Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for Honesty...

How many of you actually gained the last few pounds needed in order to qualify for the surgery?

I have a friend who recently went through this and she told me that its not uncommon for some people who are close to go ahead and gain the weight in order to hit the 40% BMI mark.

On a related topic, how many of you didn't need to gain the weight because you found a loophole or other way to get the surgery approved. If so, how did you do it?

Back story, my weight was never an issue. Even after the birth of my first son, I bounced right back with no problem. When I was pregnant with my second son 8 years ago, I was in a car accident while 8 months pregnant. I ended up with chronic back pain. At that point, I began to gain. The strong back I had always had was gone and I didn't recover. I managed to get down to about 160 but couldn't get below that. I'm 5'3-5'4 depended on who measures me. After my third son was born, I tried really hard to lose the weight but again and again could only get to 160. I got an IUD and my weight spiralled out of control to 230. I went on pills and shots to try to lose weight and tried jogging and working out. I managed again to get to 160 and no further. I managed to keep it there for a few months until I had a knee injury and had to have surgery. I could no longer jog and my weight spiralled out of control again. I would lose 12 lbs, gain 15, lose 10, gain 20... its been horrible. Even when I lose a lot of weight, my belly fat was always dangerously high. I am so tired of this.. its been going on for 8 years. I tried crossfit and paleo and only lost 4 lbs in 1 month that all came back in 1 meal. At least point, according to Triwest, I lack 15 lbs to qualify since my blood pressure is normal. Its waaaayyy higher than its ever been but normal for them. I don't have diabetes either. What to do? I know that I could just keep trying but I'm almost 30 now and I know that this high belly fat is going to kill me eventually. I don't eat unhealthy but even eating healthy the weight just continues to seep on. In fact, if I eat unhealthy, I have horrible gastro problems diahhrea and lose weight - crazy I know. So, what do I do? Do I keep struggling on and know that getting below 160 without this surgery will be impossible? Or, do I go ahead and gain the last 15 lbs and get some help???? I'm so tired of this... I just want to stop hurting, I want to stop crying over it, I just want to know that I will still be here when my kids graduate. I hurt all the time and its exhausting. If I could lose the weight, I KNOW how to keep it off. That is not the issue. At this weight, my knee doesn't allow me to do much without hurting and I think if I could get this weight off my knee and back would feel INCREDIBLE!

What do you guys think??

Hi Jessi,

You sound like you've really been through some challenges -- major bummer. And with three little boys! But you're still trying to take care of yourself -- good for you.

Is it that you're trying to weigh enough to convince a doctor to do the surgery or that you're trying to qualify for insurance to pay for it?

Being only 30 years old, you don't have the co-mordibities yet that all us older folks have. Once you become hypertensive, diabetic, have GERD, stress incontinence, joint pain (you'll eventually have all of these if you're really overweight), you'll more easily qualify for VSG without being at a BMI of 40. I was at at BMI of 39, but the co-morbidities made it a slam dunk with my insurance company. (I am also 58 years old.)

Are you working with any doctor closely enough that he would support your need to lose weight so that your back and knee would likely be less of a problem? That's probably your best way to go.

As far as putting on weight (ouch!), it probably wouldn't be that hard to let yourself gain. And you might only need to gain a few pounds for real -- I know if I eat a few big meals in a row AND I'm somewhat constipated, the scale will reflect a pretty hefty weight gain until all the food "moves on". :wacko:

Good luck, Jessi!

I was in the same situation, my BMI wasn't high enough for insurance. But I had a sleep study done and I have sleep apnea..yay! So now I qualify...my surgery date is 12/19/12. You could check if that would qualify you. Good luck :)

Your previous back injury may qualify you. I have severe disc degeneration disease on my L5-S1 and I believed it got me approved without any hassles. I did not have the BMI > 40 for the past 2 yrs (per my insurance requirement). I have, however, had a BMI > 35 over that time period.

