not sure. I may need to ask if I can attend the classes I didn't get because I feel like I would benefit from the info...even now.) So, everything was going along chuggingly and one week after my last class in December...AFTER I had a surgery date with Dr. Metz for December 17th, I got a call saying that Dr. Metz had left the practice. HUH???? A cautious person would have cancelled the surgery, but our health care provider was changing January 1st to a lesser PPO and I knew that I would not be able to afford the surgery in 2013. So, after a brief visit with Dr. Joshua Long (who had been on staff since August), I had the surgery scheduled with him on the 17th. Neither here, nor there, but you really don't have a "relationship" with the surgeons anyway. Dr. Long did deviate from standard procedure with me based on two things in my health history/family history. He scoped me prior to surgery because I had a bleeding ulcer as a young adult and he just wanted to make sure everything was good in my stomach. (I didn't think I had an ulcer, but I still felt it was relevant to surgery and so did he.) He also gave me anti-coag shots to take home with me because my dad's side of the family has a huge issue with blood clots and since I had never had ANY surgery before, I couldn't say if I would make clots, too.

But, getting back to the point of not really having a relationship with the surgeon...I don't think Dr. Metz would recognize me if he saw me on the street and Dr. Long does not appear gifted with remembering faces, either. On the other hand, the NUT, the social worker and the rest of the gang, DO seem to know me and I think post surgery, they are probably more important to my day-to-day life.

BTW, I should mention that I have battled my weight my whole life, so it wasn't just having one baby that triggered my decision to have surgery. Like so many others, I felt battle weary and with a BMI of 42 at age 42, I didn't think things would get better without taking drastic measures. Sorry if I hogged this thread on low-BMIs, but Iggy caught my attention with the "Bariatric Center of Excellence" thing. Clearly, if you read her story, it means very little and you can still have a poor outcome.[/quote']

I was also sleeved in Colorado, by Dr Metz. My BMI was over 50. My life had changed in 5 monthS, so drastically. I love my sleeve!, I almost feel guilty that my surgery went so well. I really feel for those that suffered so much because of the surgery. And for awhile I waited for the floor to drop out, thank heavens it never did. Really think about your choices, research and do what you think is right for you. Good luck!

I am in Colorado. My "Bariatric Center of Excellence" is relatively new at Parker Adventist Hospital. I am now 6 days post-op' date=' and nothing dreadful has happened so far, so nothing I say here will be worthy of a lawsuit. The hospital opened its "center of excellence" with Matthew Metz a few years ago. That is when I first heard about the sleeve (vs. lap band and bypass). I had a baby in the summer of 2010 and nursed for a year (until July 2011). After that, my primary care physician said that I could start a physician-guided weight loss. She switched me from a low dose of Zoloft (given for "baby blues") to a low dose of Welbutrin, because the latter has been helpful in reducing appetite in some people. Well, after six months of Welbutrin and exercise, my weight didn't really go down. In January 2012 I "discovered" that I have Hashimoto's (an autoimmune form of hypothyroidism). I was a little annoyed because I had been going to endocrinologists for 10 YEARS and nobody ever mentioned that! It sort of makes a difference because my primary care physician said that auto immune diseases are known to respond favorably to gluten free, dairy free and sugar free diets.... I mulled this over for months and in June I started avoiding gluten. It did not help my weight or my energy levels, but it did help with digestion-related issues. So, at that point, I decided to get to a seminar at Parker Adventist re: the surgery. I wasn't terribly thoughtful about researching the "best" doctors or anything. So, I started the process with Dr. Metz.

Simultaneously, my current health care provider, Cigna, reduced the number of bariatric classes needed from 6 months to 3 months. That really lit a fire with me. (In hindsight, is going through the process faster, better? Not sure. I may need to ask if I can attend the classes I didn't get because I feel like I would benefit from the info...even now.) So, everything was going along chuggingly and one week after my last class in December...AFTER I had a surgery date with Dr. Metz for December 17th, I got a call saying that Dr. Metz had left the practice. HUH???? A cautious person would have cancelled the surgery, but our health care provider was changing January 1st to a lesser PPO and I knew that I would not be able to afford the surgery in 2013. So, after a brief visit with Dr. Joshua Long (who had been on staff since August), I had the surgery scheduled with him on the 17th. Neither here, nor there, but you really don't have a "relationship" with the surgeons anyway. Dr. Long did deviate from standard procedure with me based on two things in my health history/family history. He scoped me prior to surgery because I had a bleeding ulcer as a young adult and he just wanted to make sure everything was good in my stomach. (I didn't think I had an ulcer, but I still felt it was relevant to surgery and so did he.) He also gave me anti-coag shots to take home with me because my dad's side of the family has a huge issue with blood clots and since I had never had ANY surgery before, I couldn't say if I would make clots, too.

