Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was Anyone Awake During The Breathing Tube?

SerndipityHappens, thank you. I will look at the link.

Rootman,

My husband said basically the same thing that the Dr. did not have the best of bedside manners. He must have realized it that after the fact because he called my Surgeon who called me and tried to calm me down. When I left pre-op I had pretty much freaked out to the point I was not doing the surgery. But I am calmer now and I know that I have come so far to let this scare me so bad not to follow through.

Yeah, seriously, I've been through three surgeries for lapband (number 4 is in 10 days and then it will be out and I'll be sleeved) and I don't remember anything other than being nervous walking into the operating room and then feeling really good and happy as soon as they started giving me the first medication. You are absolutely not going to have a problem with the tube. I would be amazed if you can remember it in any way whatsoever when you're done. :)

I had surgery and was not awake. Mine was great! My anesthesiologist ask me before I went to surgery what kind of music I wanted to hear. And guess what he played my favorite type of music when I got into surgery. Lol the next thing I remember is waking up. Then a little more pain and I was soon on my way home. My stay will be longer this time but ok. That was my experience. I think you will do fine.

Good luck!

I was "awake" but already had the happy juice in my IV so I was in and out of it and only remember snap shots. Rolling into the operating room. The anesthesiologist team saying hi. My surgeon saying hi. A nurse holding my hand and smiling. Then fuzzy...lots of movement but not sure what was happening. When he placed the breathing tube, I coughed and apparently I glared at him when he asked me if I was ok (he told me this when he came to check on me post op and we laughed about it). They completely numb your throat so you don't feel it...I just felt a strange slight pressure which made me cough. Within seconds, I was back out of it and in what seemed like the blink of an eye I was in recovery.

YOU WILL BE FINE!!! :-)

@BKMama thank you. It freaked me out pretty bad. It is definitely nice to know I am not alone in this. Again thank you.

Oopsie- sorry.

I meant to say I am a paramedic. We intubate people almost every shift and there is no way you could be awake because you would still have your gag reflex and that would prohibit the placement of the tube. I would confirm that you will at LEAST be sedated.

Best wishes! You will do awesome!

@firebelle10 he said that they would give me something for my nerves and the pain first, then numb my nose and throat so that even though I am awake I won't really care about what is going on.

@firebelle10 he said that they would give me something for my nerves and the pain first' date=' then numb my nose and throat so that even though I am awake I won't really care about what is going on.[/quote']

I can't wrap my head around why they wouldn't put you out completely but I am by no means smarter than an anesthesiologist. Have faith that he knows best for your situation.

Ill say an extra prayer for you!

My anesthesiologists were very nice and told me I would be asleep for the placement of the breathing tube, but may feel it coming out if I was awake. I was extremely scared, about the breathing tube, and about being put to sleep. I said a prayer, and was very calm before going into the OR. No meds had been put into my IV yet. I was pushed in there, then they asked me to scoot onto the operating table, and place my feet against whatever thing was at the bottom of the table, then I had to stretch my arms out. Then they put a breathing mask over my face and told me to take some deep breaths. Then one of the anesthesiologist started to talk to me and told me everything was going to be fine and that they were beginning to put the medicine into my IV, at that second, all I remember thinking was "gee his eyes are such a pretty blue" and the room started to look weird, the next thing I know I heard them calling my name and saying they were wheeling me to my room. I don't remember the tube going in or coming out. Don't be afraid, I will keep you in my prayers, for a quick recovery, you'll do fine :)

I am a paramedic also. You can intubate by just paralyzing someone but it is not done often. They will sedate and give you something to make you not remember anything prior to paralyzing and intubation. You will be fine. :)

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I can't wrap my head around why they wouldn't put you out completely but I am by no means smarter than an anesthesiologist. Have faith that he knows best for your situation.

Ill say an extra prayer for you!

My understanding is that they do it if they think they could encounter any difficulties intubating you after anesthesia is begun. It's not because the anesthesiologist is a sadist, if he does it prior to putting you out, it's for the safety of the patient.

My understanding is that they do it if they think they could encounter any difficulties intubating you after anesthesia is begun. It's not because the anesthesiologist is a sadist' date=' if he does it prior to putting you out, it's for the safety of the patient.[/quote']

Yes-that makes sense.

I'm sure she will do great- especially with all these prayers and good thoughts headed her way.

@SerendipityHappens that is exactly what they told me. I probably over reacted but his attitude about it was not very comforting to me at all. @fireball10 and @LadyK thank you I really appreciate the extra prayers.