Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved Yet To Be... (A Mini "story" Book)

Once upon a time, (about 2 years ago) I lost about 75lbs :D ....and then unfortunately, I regained most of it back. :( It was the 1st and only time in my life I was ever able to lose weight, I was no where near skinny-but was beginning to feel good in my own body. It didn't last, and that's what scares me most about WLS, no matter what type I have (if I ever get that far). I fear that I will lose large #'s again, and then fail with regain.

My husband previously had a successful the roux en-y surgery, so I with the same office I was expedited through most of the classes and appointments, (I made myself available anytime they said they had an opening-which is key) and as a result, I quickly got approved by the dr. I chose the roux en-y when I 1st began the process because I was most familiar with it and knew the band was too much maintenance, and had been told the sleeve wasn't an option with people who had gerd. My leave was approved through work, and I was ready. The day before my surgery I had my 4 hour pre-op; I still hadn't received a final authorization from my insurance so I asked about it. The nurse went to check, and I was then taken to a private room to be told that I had been denied by insurance because my BMI was too low and I didn't have the approved co-morbidities. Even though I had a long list of health issues, history of my own and family obesity, as well as trouble with weight loss; because I was not "heavy" or "sick" enough I could not get the surgery I'd been preparing for. I was crushed.

So long story longer-much stress, several hoops jumped through and pounds gained later, I was told I was approved on 11/27 and if I wanted (which of course I did!) my surgery would be the 2nd week of Dec.. So... I made arrangements with work again and got pretty excited. Imagine my surprise when I received a call from my dr.s office 2 days later to tell me that it was bumped to Jan., date unknown.

I'm waiting to hear back what day my "new" pre-op is. It's supposed to be the 1st week of Jan., then surgery soon after. I'm mentally exhausted from the process and am not sure how much more of this I can endure. I just want to get it done. I've fulfilled all of my responsibilities...

Despite my frustration at the process, I'm excited to be here with all of you. I've promissed myself I'm having WLS no matter what-even if I have to self pay. February is the cut-off date I'm setting for my dr.'s office/insurance to get my sleeved-or to Mexico I will go. ;)

BTW-Has anyone else gone through this? And did anyone else have trouble chosing RNY vs. VSG or change last minute (what made you decide?) Thanks all!

I had decided on the RNY and was in the admissions office at the hospital. The clerk told me that my insurance would only cover a certain amount and my difference would be double what I had planned, and they wouldn't say why. Hubby called his insurance provider, they had previously said that they would cover the difference, but upon hearing the amount they wanted a special meeting with me. During that meeting the head Doc told me that they had had 3 patients die, and was I sure about this. This hit me in the face.....I started thinking of my children, I want to see them get married, etc. I changed to the sleeve and had it one month later. I am so pleased with my decision. I'm six weeks out tomorrow, I've lost 40 pounds.

Thank you so much for sharing your story Catherine. I'm nervous about the change from rny to vsg, hoping it's the right one and that I can use it best to my advantage. I want to lose as much weight as possible with my tool, and I really worry about the fact that I love sweets. From what I've read, the sleeve appears to only affect how much I could eat of them, not prevent me from it.

I am still debating the surgery... I went in wanting to do the lap band, however after learning about the sleeve I think it might be more beneficial for me. My BMI is 41 and I do not have any major health concerns, so I am hoping I don't get denied. Eeeek!

I am still debating the surgery... I went in wanting to do the lap band, however after learning about the sleeve I think it might be more beneficial for me. My BMI is 41 and I do not have any major health concerns, so I am hoping I don't get denied. Eeeek!

ANH-funny story, the dr.s office actually submitted my 1st request to insurance with the band last march. i didn't know that until they told me i had been denied. they thought i would have a better chance of approval when my bmi was lower. not so sure i'd have gone through with it even if approved at the time, as i just don't feel the band is for me. there is a lot of maintenance and too much opportunity for me to control it. not a fan of that. i was totally pro-gastric bypass up until recently when i thought i was going to have get surgery in Mexico because of my insurance issues-then i started reading A LOT of stories about the sleeve, which led to more research, youtube videos, etc. now i'm 70% sleeve, 30% bypass, and a 100% nervous