But, getting back to the point of not really having a relationship with the surgeon...I don't think Dr. Metz would recognize me if he saw me on the street and Dr. Long does not appear gifted with remembering faces, either. On the other hand, the NUT, the social worker and the rest of the gang, DO seem to know me and I think post surgery, they are probably more important to my day-to-day life.

BTW, I should mention that I have battled my weight my whole life, so it wasn't just having one baby that triggered my decision to have surgery. Like so many others, I felt battle weary and with a BMI of 42 at age 42, I didn't think things would get better without taking drastic measures. Sorry if I hogged this thread on low-BMIs, but Iggy caught my attention with the "Bariatric Center of Excellence" thing. Clearly, if you read her story, it means very little and you can still have a poor outcome.[/quote']

Also, do you attend the support groups in Parker? The next one is on the tenth of Jan, at 5 on, same conference room that they held the seminar in. It would be nice to meet another support person

Hello everyone - I am 188 lbs' date=' 33 BMi, and scheduled for surgery on 12/26/12...

Sometimes I feel like I am crazy - other times I am able to rationalize this move - and then I flip flop several times throughout the day.

I've tried everything... and yes during all of those crazy attempts I have lost weight. NOTHING ever stayed off once my attempt was over... be it injections, pills, WW, etc. It's been a roller coaster - and it makes me sad.

I am looking for honest feedback and input - I understand that my weight is not comparable to others, but please understand that my feelings are... and my self talk is probably the same as the rest of you. We all have our own demons.

Thoughts, input, caution, encouragment... all welcome.[/quote']

I am where u were then right now.i am 205 w a bmi of 35 I keep thinking they will say I'm not big enough.but I've been over weight all my life .i can definitely relate

Marie

Well let me share my experience and I want you to really consider it carefully' date=' because I do not think this is a good idea when it's cosmetic (as it was for me and is for the OP).

I was low BMI with zero risk factors for the surgery. I have had surgery in the past and never had a problem. I recover quickly am active and healthy though was a 35 BMI. I had my surgery in the US at a center of excellence (whatever that means...eyes rolling) and had researched my doctor carefully. I went into surgery with the anestesoligist laughing about playing tennis with me the next week....

During the surgery I had massive internal bleeding. I spent 24 hours afterwards having full body seizures which likely caused the leak in my stomach which was discovered five weeks later. I spent two nights in a hospital through the ER while my blood was gotten under control with transfusions. I now have the risk of hepatitis in the future. But I'll look good while I'm dying of that right?

I went home from there only to return back and forth to the ER's and my doctors office for four weeks. My inability to walk more than a few feet without fainting, nausea, severe pain, etc was attributed to the blood clot left in my abdomen. My inability to breath was attributed to my being on my back all the time....

Then I was sent via ambulance to a hospital two hours away after repeated drainings of my lungs failed to help me breath. The drainings are done without anesthesia. They cut a hole in your back and stick a large needle, about the size of a knitting needle down your back into your lungs and suction out a pint or two of Fluid so you can breath. They are incredibly painful...incredibly. You feel all but the initial cut. One of them would have induced me to lose the extra weight pre-surgery...I can't possibly explain the pain...I had three total. And did I mention sometimes you have spasms afterwards...gad those are nice.

They then had to cut a hole under my breast and insert a garden size hose into my chest after spreading my ribs...again only topical anesthesia so you feel all but the cut. This is attached to a pump which constantly pumps the Fluid out of your lungs so you can breath...so you don't die! I could not eat, sleep, comfortably breath, bath myself, go to the bathroom, etc. I gained 40lbs. I nearly died. This was just to save my life from the complication of the surgery and allow them the ability to diagnose my symptoms, which then turned out to be a leak. My stomach was sending poison to my body which was flooding my diaphragm with fluid, thus filling my lungs. The tissue from my stomach was so badly damaged by the delay in treatment that they couldn't repair the leak with traditional surgical means and had to use a new technology which had a very very high failure rate, but was my only hope verses losing my stomach all together. I was in bed for sixty days. I was unable to lift anything over five pounds for three months. I had two surgeries, so basically at six weeks I started all over again with my recovery. They asked if I wanted a chaplin twice. I was away from my very small son for 22 nights. I was nearly away from him forever. This cosmetic procedure nearly killed me and has left me with damaged lungs, risks of future illnesses, and yes weight loss.

Its not worth it. Go out and pick up a garden hose and think of cramming that down your chest...try to spread your ribs....stick a knitting needle down your throat...that's easier than your back....It's not worth it.

Someone else here is going through what I did right now. It's NOT UNCOMMON!!!! I had no risks...I nearly died twice. It's not worth it!!!

