Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone - I am 188 lbs' date=' 33 BMi, and scheduled for surgery on 12/26/12...

Sometimes I feel like I am crazy - other times I am able to rationalize this move - and then I flip flop several times throughout the day.

I've tried everything... and yes during all of those crazy attempts I have lost weight. NOTHING ever stayed off once my attempt was over... be it injections, pills, WW, etc. It's been a roller coaster - and it makes me sad.

I am looking for honest feedback and input - I understand that my weight is not comparable to others, but please understand that my feelings are... and my self talk is probably the same as the rest of you. We all have our own demons.

Thoughts, input, caution, encouragment... all welcome.[/quote']

I am not sure I would do it for low BMI alone. Do you have any other health issues that would be helped by this surgery? Also, you don't mention age, but if I think if you are younger than 40 with no other health issues, I would continue to try non-surgical methods. Over age 40, it does get worse trying to get the pounds off...I know it's an individual decision, and you need to consider all the factors...co- morbidities, age, are you trying to lose weight before pregnancy, etc? It is a serious surgery. God bless!

I'm not going to Mexico - that would freak me out... I am a self pay patient - my husband and I used our CU to finance the surgery.

I also do not have any health issues. I guess that's one of the scary parts - I wonder if I will develop issues post op different than those that are due to being overweight' date=' etc. Although I am not diabetic or have high blood pressure I do realize that at the weight I am today - I am very inactive, always tired, have depressive tendencies, etc.

Unlike most patients I do worry about things such as getting too small. My RD, explained that if I was to reach goal and not want to lose anymore that my diet regimen should change to include more calorie dense foods - thus stabilizing the weight. That was comforting, but being a skeptic - I also wonder if they are just telling me what I want to hear? #conflicted

Like I said, I teeter totter - I dont see anything else working long term, nor do I see myself having the ability to go it alone.. It's been a life long battle. And to me it's sad because what I find is that if you are somewhere in the middle of "normal" and "obese" there is little to no help - becuase people assume that you are just lazy and could lose the weight on your own. Last year I spent 6 months training with a personal trainer 6 days a week... only to get down to 179. I was strong no doubt but I was still big. (And not like bulging muscles big) just big...[/quote']

In reading your second posting, I would be more inclined to try it with your lower BMI. You sound like me before 4 pregnancies and hypothyroidism. I had to work so hard to be a lower weight but I was still heavy. Very frustrating.

This is life changing you will not eat the same again it's hard' date=' I am for weeks out and glad I did it. But I had 100 pounds to lose. Put a lot of thought into it because now that's its done, my free choice has been taken away. I say that because some days I'm nauseous all day somedays I wish I could eat with family or friends. In my head I'm still hungry but the minute I start eating something it is so uncomfortable. It's no fun at all. It was the best move for me but I know that I need to work on my longing for food. This is not an easy route don't let anyone make you believe it is.. I'm not trying to talk you out of it. Just make sure you really want to make these drastic changes.[/quote']

This is how I feel. There is a huge sacrifice being made in exchange for health.

I don't really have any words to respond to your post. I am grateful to hear your perspective. It scares the crap out of me... and one of the things I have discussed with my husband is - am I lowering my life expectancy by having this surgery. The goal is to be a healthy weight - stop killing my self with substances that aren't healthy either' date=' but at the same time - I want to be an old woman someday, and hope this doesn't shorten my time here. I know this may sound irrational lDK...

Not sure that it matters but where did you have surgery?

I will be praying for you. How are you now?

I am so sorry again.[/quote']

Are we allowed to share the names of locations/doctors where we have had bad experiences on this site?

Go for it! Reason being you may have a low bmi but why struggle like you have been when you can do something proactive about it. I was 170 at one point and now I'm 240

scheduled same day as you! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Thanks Ortega07... I will be praying for you - xo

Are we allowed to share the names of locations/doctors where we have had bad experiences on this site?

hi Sadler, I seen other post here where people share their experience. I belive that If you share your experience; you will be giving the opportunity to other people NOT to chose that doctor.. it will be a life saver!!! That's my opinion!!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

hi Sadler' date=' I seen other post here where people share their experience. I belive that If you share your experience; you will be giving the opportunity to other people NOT to chose that doctor.. it will be a life saver!!! That's my opinion!!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

I'm only 5 days out. And, I qualified for surgery with a BMI of 42. I was just wondering if Iggy could say who had done her surgery, because I went to a "center of excellence" too.

