Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 36 5' 10" 290 I really don't know what to do. I have been over weight pretty much 26 years of my life. I have tried every diet known to man. I'm very lucky man I'm married to a very beautiful woman in great shape. She wishes that I was in shape to she worries that something will happen to me and I willn't get to see our kids grow up. Here is some background info on my problem I love food, I love to eat, I eat when I'm not hungery. I was wondering if I had the lap band surgery if this will help me. Please help me out making my decision on if I should get the lap surgery. I live in houston texas what are the good drs.

Lapband is the surgery of choice for people who are 'volume eaters'.....people who are addicted to sugar usually do better with the lap roux-en-y because with the rny you cannot tolerate any sugar at all. But with the lapband you can eat most foods, but just cannot eat much 4-6 oz at a time, 3-4 times a day. But the very best part of it is...you really don't give a rip!!

After the lapband, you still absorb the nutrients in your food (you don't have to take tons of Vitamins, etc like bypass patients do) but you MUST eat high Protein foods at every meal. If you'll eliminate all bad carbs from your diet (starches like white bread, Pasta, corn, potatoes) you won't have the cravings that make our life miserable (it'll work before wls, too, of course....it's just most of us can't do it for any length of time, can we).

The lapband does require some self discipline but it's not nearly as difficult as it was pre-op. Once the cravings go and once you get good restriction on your band (and that may take 2-4 adjustments - fills - after surgery) you lose a lot of interest in food. It leaves time in your time for other more productive things!!

We are fortunate that some of the best lapband surgeons in the US are in Texas...it's been done very successfully in Mexico for years and many of our TX docs have Mexico backgrounds and connections. You should be able to get some good referrals to Houston surgeons on this board or on obesityhelp.com (go to the TX forum on that website).

Best wishes!!

Gayle

Jack.....welcome first of all!! You can spend hours and days on this forum and learn more than you could ever imagine!!! :D

Your wife obviously loves you and wants you around!! I think she's also pretty smart to want to support you in getting healthy!

If you've tried everything....I certainly had....then your next step is probably weight loss surgery. I was actually able to lose weight...but would gain it ALL back PLUS more!!!!!!!!!! :D Well with the lap band it should never be an option! I can "cheat" if I try I'm sure...but I really want it bad this time!!! I have lovingly named my lap band "Lucy" and Lucy is VERY controlling at times....overly controlling even at times! But wouldn't trade her in for anything!! She is SAVING MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!

Go to a seminar learn as much as you can and that will answer your questions....you know you down deep....it is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE BIG TIME!!!! BUt one I am so happy to have begun!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -89lbs :D

Jack, Welcome from another Houstonian. We have quite a few great lapband doctors here in Houston. I am twice your age and had fought

the fat before I was 36. I need to update my ticker for I am only 18 pounds away from goal. The best to you.:D

Hi Jack, Im not from TX but I flew to TX to have my surgery performed. Im very happy I did. No regrets here. Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do.

I'm 36 5' 10" 290 I really don't know what to do. I have been over weight pretty much 26 years of my life. I have tried every diet known to man. I'm very lucky man I'm married to a very beautiful woman in great shape. She wishes that I was in shape to she worries that something will happen to me and I willn't get to see our kids grow up. Here is some background info on my problem I love food, I love to eat, I eat when I'm not hungery. I was wondering if I had the lap band surgery if this will help me. Please help me out making my decision on if I should get the lap surgery. I live in houston texas what are the good drs.

Hi Jack and :welcome: to you. Here in Houston we do have a lot of good choices for lapband surgeons. There are several threads devoted to Houston surgeons as well. So look around, go to the free seminars to get a sense for the doctor that will be doing your work....you don't have to sign up for a consultation on the same day so you can go to a couple of seminars.

Best wishes,

Jo Ann

Hi Jack:biggrin1:

I Never Regreted My Choice. Like You I Had Try Loads Of Diets And My Will Power? and my love of food, Always Bested Me. But It Your Choice, You'll Have To Live With The Operation For A Long Time. I Looked At My Family Background As Well As My Health And I Had No Choice I Need To Take A Proactive Step. :clap2:

I Wish You All The Best And If Their Any Advice You Need This Is The Place And are the right people to Chat too. If I Can Offer Any Help Please Don't Hesitate To Contact Me. I Know Expert :D But Like Everyone Have My Own Reason And Personal Experiences.:D

Lana:kiss2:

:D Jack this is the best thing I ever did for myself and my family, the energy and the greatness I feel are all to the lap band I am now tired because I did stuff not because I got up and walked to the bathroom, think about it its a life changing experience.. for the better. If you think your life is great now wait til you losse a few pounds life is marvolous..

good luck in your search and pray about it. even if your really not a prayer leave it in higher hands and all will work out for the best it did for all of us.... Godd luck

PS If you think your wife loves you now wait till your lighter WOOO- HOOO:clap2:

Jack, welcome to Lapbandtalk. You'll meet so many terrific people here who are always glad to share their experiences with you. I cannot tell you how much I admire you for making this concious effort to take control of your life...not just for yourself...but for your wife. I can say this because I am a widow. May God guide you and give you courage to strengthen you to make the right choices. Good luck hun! Dreamer