[/quote']

I don't know about 'caloric dense food' but when I couldn't quit losing weight, my dietitian just had me add a couple of Snacks during the day. I had gotten down 18 lbs below my physician's goal. I started adding calories and was able to gain back up to where I wanted to be. approx 5 lbs below my doctor's number. I know I could cut calories and lose back down again, so that is a pretty powerful feeling. I feel in control. Don't worry, they were not lying to you.

BTW, I had no health issues, just vanity!! :) BMI was just shy of 36. Easy surgery, no problems. No buyer's remorse, EVER, not one minute!

I'm not going to Mexico - that would freak me out... I am a self pay patient - my husband and I used our CU to finance the surgery.

I also do not have any health issues. I guess that's one of the scary parts - I wonder if I will develop issues post op different than those that are due to being overweight, etc. Although I am not diabetic or have high blood pressure I do realize that at the weight I am today - I am very inactive, always tired, have depressive tendencies, etc.

Unlike most patients I do worry about things such as getting too small. My RD, explained that if I was to reach goal and not want to lose anymore that my diet regimen should change to include more calorie dense foods - thus stabilizing the weight. That was comforting, but being a skeptic - I also wonder if they are just telling me what I want to hear? #conflicted

Like I said, I teeter totter - I dont see anything else working long term, nor do I see myself having the ability to go it alone.. It's been a life long battle. And to me it's sad because what I find is that if you are somewhere in the middle of "normal" and "obese" there is little to no help - becuase people assume that you are just lazy and could lose the weight on your own. Last year I spent 6 months training with a personal trainer 6 days a week... only to get down to 179. I was strong no doubt but I was still big. (And not like bulging muscles big) just big...

I'm also on the lower end of the BMI scale I'm 30.5 and going to have my surgery done by Dr. Alvarez in Mexico. Everyone keeps telling me I'm too small and I shouldn't do it. I'm doing it anyways because I'm ready to be happy with my body and do the things I want to do!

I'm also on the lower end of the BMI scale I'm 30.5 and going to have my surgery done by Dr. Alvarez in Mexico. Everyone keeps telling me I'm too small and I shouldn't do it. I'm doing it anyways because I'm ready to be happy with my body and do the things I want to do!

I keep reading this post and well.. many things have gone through my mind.. But at the end of the day it's your body your choice I wish you luck

:)

As long as you go in eyes wide open knowing what Iggy said could be your story then be thankful you have the right to choose.

On my surgery date, my BMI was 34. Here's the way I made my decision.

I just turned 57 and have struggled with my weight for close to 40 years. Like so many others, I've been on every diet imaginable. I've also been pretty successful on some of them; about 10 years ago I got down to a size 6. About 5 years ago I got down to a 'small' 10 for my son's wedding.

For a few days, or weeks, or months, I looked great. But then I gained it back. All of it and more. Then it got to the point that I gave up and gained more and more, but always with the intent to lose it before the next vacation, the next big event, etc. Then it hit me. Why in the world did I think that the next time would be any different than all of the attempts over the last 40 years?!?

And that's how I came to the conclusion that I had to do something different. And I'm so glad I did...

I'm 60 and BMI 31. My surgery is scheduled for next month. Your posting is very encouraging. How are you doing now?

Thanks for asking...I'm doing great! I've lost almost 50 pounds since I started the pre-op diet in mid-October. I've been a fairly slow loser, but I haven't been able to exercise due to a problem with my knee. I finally had surgery 2 weeks ago and am hoping that I'll be able to begin exercising soon!

Love, love, love my sleeve! Like so many others, my only regret is that I didn't do it years ago!

I was sleeved 2/4/13. I am 47 yrs old. At age 20, I weighed 125 lbs. I then gained over the years to my all time high of 257. I also tried every diet I could find and was never successful. If this surgery had been available 20 years ago when I weighed 180 pounds and I knew that if I did not take care of it that I would double my weight, I am sure I would have signed up for surgery. Good luck to you.

Why wait until your BMI goes higher? Why let your skin get any more stretched? Why wait until you have indeed developed health issues? (if you continue to gain, you will....)

If you are educated about the risks and truly understand them, then you must decide if you are willing to accept such risks.

Yes, it really is easy to stop losing weight, at least it was for me. I lost rapidly and steadily, never hit a stall. I realized my first two goals were too low, so when I reached a weight and size I liked, I just started eating a few more calories and carbs and bingo, I've held steady easily. I did have a base metabilic rate test done, so I had a very good idea of how many calories to shoot for.

Good luck!

Be very careful and make sure you really think this all through. This is a major surgery with major changes and just one tool in an arsenal of tools you will need to have. Please make sure you truly exhaust all other options and make an informed decision of what is best for you. I wish you luck!