Good luck!

I have a fractured L1 that healed but still hurts and chronic back pain from soft tissue/nerve damage. I also had the knee surgery and was told that if I didn't lose the weight I would eventually completely destroy my knee. I don't sleep well, my husband said the more weight I gain I snore horribly.. I wouldn't be surprised if I don't have sleep apnea. My son has it too. I started having horrible chest pain from the weight and take pain meds like mobic to dull the pain. My whole body just hurts... my ankles and feet swell now, my knees swell, my hips and back constantly hurt and I can barely walk some days..my shoulders and elbows hurt and my arms, legs, hands and feet constantly tingle and have weird sensations like falling asleep. I am also have horrible menstration issues and I have been going to the doctor for many of these problems for the past year. My doctor's great suggestion was "lose weight to lose weight" ... I was told that female hormones are trapped in my massive belly fat... my stomach is disgustingly huge..like being pregnant... and that this is preventing me from menstrating and I have to lose this belly fat in order to lose weight. To me, it doesn't sound like my doctor is going to help..I have been checked for thyroid problems and although I have 95% of the symptoms of low thyroid like low body temps, sweats, chills, Hair loss, etc... nada. I'm just at my end... I want to have this surgery so bad. I feel like its my ONLY hope...

I know how you feel:( I'm pre-op waiting to hear from the insurance regarding approval. I thought I was at a 40 bmi but the surgeons office measured me 1/2 inch taller than I thought. So, that brought me down to a 39 bmi. I don't have any eligible co-morbidities either, even though I have rheumatiod arthrisis, fibro and generally in pain all the time. I had a 3 month pre-op "diet" for insurance and the first 2 appoinments, I was under by a few pounds, so I did try to gain a couple pounds. I also wore my heaviest sweater and had my phone, change, etc. in my pants pockets. Is that cheating??? Maybe, but I was soo close. I also think I have sleep apnea and just haven't been diagnosed. If the insurance denies me, I will go get the sleep study.

I am not going to say who on here has done it, but I personally know people who used weights to up their weight high enough. They hid them under spanks and did ankle weights. I also know people who gained 10 or 15 pounds to qualify. I am not telling you what to do, or saying its ok, or that it isn't okay. Just relaying the information I know.

Personally 10 lbs to gain to get the surgery covered isnt a lot. Id do it.

At my second appointment, when I was at 39.9 bmi, my NUT actually said "I won't tell you to gain weight, but drink A LOT of Water right before you weigh next time". I gained a couple pounds and was at a 41 bmi at my last weigh in. I would have probably gained 10 lbs if I needed to. (and/or put rolls of quarters in my pockets, lol!). But you need to do what is best for you. I felt conflicted because I'm going to just have to lose those pounds again, but I really feel that I need this surgery.

I'm not telling you what to do im but giving you a story on someone I knew.

10 years ago a girlfriend of mine decided to have rny. She was young, early twenties had no comorbidities. She was 30lbs shy of her insurance covering the surgery without those comorbidities. She was so. Distraught about her weight and new this was her only way out thay she carbed up and gained 35lbs. Her surgery was then covered under her plan. Now I know 35lbs is a lot different than 10lbs. But it's both being done for the same reasons.

Good luck in your decision.

I thought about I'm at a catch 22 with the va have the co morbs but 33 bmi ...need 35 I started weighing with my shoes on but I decided on mexico I absolutely hurt all the time the back ect. My tsh is normal but I have hashimotos thyroid its a type that will only show up for me in anti thyroids antibodies few doctors do that test . I can never lose more the 7 lbs either keep doing what you need to do you know what's best for you. For me seeing obesity added to my medical chart was enough.

Thanks everyone!!!!!! I appreciate all the feedback!! I'm making an appointment with my regular doctor next week to get a referral. I know it will take them forever so I'm gonna go ahead and make the appointment and see what happens!!! I'll check back in!