Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Met w the surgeon i have a small hihatal hernia I knew this already so my plans where to have it repair when I have my sleeve my surgeon is say that he don't want to do the repair at the samething as the sleeve cause of infection control but I'm confuse cause everyone I've talk to on here has had it repaired at the same time I'm thinking about finding a new surgeon but the guy is experience and very sweet but I don't want to have to have a second surgery to repair it it's bad enough I want a TT after all this I just think that's to much surgery on my body I've already had two surgeries on my stomach area plus taking off from work and then another surgery hernia take 6 week before your release back to work for a active job

I Met w the surgeon i have a small hihatal hernia I knew this already so my plans where to have it repair when I have my sleeve my surgeon is say that he don't want to do the repair at the samething as the sleeve cause of infection control but I'm confuse cause everyone I've talk to on here has had it repaired at the same time I'm thinking about finding a new surgeon but the guy is experience and very sweet but I don't want to have to have a second surgery to repair it it's bad enough I want a TT after all this I just think that's to much surgery on my body I've already had two surgeries on my stomach area plus taking off from work and then another surgery hernia take 6 week before your release back to work for a active job

Find a new surgeon. There are a lot of people that have hernias repaired while they are in there. Mine did.

Hi Ebonisekim,

I would talk to your surgeon and advise him that you are requesting the hernia be repaired at the same time of your vsg surgery. Explain to the surgeon what you've mentioned. If he still says no, then look for another surgeon. I had both done at the same timeand everything is fine. I know how hard it is to find a good surgeon so hang in there. Good luck on your journey. :D

I think some of these surgeons like to break things up cause the make more money Ice told him about wanting both but not in so much detail I'm call Monday cause I got to figure this out before the sumit

I think some of these surgeons like to break things up cause the make more money Ice told him about wanting both but not in so much detail I'm call Monday cause I got to figure this out before the sumit

I think you're right about the money being an incentive for surgeons to break it up into two surgeries. You're also right about all the reasons for having the hernia fixed at the same time as the sleeve surgery.

Look for a new surgeon. One factor you mentioned as a reason for keeping him is that he is sweet. That is not something I would consider in picking one. I would choose an ethical surgeon with successful experience.

I believe you need to be as proactive as possible and tell the surgeon you want the hernia removed at the same time of the surgery. If he senses that you will seek another surgeon that will do the repair at the same time, he will most likely change his mind. My surgeon's practice has decreased by 30% in her own words. :) Just info...

I think you're right about the money being an incentive for surgeons to break it up into two surgeries. You're also right about all the reasons for having the hernia fixed at the same time as the sleeve surgery.

Look for a new surgeon. One factor you mentioned as a reason for keeping him is that he is sweet. That is not something I would consider in picking one. I would choose an ethical surgeon with successful experience.

He is sweet but not the reason for picking him I also said he was experienced as well but sweet is a plus I've researched on him for 9months I'm very confident in his work one of my doctors also got sleeved by him I just think money is the motive for not wanting to do both he also said that it's easy for infection to spread by doing both but is confusing when so many have had both

Yeah that doesn't sound right at all.my surgeon repaired a hiatal hernia when her sleeved me. It's very common in overweight patients. I saw the eob from my insurance and he filed for each procedure so he was reimbursed by insurance. Maybe your surgeon isn't confident with doing the repair. Does he primarily do bariatric surgery?

It's a surgical place that specialize in most stomach surgeries and bariactric surgeries I had my hihatal hernia repair once by another doc five years ago but she doesn't do the sleeve it came back do to pregnancy I will definitely talk to him about this cause I don't wanna have to have another stomach surgery

My surgeon said that if the hernia is small, he usually doesn't repair it when he does the VSG because once you lose weight, the hernia shrinks and you don't usually need it repaired, so he feels that it isn't necessary. My hernia is large, though. So, he will be repairing mine during my VSG surgery.

I don't mean anything by this, but, do you really mean hiatal hernia or a surgical hernia somewhere else in your abdomen? I ask only because it is virtually unheard of for a bariatric surgeon to not repair a hiatal hernia while working on your stomach. Hiatal hernia occurs at the connection between the esophagus and the stomach.

I don't mean anything by this' date=' but, do you really mean hiatal hernia or a surgical hernia somewhere else in your abdomen? I ask only because it is virtually unheard of for a bariatric surgeon to not repair a hiatal hernia while working on your stomach. Hiatal hernia occurs at the connection between the esophagus and the stomach.[/quote']

Yes that's what I mean mine is small but I could see it w my clothes on to me it's large but looking at x rays it's not

It is not surprising that a surgeon who does bariatrics would not want to repair an abdominal hernia or an inguinal hernia, that takes a different kind of surgeon and specialty. A hiatal hernia is in your diaphragm where your esophagus passes through and that is what we are all talking about when we say our surgeon fixed a hernia for us. That's inside and you would not be able to see through clothes or skin, so I am guessing you are referring to an abdominal hernia. This type of hernia can require mesh and all kinds of things to fix, and is usually repaired by a general surgeon, not a bariatric surgeon.

It is not surprising that a surgeon who does bariatrics would not want to repair an abdominal hernia or an inguinal hernia' date=' that takes a different kind of surgeon and specialty. A hiatal hernia is in your diaphragm where your esophagus passes through and that is what we are all talking about when we say our surgeon fixed a hernia for us. That's inside and you would not be able to see through clothes or skin, so I am guessing you are referring to an abdominal hernia. This type of hernia can require mesh and all kinds of things to fix, and is usually repaired by a general surgeon, not a bariatric surgeon.[/quote']

He is a general surgeon plus a bariactric surgeon there office specialize in hernia repairs , gallbladder removal ext. and I have a hiatal hernia. His office fixed it for me once so I don't think that's the case but I don't kno something to look in to I suppose

Oh and that's not true that you can't see it through clothes I've been diagnose for the hiatal hernia so that's what it is I don't think othe ppl see I just kno it's there the my second round w this