It's scary that doctors even agree to do this surgery on anyone who has less than 100 pounds to lose and especially on patients under 200 pounds. Not being rude or judgemental, it's a genuine concern. There are real risks that come along with the sleeve. You admitted to being inactive, have you tried being active? How tall are you? What is your goal weight? I didn't read all the responses so sorry if you already answered. It sounds like you are already going through with it so I hope you are prepared mentally and I pray for a successful outcome!

Hi...this has to be your decision and you have to be comfortable with it. I have a BMI orf 37 with hypertension and high cholesterol. I have to attend WL support meetings and I had one person say to me,"I wouldn't even have surgery if I was only 170#". I told her that I might not either but that I am #229. I feel like some people judge me for having the surgery saying....you are pretty the way you are. I explain that I am not having the surgery because I don't feel attractive...i am having it to get healthier. Wether we are #300 or #200....it is a choice that only you can make. I'm scheduled for Jan. 10, 2013. Good luck on your decision.

Lets just keep in mind that low bmi does not mean we are healthy, my bmi was 32 and at that I was still considered obese. So IMO depending on your health history you might be saving yourself a lot of problems later on.

I am one of those low BMI people, 35, with my co-morbidity (hate that word) is sleep apnea, which has its own health risks in addition to obesity, and my waist measurement is 38", which also puts me at higher risk for many health conditions. I'm less than 5'2", and though I was under 200 pounds when I got surgery on Monday, I was recently very close to 200 lbs. Weight is irrelevant if you don't consider height as well.

I have been obese for much of my adult life and I know that my health will greatly improve with this procedure. I have a feeling that as people with low BMIs have the surgery, and significant reduction in many health challenges, the insurance qualification may lower. In fact, it used to be 40 BMI, and is now 35 with a co-morbidity, which is why I and many of us have qualified for the surgery.

Generally, I am actually an active person who ate well, but certainly too much. I don’t eat red meat, and haven’t for decades, I don’t drink alcohol, take drugs or smoke. I work at a standing desk with a treadmill that I walk on part of the time, and I ride a seven mile bike ride around three times a week. I drink only Water. I haven’t had sugar of any kind since April 5 of 2011 (no sugar, agave, maple Syrup, honey or fake sugars).

Over the years, I’ve done tons of diets, including two medically supervised fasts twenty years apart. The only time in my life where I was able to keep myself at a great BMI was when I was on Phen Fen for two years. The reason I was so successful is it was the only time in my life that I have ever FELT when I was full. The feeling of when I am full has evaded me except for this time period, and it has been the great challenge of my life. On Phen Fen, I felt full with much less food, and was able to stop without emotional eating for years. However, that medication was discontinued. Now, having done the sleeve, I don't feel hungry, and I do feel full. I realize this is less than a week out, and that I likely have 6-18 months to make these changes permanent, or I might as well have not done the surgery, but I'm feeling hopeful for the first time in my 49 years that I might be able to achieve and maintain an healthy weight. I hope we are careful not to judge each other, and to offer support. This is such a scary thing to do, but I am grateful to have had the opportunity to do it, and for the support of this group.

I hope I'm not giving the impression that I'm not being supportive. This surgery is serious and should be a last resort. I reread the comments and discovered the hardships the OP has had with weight. I definitely understand that! I just hope she's really thought about all this entails especially since now she is healthy. A BMI of 35 with comorbities is a candidate for surgery. Also I'm 5'9 so from my perspective, under 200 pounds would be thin to me. But I understand it's not for everyone and especially if you carry your weight in your abdominal area, it's dangerous.

I'm so happy you have decided to go ahead and have this surgery. This is such life changing and saving procedure. I don't believe that in order to have this surgery, one should have to lose at least 100 lbs. I have lost 79 lbs and am totally excited about it. I would do this again. Just the thought of my A1C for my diabetes being in order is fantastic and my daily blood sugar is also where it needs to be. This is a blessing, no meds, no shots, how great is that? Each and every person on this site have differing opinions which doesn't necessarily make the answer right. When I went in for an endoscopy and the doc said if I had a hole, they would have to do surgery, now that scared me because I don't have hardly enough to lose now. After all my BMI is 23 right now. Of course I didn't have a hole and everything was perfect. In fact, my stomach looked like a skinny italian sausage. LOL. I do love my stomach.....This is your decision and I know that you have evaluated the pro's and con's and what could go wrong as we all have. CONGRATS! :)

I know we are all trying to support each other. I guess I was just putting a note of caution in my last message.

Thank you all!

I'm only 5 days out. And' date=' I qualified for surgery with a BMI of 42. I was just wondering if Iggy could say who had done her surgery, because I went to a "center of excellence" too.[/quote']

my dear doc threatened to sue the site if i used his name again so I don't post it to save Alex and myself a headache :( What state are you in?